1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In 2011 Public Event - Raleigh NC July 19 2011

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lencap, Jul 19, 2011.

1. lencap

lencap Junior Member

Just returned from the public meeting at the Plug-In 2011 Convention in Raleigh, NC. The meeting is an industry gathering, with tonight's event the only opportunity for the public to attend.

A few observations - the place was packed. I don't know the attendance, but it wouldn't surprise me if it exceeded 3,000 people. That's for an event that started at 5:30 - 7:30 with an open viewing of the hall exhibition, a screening of "Revenge of the Electric Car from 7:30 to 9:15 PM and a Q&A panel from 9:15 to 10:00 PM.

All the major EV manufacturers were represented - with the notable exception of Tesla. Nissan announced that starting Monday all people on the Raleigh, NC Leaf reservation list will be able to order 2012 model cars for delivery this year!! The 2012 price is increased, but the content is increased as well. Still stuck with the first generation charging system. The new one won't be available until the 2013 model.

Which led several people to wonder if the Leaf team waited too long to deliver their cars. Like many I've had my $99 reservation in place for over a year without any hope of getting a car. Now that I will be able to order one for delivery this year, I have second thoughts. The gen II charger upgrade is a big deal - the Leaf won't have it for another year. In a few months I can get the Ford Focus EV or a Volt today - both with better internal charging.

The Focus EV is impressive. FAR better materials than the competition. The Ford rep noted that the car is produced on the Focus assembly line. They expect to offer the same options as the gas Focus. Lots of options, and lots of interchangeable parts. Should help keep insurance costs lower as repair parts will be readily available. My initial impression is that the Ford EV will be a very competitive car.

The Volt was very popular with the crowd, but I found the interior materials quality to be behind the Ford. The car itself seems reasonable, but even the dealer rep admitted to "free market prices" at dealerships. I asked specifically about dealers getting rebates on cars and reselling them as used vehicles. He seemed surprised to hear this. Hard to believe that he was surprised, but if he was that is pretty scary. This story has been on forums for months.

Good news on the charger front. First, both Duke Power and Progress Energy in NC will provide FREE chargers and installation IF you allow them to monitor your electrical charging usage and patterns. If this applies to you call the company and ask to speak with their "plug-in" team. Other utilities are also moving in this direction - check locally.

The manufacturers are also moving away from dedicated charging vendors. Nissan no longer requires that you purchase your charger from their preferred vendor. Ford has the same policy, and Volt appears to be moving that way as well. Siemens seems to be very aggressive to get into the market. Prices are coming down rapidly. Good news for everyone.

All the car manufacturers are aggressively pushing for added Federal support. None of them know what will happen, but they all suggest taking advantage of today's rebates. Not too surprising for them to recommend buying their product now, but it may be a good idea. With uncertain Federal and state budgets maybe a bird in the hand is a good strategy.

Interesting support evident as well. AAA has "mobile charging" trucks ready to go. They will provide 440 quick charging for depleted EV batteries. No idea if there will be any added cost for this service, but it's good to see.

Raleigh NC has begun adding EV recharging stations is all municipal parking garages and public building parking lots. For now the charge will be free. No firm numbers, but "hundreds" of stations are planned.

Wish I had more to report, but the hall was really designed for the industry - the public was a last minute addition. Glad to see the large public support. Frankly, the convention sponsors were surprised to see the large turnout. I'm glad to see is as well.

After my brief view behind the curtain I feel that the EV is a real product, not a "vaporware" car story. Infrastructure seems to be coming along as well. The Chinese proverb "May you live in interesting times" seems appropriate.

1 person likes this.
  2. mberman

mberman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wanted to just reply, since I worked on the event. First, we planned Public Night from Day 1, which is why we had such a great turnout. We've had Public Night every year. Even though Plug-In overall is an industry event, we set aside one night for the public to see the exposition hall and get additional information. In Raleigh we had about 1,300 Public Night attendees, which matched our turnout in San Jose in 2010. A great response from the Research Triangle Region!

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks for sharing. :)

4. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome to get to see the Focus up close...I have been very interested in it.

No plug in Prius there?