1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in auto`s germany converter query (similar to enginer)

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by glyndwr, Feb 13, 2013.

1. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    been in contact with plug in autos about their system and suitability of parts in case my enginer 4kwh kit goes faulty, with a view to maybe purchasing replacement parts of them in the future.

Just read some data on thoer web page about the converter, looks the same as the 5000 watt enginer converter, but they state the output from the converter is up to 20 amps.

I have recently had a dc clamp meter on the output side of my converter whilst running and the highest mine will get to is just short of 12 amps. The reading on the enginer display and the reading on my dc clampeter were marginally different, but within a few tenths of an amp, so not miles away.

Does this mean that my converter isnt outputting enough amps, and if it is the case, what is the procedure to adjust the amps to a gigher output. I can forse then a heat issue but with living in the UK we are quite cold here (even in the summer) so maybe over heating of the converter may not be so much of an issue here in the uk as some of you guys get in the US and elsewhere.

What are you thoughts on this.
    Thanks for your input.

regards, Anthony.

2. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sure, you can adjust it to 20A -- if you want DTC codes thrown all the time. I would get periodic codes thrown even at 13A. And by the way, when this happens it also usually causes the Prius to go into "limp" mode where it disables the hybrid system until you pull over and restart the car. Very annoying, especially at highway speeds!

Also, in my experience, during the summer months, the DC-DC converter tends to overheat and shut itself down even when running 13A (~3000W). I can't imagine how much it would do that when running at the "designed" 5 kW output.

3. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Plugin auto DC Converter come in different current settings. 15 amps for a Gen2 Prius and 20 amps for the Generation 3 Prius. The Generation 3 Prius will not throw a DTC due to high current.
    15 amps is the limit for a Gen2 Prius because it will throw a DTC if the difference in current readings between the HV battery current sensor and the inverter current exceeds 15 amps. I found that it is this DTC which causes the Prius to shut down.. However you can get around this by bypassing the current sensor and avoid those DTCs. There is another DTC you get when the Gen2 Prius does a SOC check but this DTC does not cause the Prius to shutdown, it just disables the HV battery and uses ICE only. Adding a current sensor bypass prevents both DTCs above from happening.

4. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for those replies, very intuitive.
    I have got the Gen II. 2004.
    I have only got 1 DTC so far and thats when the stock battery went low after driving probably too much in ev mode.

I think then I shall leave it as it is, as i dont want to have DTC`s when the wife is driving it.
    Although i fitted the kit myself and consoder myself to be skilled ( am a mech eng) I am not converstant with the wiring of the prius and wont feel confident in bypassing the current sensor, although it does sound like a great idea.

Thanks for your views, Anthony.