1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in conversion yet ?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by jstack, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    we are still trying to get a 3rd person ready to get the plug-in a123 option.

As I posted in the BIG Build It Green subject we have a 2nd location that can convert your prius to plug-in. They have an extra big capacity lithium system for 40 mile range at modest speeds. You can even go up to 50 mph in all electric mode.

Products - Main

1 person likes this.
  2. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Almost plugged in.
    I finally have a plug in conversion shop that is local to Phoenix almost ready to make my 05 prius into a plug in.
    It will be able to go about 40 miles all electric at up to 52 mph. It will have lithium batteries.
    I'm hoping for a date close to Earth Day 4-22-2009. As soon as it's done I'll be sure to post any results right here.

Until then I bicycle to and from work, The weather has been perfect for weeks.

1 person likes this.
  3. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm finally driving a plug-in prius. My 05 is being converted and I have the loaner plug-in to learn on and practice. It's really nice and getting high mpg is much easier than in any standard prius.
    The one I have only has the 4 kw lead acid option. It's able to go 10-15 miles in all electric depending on speed etc.
    Mine is getting the 10Kw lithium option that will be able to go 30-40 miles all electric at up to 55 mph. The loaner is good but I think the lithium option with a full 10 kw will be great.
    July 4th is really freedom this year. no more oil 99% of the time. Green motors inc is really nice.

1 person likes this.
  4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice
    make some pictures please.
    love to see it.

and the specs on the 10kw battery pack?

1 person likes this.
  5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be nice to be able to get an off the shelf conversion here.
    Of course depending on price I'd like to give it a go.

1 person likes this.
  6. chenyj

chenyj Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1 person likes this.
  7. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got a 10 Kw plug in supply plug in conversion. It better than the new VOLT since I have a 40 mile all electric range. I've had 100+ on trips to 60 miles at 55 mph so far.

I just got a scan guage so I'll be able to see full 3 digts of mpg instead of 99.9.

What a neat option to have, plugging in is so nice.

2 people like this.
  8. chris_wass

chris_wass New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds awesome! Is your gas mileage still good when you drive over 55mph? This would have been awesome for me when I had a suburban commute on surface streets. My commute is mostly highway now, often going over 60mph.

1 person likes this.
  9. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I GOT IT. It's better than I could have imagined.

We get 200-600 mpg everyday. I can go about 100 miles at 100+ mpg before it drops back to regular mode.

I can push a button and go pure EV for 30-40 miles anytime I want.

Best of all I had it done locally at greenmotorsinc.com that's Green Motors Inc dot COM
    They did a super job and it works great. My wife even gets 200-300 driving to and from work, she's 12 miles from home and now drives smart just like any prius to get the best mpg.
    Oh What a feeling, ,,,,,

1 person likes this.
  10. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice! For the min price difference you might as well buy the 10kw kit. Might be a great option for when our battery needs replacement.

But it makes me wonder if the Prius' electric drivetrain was designed for longer distance, dedicated EV mode.

1 person likes this.
  11. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have my 2005 conversion with a pluginsupply system with 10Kw lithium batteries. We get 200-300 mpg most days . My wife got over 600 a few times on her 12 mile drive to wiork.

I can also go 100% electric for 30-40 miles on city driving at the push of a button. The hybrid mode is always there if I need it.

Maybe I will pull out the old gas engine and tank someday.

This is an amazing conversion and I got it right here in AZ at greenmotorsinc.com

You get a $5,100 federal incentive to plug in. What a deal.

1 person likes this.
  12. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so what did you pay in total now with that 5000 dollars.

1 person likes this.
  13. drsurd

drsurd New Member

How do you get the $5100 fed incentive to plug in? The fed incentive for conversions is 10% credit last I saw...so on a $12,000 conversion..you would get $1200 credit...where does the other $3900 credit come from?

1 person likes this.
  14. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    my pluginsupply.com 10 Kw lithium system has been great. My wife drives to and from work and at tiems to lunch on all electric power. It has a 30-40 mile range.

We can also go super hybrid at 100+ miles with 100+ mpg.

I had it done right in our area at greenmotorsinc.com
    It has surpassed by best expectation.

1 person likes this.
  15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ?? you already posted that in your post nr 30...??

i guess its because you had it done right in your area at greenmotorsinc.com
    and It has surpassed your best expectation.:D advert:D

1 person likes this.
  16. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did mine with a pluginsupply.com 10 Kw lithium system. It's better than I ever dreamed. We go 30+ miles in all electric mode at up to 52 mph. We didn't buy gas until Dec 6th from Sept 9. It's so cool.

It was less than trading for a new 2010 prius and better.

1 person likes this.
  17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    So, I'm putting this in perspective.
    You expend on or about $12K in a PHEV kit, almost half the value of the vehicle, that is saving you an average of $5.10 every 50 miles and unsafe to drive with the 52 MPH limit "hack". An expensive option.
    For 1/3 the initial investment, you could had a similar PHEV product that will help you save at least $2.70 to 2.85 in the same distance.
    I'm not endorsing any other equipment in particular, but there were and still are other options out there.
    People, please, do your research and equipment selection wisely.

18. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice to know there are substantially cheaper options out there. Sounds like Enginer is a part Chinese product so hopefully they did their homework. Do any of these products come with a warranty?

1 person likes this.
  19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Not only Enginer, also you can buy CAN-view with a positive record tracking of outstanding performance and customer support in case of need for directions.

1 person likes this.
  20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Jstack, Glad to see you are satisfied with your conversion, that is all that counts. Your getting great mileage! To all other members interested in conversion I have a question: Has anybody in California done a conversion, that is: DTY. Did you use Engineer? Total costs? Results? Unfotunately Californians are penalized when converting, an extra $1000.00 ( California is a incredibly CHEAP state, by cheap I mean Chinzy) As far as I can determine there is no incentive from the state. I suppose the federal 10% still applies. " Also Chinzy" Should I be totally incorrect on any of my positions, by all means, correct me! Should any politician be reading this, please respond and tell me why Californian government is worth a damn. That is to say if you have the cajones.:mad: