1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in electrics, they're just not plausible right now

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Manolo1, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thread.... I think it proves more that the question we have to ask is: will there every be a plausible time to release EV's? And since the wrong thing to do is sit around and wait for things to be just right we are better off just taking the plunge.

2. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They already exist.

You can take your pick of lithium-titanate from Altairnano (charges in 10 minutes) of lithium-iron-phosphate from A123 systems.

Both work from -30oC to +50oC and can perform thousands of cycles with little degradation. Both are also flameproof (no danger of thermal runaway as per ordinary lithium-cobalt-oxide as found in your laptop battery).

The only issue is cost, each company is selling their batteries for around $1,000 to $2,000 per kWh. However BYD are producing similar spec LiFePO4 batteries for under $300 per kWh already with more room to reduce costs further.

3. Jim Calvert

Jim Calvert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Someday" may be sooner than most expect if what a company called Eestor is saying bears fruit. They recently announced that the development of an ultracapacitor is complete and manufacturing is nearly ready to proceed. The Zenn Motor Company (maker of NEVs and - soon - EVs) will be very happy when manufacturing actually starts, as will Lockheed. :)

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been hearing 'almost ready' from EEStor for years now.
    When I see a car using there technology I'll believe it. For now, good old 8 hour charges with a range of 100 miles gets my money.
    Don't get me wrong, I love what they SAY. They have just been saying it for a very long time.

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spreadsheet for PHEV ROI - does one exist?

Is there a spreadsheet that can help determine ROI for a PHEV setup?

You'd think that here in Quebec, with ultra-low electric rate and ultra-high gas price, the payoff would be quicker.

Especially with newer PHEV designs that are cheap, and LIPO4's availability.

Most likely my 7+ months of temperatures below 30 deg F would negate any PHEV savings...

Still, would be cool to be able to figure out.