1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Plug-In Hybrids No Greener, Or Even Worse, Than ICE Models, Study Finds

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Prim.e.xample, Oct 20, 2020.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Carbon Counter from MIT for different style vehicles - actual facts in visual form to add to discussion. There is a box in upper right hand corner to add actual vehicles if someone is interested. When plot opens it shows all styles of vehicles and their impact on the environment. Prius Prime is one of the very best performing vehicles for low impact to the environment.

Carboncounter.com

Carboncounter.com | Cars evaluated against climate targets

This link seems to change

#61 John321, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The latest generation of mild hybrids are doing a lot better. They are even approaching or even surpassing some full hybrids in terms of driveability and fuel consumption.
    I have coworkers with VW 1.5eTSI engines which use less fuel then I with my Corolla Hybrid and the engine is more powerful with a lot more torque and I have to drive very carefully compared to their more spirited driving styles. Especially on long motorway journeys the Toyota hybrid falls through in my opinion.

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You can get the same fuel economy as your friend. All you have to do is to use the same technique. Lie. :)
    (Old joke from the oil embargo of 1974)

The Golf 1.5 eTSI is rated 41.3mpg. That's 47% more fuel than the Prime uses but it puts out 150 HP so should be faster. Maybe they are using a 1.0 eTSI? that's only 110 hp, and has the same 0-60 as the 1.8l Corolla hybrid. but even so the corolla is rated 54 mpg and the Golf 1.0 is only rated 45 mpg so that does not fit either? (All specs from http://www.encycarpedia.com)

Just from those figures I don't see the Golf giving outstanding mileage AND great acceleration at the same time. I've only driven 5 Toyota hybrids. One of the things that I like about the Toyota design is that all of them got the published fuel economy AND low emissions even when driving it without regard to the hybrid systems. I just drive it.

Dan

4. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla is rated at 4.9L/100km which 48mpg according the WLTP cycle which is also the consumption I can achieve.