1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in option for v?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by vsuirpsteve, Jun 18, 2013.

1. vsuirpsteve

vsuirpsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is there or do you think that there could be an plug-in after market option for the prius v so we can charge the batts on the grid?

Or do you think that charging the small already available battery would not be worth the cost of buying a station. I have seen that the Ford C-max has a version that has an extra add-on battery for doing just that.

Just curious pros n cons.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am hoping that the next re-design, (2017?) Brings the PHV to the v. I suspect it depends how well they sell.

The 7 seat versions in Japan and Europe have a Li-ion battery in the center console, while the 5 seat versions have a NiMH battery behind the seats. Putting a Li-ion battery in BOTH places may allow a PHV in the current design. (or so I dream)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with plug in supply, but be very cautious. and with all aftermarket plug in's, you have to know your stuff.

Passthepump likes this.
  4. vsuirpsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Very cool bisco! Nice to see that it exists even for the Prius v but dam wicked expensive! Looks like $1000 per KW. So that could definitely be a great upgrade option rather then down the line selling for a new model.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wish Toyota gave the v a bit more battery than the liftback. I find I can drain my battery quicker than my previous liftback, especially when I'm using the a/c on hot days. I'm hoping my newly tinted windows will help on the warmer days.

6. vsuirpsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That would be nice but that would probably jack the price point up and tinted windows I think does little. I was just saying that to myself today when pulling out of the driveway...I look at the battery and see it drop like a lead weight when in electric mode. Do you know how much kV capacity the v has?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, your car is not designed for electric driving, the battery is to assist you in increasing your mpg's and reduced emissions. you get your best mpg's by not driving in ev.

8. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    engineer is out of business, it's just a very tough challenge and not enough customers.

10. Maz94protege

Maz94protege New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    a Plug In V with a 10kWh battery would be awesome with an ability to get around 25-40 miles on electric. Only way this would also help is the electric motor was a few kW stronger to be able to push the accelerator without the gas engine kicking on as much.

Its possible....I wish they would think about doing it.

11. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You willing to dish out another $10k?

12. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It seems better with the Lithium Ion battery, it takes longer to drain and it charges up quicker than my previous Gen3 (liftback).

13. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish we could have the L'Ion battery here in the US. I would gladly give up the storage in the center console for the battery if it meant I would have more storage out back.

14. vsuirpsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Still looks experimental but getting there...to bad for the other guys going out of biz. 10k for the extra mileage...brain is tired to do a cost average analysis. It just is cool to know that there are people out there pushing the limits!

15. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One way to cushion the lead weight's fall (make it easier on the battery) is to force the engine to start immediately when you climb into the driver's seat then give it a minute to run while you fasten your belt, tune the radio, etc. to get it out of stage 1a before moving the car.
    I've done this for the past couple of months and have seen no evidence of a mileage hit. On the plus side when you do start driving the electric motor's peppier (due to a higher state of charge) and you can use the engine to accelerate, as intended. It's guaranteed to be easier on the battery.

16. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <duplicate post>

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, don't quote me on that $10k. Was just throwing a number out there.

18. Donrim

Donrim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Besides considering an aftermarket battery for the Prius v, there are growing choices for plug-in cars to fit various driving needs. In my case, I have a 2012 Prius v level five and a 2013 Chevy Volt. Interestingly, they weren't that different in price after all the incentives. The Volt (fully optioned) was about $45,500 MSRP - $3000 Chevy incentive - $3000 dealer discount - $7500 federal tax credit - $4000 Illinois rebate = $28,000. A base Volt starts at $39k.

My wife drives the Prius v and averages ~50 mpg in summer and ~ 42 mpg in winter. The Prius has more room in the back than the Volt so it gets chosen for hauling stuff and longer road trips. It's hard to beat the versatile interior volume you get with that gas mileage.

With the Volt, I average 875 miles/month and pay ~$15/month for the electricity used. It costs me 59 cents in electricity to drive my daily 34 mile commute to work (all electric). Gas prices in Illinois have been $4+/gallon for regular for months now. The Volt has 7k miles on it and only 200 miles with the engine running. I've only added 3 gallons of gas three months ago since I bought the car. The Volt does not use the engine at all when running in EV mode - even under full acceleration. My electric range now in summer is 51 miles. In the dead of winter in Chicago, my range drops to as low as 37 miles with minimal cabin heat used. Range will drop more if you blast the heat but you can also use the engine to assist with the cabin heat if you choose.

Chazz8 and markabele like this.
  19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What are local utility rates per kWh?

20. Donrim

Donrim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My rate is just under $0.07/kWhr total.

I could possibly save more if I switched to a variable rate plan that offers lower night rates. My Volt is programmed to charge between about 1 AM to 4 AM.

Air_Boss likes this.