1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-in Owners Plug In More

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Jun 8, 2013.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I challenge you to find a Leaf owner who is not middle class (or above).

Mike

2. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I predict that you are 99.9% incorrect on this and all (sizeable) workplaces will almost exlusively install official charging stations and not just a bunch of 110v outlets.

Mike

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Depends on the incentives for doing so.

4. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I don't think so. (the real incentives are below)

Consider this...let's say an employer is going to install 20 charging stations. Option 1 is to put in 10 dual cable ChargePoint stations. Option 2 is a bunch of 110v outlets. In either case they need to install a new breaker sub-panel, spend a huge amount digging trenches and running wires, filling trenches, repaving, putting up signage, etc. The additional cost of the "real" charging stations is small. The real charging stations make it more obvious these are special parking spaces. The 110v outlets can easily be used for anything else...unknowing employees could plug in extension cords, power strips, multiple cars etc and easily trip the breakers. Who resets them? Where are they?

The ChargePoint stations (I'm familar with since my work has these) have their own breakers and automatically reset themselves, requiring no staff to keep them working. They provide usage reports, by ID card to the business. They are "safer" when considering plugging in/out while raining, etc. Allows the adminstrator to "cut off" someone who abuses the system or leaves the company. And is more convenient for the employees since it doesn't require them to bring their own EVSE, unplug and coil it up and put it in the trunk in the rain. And you get L2 charging amps.

Mike

drinnovation likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are already workplaces in the north providing the outlets for engine block heaters. So the issues of providing them aren't major. So it is just going to come down to cost to the employer for most cases. I see most not bothering with it in the near future just because they won't want to pay.

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV

But this is exactly my point....the reason you are (have to be) middle-class to own -what is basically just an electric Sentra- is because of the high cost of the batteries today.
    As the cost of batteries drop, LEAF-class vehicles will find their way to those "not quite middle class" - I know that definition is contested and constantly changing, but let's just say those in the market for entry-level vehicles, nothing more.
    Meanwhile, those who car afford a LEAF today would most likely wind up going for a Volt or Fusion Energi tomorrow, as the prices on those drop.... and so on.
    Regardless of how your describe the buyers, the pricing formula still holds:
    250+mile Tesla-class EVs > Volt/Fusion PHEVs > LEAFs/iMiev

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another reason to have a robust public charging infrastructure is that EVs lose range as they age.
    Nissan says LEAF could lose 10-20% over 5-10 years. Imagine all those used EVs coming onto the market, and the (higher-than-usual) range anxiety of the owners.

Even new buyers are less likely to have range anxiety, and more likely to buy an EV, if they know they can charge up anywhere, anytime with minimum expense, If they can't afford the 200-mile EV, then a 100-mile EV without good public charging is a deal-breaker.

8. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let me fix that:
    250+mile Tesla-class EVs > Volt/Fusion PHEVs > LEAFs/iMiev > basic gas car > nice used gas car > old used gas car > no car

:)

Mike

markusw and Scorpion like this.