1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in Prius or LEAF?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cireecnop1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys and gals!

I need help deciding which car to buy!
    I came here because I know you’ll have some good opinions for me. Its between the PIP and the LEAF.
    I work 10 hour shifts and have a 61 mile round trip commute that is 95% interstate driving. The PIP would be a nice choice if I can figure what my MPG’s would be with 20miles of EV and 40 of HV. I can charge the car both at work and home. The LEAF is the greener choice since my house will have Solar panels in a few months and I will be able to charge at both point A and B but any farther than that and I will have some major planning to do.

What do you think? Pure EV or a really efficient HV with some EV. . . .

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Will this be your only car? If so, how often do you take long road trips (anything over, say, 75 miles)?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why not one of each?

;)

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good question. If one only keeps a Leaf, then long trips w/o any ability to charge in between or on other end are out of the question.

If the OP's not already at Nissan Leaf Forum - Online forum for the Nissan Leaf Electric Car, there's a wealth of info there.

If the goal is completely to eliminate the use of gasoline, then the Leaf is the clear choice.

1 person likes this.
  5. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be my primary vehicle. With my commute alone I am expecting 20,000 miles.

Every couple of months I will be travelling to Denver (100mi) to take some classes for work but Denver is chock full of Level II stations. My partner still owns a GenIII Prius for cross country vacation trips.

6. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My One Way trip to work is 14.2 miles and I can ReCharge there.
    The PIP is great because I usually only need a few HV Miles, yet I can use the car for Long Distance trips too.

If I had to drive 30 miles One Way to work AND if I had another vehicle for Long Distance trips, I probably would get a Leaf as a Work-only vehicle.

EV miles are cheaper than HV miles.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think if I were in your shoes, I'd get a Leaf.

Being that you have a GenIII you could use for longer road trips, the 61 mile daily commute would best be done in a Leaf. Even being able to charge at both points, you'd still need to run on gas in a PiP. Something to look into though is the Leafs cold weather range (if using the heater and how the temperature affects the battery). But being able to charge at work means that won't affect your commute anyhow.

Something else to consider, with a bigger battery in the Leaf, you get more "free" electricity from work :D.

1 person likes this.
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, i am confused.

you can plug in at work

you are getting solar in a few months

so what is the question exactly? is it should i pay for gas and double the payback time on my solar...or NOT?

you currently have a few Priuses so that means you live with someone and you dont carpool.

like wow, what are you waiting for?

1 person likes this.
  9. Jetsurgn

Jetsurgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I were you, I'd get a Leaf.

1 person likes this.
  10. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, seems like your situation is tailor made for a Leaf!

1 person likes this.
  11. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really wanted to hear what you all had to say. The Prius is an amazing car , I should know. But the LEAF is pure electric and can totally be powered by the sun but has its limited range, or at least, "time delayed range."
    I am doing a Power Purchase Agreement with Solarcity and had to pay my lease up front so I won't have the funds to make a down payment until near the end of the year.

12. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    What happens if you get to work one day and all the chargers are taken? (I guess you could carry a long extension cord ...)

Your commute is 95% Interstate driving. High speed gets fewer miles out of the PIP's EV range. How does it do with the Leaf? (Edit - Oops - missed that the 61 miles is round trip. That should be fine.)

And it might not be a drawback, but won't you have to borrow the Prius for the Denver trips?

13. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Did you consider the Honda Fit EV ? It is supposed to have 123 mile city range. Honda is going to have some available for lease - 2013 Honda Fit EV Overview - Official Site

14. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually there are no "chargers" only an available outlet that the city installed for the fire trucks to keep the diesel engines warm so I am assuming the AMPs are enough.
    The Leaf should get me about 70miles on the interstate @ 60mph, its uphill oneway the trip home isn't a concern.
    I would have to borrow the Prius, so my car would stay with him while I take his out of town. If I had a PIP on my days off the PIP would have more than enough EV range to do things around town. and once I get to Denver in the PIP I could use EV around the city. . . .hence my dilemma

15. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Its interesting, but the FIT is one F-ugly car. But that city range is nice, its kind of an even playing field to since all the models I am considering are in their first generation of design. . . no true reliability issues to consider. :cool:

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that might be just about perfect!!

the 2012 Leaf had a price increase due to poor exchange rates on the Yen. the TN plant will crank up this fall and produce US made Leafs and eliminate the poor exchange rate so expect a price drop for MY 2013

as far as range concerns. you are going 30 miles one way. even in very bad weather, you should have little problem. keep in mind the 2013 comes with 6.6 KW charger so charging time will be halved (you wont need it anyway)

also a more efficient heater system will be employed as well (you will want that!)

some background. Saturday, i will roll 15,000 on my Leaf. i will have had it exactly 15 months a week from yesterday. now, my mileage was low at first. i had a 4 day 12 mile RT commute but started a 5 day 50 mile RT commute April 2nd.

i have yet to see any battery degradation. (i have an aftermarket meter that monitors the amount of charge. i pretty much ignore the dash info) and we have a Leafer in Kent, WA who rolled 35,000 miles on his Leaf and also no battery degradation (he got his Leaf May 11, 2011 so its another "2Fas4u; Leaf version!")

but last year, i was saving about $50-70 a month on gas verses electricity driving the Leaf. this year after the gas price increase, its just over $100 a month.

now, we used to switch cars to even out the mileage on the Prius which was on a 64 mile 5 day commute (reduced 3 months ago to same commute but 4 days a week) but now we are even (Leaf does a bit more miles because its the "errand" car)

the other thing is the "drive electric" experience. that alone makes it all worth it. that you will have to see for yourself. its not something easily put into words

2 people like this.
  17. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    If it's a normal 110v outlet, then a full charge from empty would take 20 hours. If the battery's nearly half down, it's unlikely to get back to full charge in a workday. But you'll get enough to have plenty of safety margin to get home.
    A 70 mile range with a 61 mile commute doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. So if for some reason you can't charge at work on any given day, you might have a nervous trip home.
    Driving within Denver won't be that many total miles, nor will your days off.

18. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks DaveinOlyWA !

From what I found the 2013 LEAF won't go into production until December, that's too close to the end of the year for me. I need to get the tax credit from Colorado for 2012.

Thats great to hear you have a LEAF with so many miles, I wonder if it will keep performing as well if its getting 20k miles in under 12 months.

I have one question for you , Would the changes on the 2013 be enough to make you want to trade in your LEAF for the newer model?

19. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats a good point about the total miles around town and the trips to Denver. My commute will be the main mileage maker. . . :eek:
    The return trip home is mostly down hill even though its at highway speeds I don't see the LEAF range dropping drastically on the way home.
    Another concern that a co-worker just mentioned (I'm at work now) is what happens if the Interstate needs to be closed, which it has happened before, and I am stuck either at work or on the Interstate with a heater running all the while draining the battery. . . Point to PIP ?

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leaf for sure. You're a perfect candidate!