1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Prius: real winter driving

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by john1701a, Nov 12, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    16 miles in EV and 17 miles in HV. Pretty impressive under that weather condition.

The efficiency breakdown is roughly 313 Wh/mi on electricity and 45 MPG on gas.

5,000 Wh / 16 miles = 313 Wh/mi

34 total miles / 90 MPG = 0.378 gallons used. 17 HV miles / 0.378 gal = 45 MPG

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Blah. Driving was even worse today. The snow transformed into heavy dry masses mixed with stretches of chunky ice. It was an awful recipe for commuting. Traffic was nasty. Needless to say, I was able to test out my theory right away.

On my morning commute, the slowdown area was after getting the interior nicely warmed up. I shut off the heater and fired up my tiny USB-powered fan. Sure enough, it kept the windshield clear, allowing me to drive from there on in EV without getting cold. On the way home, I simply turned on the heater and let it warm up the interior. Traffic was nasty from the start. Turns out though, there was plenty of EV anyway, even when the need to turn back on the heater came.

Thankfully, we don't get storms that often and most aren't anywhere near that bad. This just happened to be an ideal opportunity to observe and interact with the extremes firsthand.

Here's the final data:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a slight improvement despite worse condition.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is this usb fan you speak of?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A fan of mine. Just kidding. :D

Where do you plug it in? If it is inside the center console the cable will have to be quite long.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :LOL:

It's just a tiny thing, about a 3-inch blade. I got it for just $8 last summer, complete with the USB wall-adapter and a surprisingly nice tilting stand with grippy rubber feet. Unfortunately, it's a season item. I checked Target to see if there were any still. Maybe something like that is available online.

I plugged it in underneath the console and set it on the dashboard. There was plenty of cord length available. The fan just happens to fit nicely between the gear-selector and the front cupholder too.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cool, so it doesn't have to be close to the windshield for it to work.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No need. There just has to be a decent amount of air being circulated.

9. Great post John.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazon's got a bunch of them, but which one to buy?

11. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Need pic of fan setup :)

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Commute traffic this evening avoided the side roads, since they are still a mess, despite the temperature climbing above freezing. That meant some pretty heavy congestion on the main highway. That also meant my first ever opportunity to drive EV entirely to depletion on the 70 mph route.

29 minutes of electric-only bliss. I was quite pleased how far I got, even climbing out of the river valley without the engine starting. The downfalls of Winter are turning out to be quite enjoyable having a plug.

The screen that's display when you shut off the Prius is quite informative. Seeing 150 MPG for the drive was quite satisfying, certainly not what anyone else on that road was getting. It makes the cold season less stressful...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was only experimenting. So, there isn't any "best placement" info to share. In fact, I didn't even use it today.

The need really doesn't even emerge until you start dealing with temps below 20°F.

14. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah well it's routinely -10 C and lower here now... More than a few times I've had to start the ICE solely to defrost the windshield. A fan setup like yours would go great with the heated seat on and ICE off ;)

15. I bought a 12V fan for $1.79 plus free shipping on EBay. Seller: schfstore. I have several fans that look just like it, except they are 110VAC.

16. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey real winter drivers...

I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread or if this is a good spot to have this discussion...

I've got a problem that has recently cropped up and I don't have the slightest clue how to resolve it. The inside of my windshield is frosting up in the morning, so much so that I have to scrape it. I never had that problem in my '06 Prius. Older threads on PC have suggested checking things like recirculate (not on) and sources of water (heater core leak, leaky weather seals). Considering that my car is but 9 months old, I would hope I do not have either of those problems. So, is anyone else in winter weather seeing this and what do you do to resolve it? I do not want to have to scrape the inside of my windshield every morning.

(I have a very short commute that I can do on EV alone, but having had to turn on defrost and jack the temperature up to 70 just to be able to see out of the bottom half of my windshield, I got a whopping 16 MPG on my drive to work this morning.)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm having pretty good luck using the foot/windshield airflow selection and outside air setting and fan on low. but the feets get pretty cool at 32 degrees and i think i might need some heat come january. john1701 has purchased a small usb fan and points it at the windscreen. i don't think there is a perfect answer until spring comes!

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Moisture needs to be purged when you power off. Simply open two opposing doors/hatch and give it a minute, the time you spend setting the timer and plugging in. Otherwise, it stays trapped inside the warm car and ends up adhering to the windshield as the vehicle cools.

An alternative is opening the window shortly before you park. For me at the ramp for work, I need to do that anyway to flash my card to get in.

20. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I too had frost on the inside of my windshield this week.