1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Prius: real winter driving

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by john1701a, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you guys never driven in cold weather before??? Having frost on the inside of the windshield is nothing new in these parts.

2. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And these parts are where??? :cool:

You may want to update your profile.

3. Yea, but, not many people live in Antartica!

lensovet likes this.
  4. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure my car ever really gets warm since my trip is so short (0.7 miles to work, 1.7 home [due to inconvenient one-way roads]). Even when I am on longer trips that require me to use HV mode, I almost never turn on the heat. I don't mind it being cold and actually I prefer that over being warm in the car. Occasionally I will need to turn the fan on with the temp set to LO and I've been using the defrost/foot airflow setting if the windshield gets foggy when I am driving. But that does absolutely nothing for removing fog/frost in the morning.

I'll try the door/hatch thing for a couple of days. I can park and open the doors, plug in, run up to the mailbox to fetch my mail, and see if that helps at all.

5. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have lived in PA my entire life, and at my current location for 7 years, and I have NEVER had frost INSIDE my car until now. So yes, this is completely new for me.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're not saving anything by not running heat when in hv mode, so throw on the front defrost button when you need it and crank up the temp.you can run it intermitantly if you get too warm.

7. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not doing it to save anything... I just prefer to be cold because I get carsick easily if I am too warm. But if I am shooting myself in the foot somehow by not using the heat, then I'm willing to give it a shot if it means I don't have to scrape frost off the inside!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    better to be carsick than in an accident because you can't see, and i think the windshield will clear before the car gets too warm and then you can shut the heat/defrost off. you can always open a window!:)

lensovet likes this.
  9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually had this happen the other day to me as well and was meaning to post. Now, since it's never below freezing, it was water rather than frost…but still insane. Massive condensation on the inside, and ONLY on the windshield, and I have NEVER seen something like this in over 7 years of driving in NJ and CA.
    So Stacey, please do keep us posted on what ends up working for you.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    btw, I have one of those lithium USB chargers. It's a pocket-size rechargable battery with USB output for recharging other devices on the run. It can power the USB fan. ;) That adds a whole new dimension to portability.

11. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll definitely keep you posted. The frost was so bad this morning that I gave up on scraping and walked to work instead. I cracked the windows so the moisture could escape while it warmed up in the sun. Might go check on it at lunch.

I think it might be worth starting a new thread to keep the discussion all together for anyone else who ends up fighting with this issue. So my next update will be the new thread and I'll point back to the start of the discussion in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for all of their suggestions so far.

12. Driving back early this morning: temp was 34 degrees in the Hotel Garage. No frost, but I had quite a time keeping the condensation off the inside of windshield. Tried everything. Max fan, Front defrost Heater, turned temp lower, then AC came on, could not get inside air unless defrost heater coil is off, turn that off and window starts clouding up again. The fact that is was dark did not help either. Normally The car is parked in my garage which is much warmer. So conditions make a big difference. I finally was satisfied with the clarity about 25 miles down the road, by then it was also daylight. I think Toyota missed the boat on thier defrost system, it can be difficult to get the balance just right. It was the same thing on the Gen 2, I remember that I was constantly having to make adjustments. I think basically the flow of air is insufficient at the windshield.

13. I attached a telltale to the inside of my windshield and discovered that without the front defroster on, the amount of air going thru is min to none. However if you max the airflow and turn the defroster element on, the air will really blast thru. So driving in EV and having a clear windshield on cold days may not always be possible, ( depending on conditions ). Telltale was made from a thin strip of toilet paper and attached with scotch tape.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This morning, I gave the "all defrost" mode a try. It's that button which disables the usual foot/dash blower and routes all output to the windshield. Knowing that air always circulates even when off, I was curious how much. Unfortunately, it was too warm today to notice any difference.

Prior to warmup, that is. Afterward, there's the coolant reserve to tap from for several minutes at a time. With my 2010 in stop & slow traffic, the heater cycle was about 8 minutes.

The telltale is an excellent idea.

15. Full defrost air = defrost switch on, &/or AC SWITCH ON = Engine warm-up = drop in mileage. Totally contrary to the Hybrid Synergy concept. I believe all the other cars I have owned always had air flow at the windshield if desired and that was with heat or no heat. This was a incredible design goof by Toyota, especially since thier main aim is high MPG.

16. Above post is a direct challenge to all Prius Chatters to prove me wrong. If you cannot, this is a legitimate complaint to be brought up to the Dealerships when bringing the car in for service.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    High MPG is not the main aim. At no time has that ever been the primary purpose. Low emissions has always been paramount. All through the 15 year history of Prius, gas has been sacrificed for the sake of optimal population control operation. Sorry if you believed otherwise.

Of course, since you can blow outside air directly onto the windshield without the engine starting, I suspect there is some other missing information at play. Just setting the temp to "LO" will blow outside air through the vents, rather than using the heater.

lensovet likes this.
  18. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which "vents" are you refering to? When I choose Defroster, I have found that is not always true. Even if I set it to LO (fan & temp) immediately after starting up (before the 10 second "limit") the ICE will fire up. Mind you it's averaging around -10 C here now and that could be why (remember the magical -10C temp point that causes the ICE to run more).

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is no window of opportunity available. Make sure the AUTO setting is OFF and the temperature on the heater is set to "LO" prior to shutting down. The limit assumed is actually a delay. It's already too late if you didn't.

Don't forget that there are other criteria at play, like how cold the battery-pack is. Recharging just before departing likely helps.

20. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But where should I direct the air? I want to try it out just to keep the windshield clear and use defrost. The seat heaters keep me warm but the windows fog up.