1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Plug-In Registrations By State

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Sep 20, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeff Cobb of HybridCars.com has been putting this interesting graphic in several of his recent articles. As many of you know, it is hard to come by state-by-state data about sales of hybrids and plug-ins. So here we have a little insight courtesy the US Department of Energy.

My state VA, with among the least green car friendly policies, still shows pretty decent Plug_in sales. We still have some free HOV policies that long-time ("grandfathered") green car owners can qualify for, so that is one explanation. I've also seen several plug-ins with VA plates and CA HOV stickers (we got a lot of transplants re: military and defense).

Look at Georgia with the (defunct) $5000 credit for Nissan Leafs made in Tennessee.

I think I see Bob W, one of two Plug-in owners in his state...yes that's him!

What's the explanation for your state? Tell us below.

[​IMG]

#1 wjtracy, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    bisco and iplug like this.
  2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sales of Gas Cars Must End by 2035 to Meet Climate Goals, what does that mean for Prius?

bisco likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford says we only have 15-20 years to own cars as we know them.
    After that you will use a smart phone to order an autonomous driving robot to drop over for your house. That gives me just one more Prius to own between now and then...better be a good one!!

bisco and orenji like this.
  4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So should we even be thinking of buying a new car? By 2050 all gas cars will be phased off the roads! What does that mean for collectors? We really need to start thinking about how to protect our rights to own vintage cars!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!
    The chart explains something I noticed on our trip to Stillwater over the Labor Day weekend:
    [​IMG]
    • In Mississippi you'd have thought we were driving a spaceship
    • Only DC charger was in Decatur AL, 40 miles away, at the Nissan dealer and incompatible
    • There were Level 2 (208-244VAC @30A) chargers but gaps beyond our 72 mile battery range
    • There were Tesla NEMA 14-50s but located at RV parks but big gaps
    • No chargers in Stillwater but we used a hotel provided outlet with our portable Level 1 (120VAC @12A)
    We drove through the hybrid, plug-in, and EV 'heart of darkness.' This is where the work is needed.

Bob Wilson

iplug and wjtracy like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my state runs on 'policy'. make a law and most will obey. we have a fairly recent tax incentive, so we'll see how it goes, but to be honest, most people around here can afford expensive guzzlers, and 'personal responsibility' is not our thing.

also, we don't have any public charging facilities yet, and i don't hear any talk.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One positive to that, no Prius ownership means no Prius hate, or at least no Prius awareness.

9. JDenyer232

JDenyer232 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is just a goal that environmentalists would like to see implemented. There is no such law on the books. There will be a slow transition to electric vehicles but only so long as battery technology can keep up. The self driving uber type transportation that Ford and GM are pushing will take far longer to implement. Makes perfect sense in congested urban areas, doesn't make any sense in rural areas. Personal car ownership is part of what makes America unique. People buy cars that reflect their personality. In dense urban areas sure just hail an uber or lyft car for the few miles you need to go. My 70 mile round trip commute, it would cost far more for that trip in an uber, even if it's self driving. Self driving tech is really being pushed hard, even though it hasn't had all the bugs worked out. Remember all vehicle manufacturers have had serious safety issues relating to simple basic things like ignition switches, brakes and steering. If companies that only make cars have problems with the basic car systems, I can't wait until the first recall on a car that's using googles self driving tech. I think that after awhile the self driving fever will die down, especially if there are issues with the roll out. Using uber's and lyft's model you are at their mercy for your transportation needs, they get there when the get there, and charge you whatever rate they feel like charging you. Think peak demand charges for rush hour. Sorry but I'm gonna drive my own vehicle.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    th
    i will say, there are more than i was aware of, and we need some sort of public campaign for awareness.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    PriusChat?

Bob Wilson

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think the non ev public spends much time here.:)

13. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [QUOTE="JDenyer232, post: 2423554, member: 147930" I can't wait until the first recall on a car that's using googles self driving tech.[/QUOTE]

But you have to admit, doing a recall on self driving cars would be fascinating to watch!
    The recall goes out and all the cars line up and drive themselves right to the closest dealers to get fixed.

Mike

JDenyer232 and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for some reason, i'm picturing will smith...

JDenyer232 and bwilson4web like this.
  15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lets pretend that self driving cars are 100 times safer than cars driven by humans. That is still 3,267 fatal lawsuits a year that the car companies will have to defend.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so that is 6,000 plug in vehicles in mass, is my math correct?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a number of the chargers have comments like: it's not where they say it is, it's just a random 120 volt outlet, it was broken, it's a private company, but i charge there anyway, etc., a lot of them seem iffy, how do you go about legitimizing the good ones?

18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Near the top right corner select "more options". Then a "settings" menu opens up. From here, you can refine your search criteria, such as to select only J1772 stations, remove 120v outlets, remove restricted locations, list only DC chargers, etc.

If your area is serviced primarily by one company such as ours is with ChargePoint, you can just go to their website for a map/list. These should all be clean charging stations.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you, the only thing in the top right corner are log in and sign up.

20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Do you see a gear wheel you can click on?