1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

plug-in states and ghg

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by austingreen, Nov 11, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We have some new data in the news section about the distribution of plug-ins from edmunds in the news thread

California 32%
    Florida 6.6%
    Washington 5.7%
    Texas 4.3%
    New York 3.5%
    Ohio 3.1%
    North Carolina 3.1%
    Illinois 3.1%
    Tennessee 2.9%
    Hawaii 2.9%
    Total 67.2%

Which has the top 5 states all producing electricity with less carbon intensity than the national average. It is interesting that the next 5 produce electricity with slightly higher carbon intensity than the national average.

When you put them all together though, using the epa's 2007 figures on fueleconomy.gov, and use a phev like the volt you get 216 grams co2/mile verus 260 for the national average grid, and 222 g/mile of the Prius. I used the volt because the prius phv, leaf, and tesla S will all do better in this comparison. That does not account for the cleaner grid in the last 5 years, for all the people using renewable, nor does it include the 32.8% sold in the other 40 states. Accounting for both groups I would expect plug-ins are slightly less carbon intense than indicated, but that is gut feel, and I do not have data on the number of plug-in owners that use renewable electricity.

Two things stand out. Getting a plug-in vs a prius without renewable electricity won't change your carbon foot print much. Buying renewable electricity and a plug-in will not only reduce the carbon intensity of your car, but also of your home, and reduce dependence on foreign oil and unhealthy pollution. Also YMMV, and your own driving profile should help determine which plug-in if any is appropriate for you.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are trying to say that a Prius, or a plug-in that uses the grid have similar carbon footprints. This is true for states with relatively low carbon intensity grids like CA, and not true for many states that have considerable input from coal.

I thought this had been beaten to death; I must have posted this conclusion 100 times over the past 2-3 years.

dbcassidy likes this.
  3. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'd guess hs point was that "average" that certain people keep pointing out is ignoring distribution of where hybrids/EVs sell, and when one considers that distribution, the GHG from sales of EV/PHEVs in those states brings the "average" down.. so that even on a weighted average sense, PHEV/EV is winning. (I've made the argument but never pulled the data to compute the average.. so kudos for Austingreen for doing it).

austingreen likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The people that push the idea of an 'average' grid are usually *EV advocates who are tying to ignore the reality of marginal emissions. The somewhat over-simplified truth is that local marginal electricity production determines the carbon footprint of the grid using *EV owner. The footprint ranges from combusted NG to combusted coal. Most people fall somewhere between the two extremes.

E.g., pretty much all electricity use in my city of Albuquerque is from one of the most polluting, inefficient coal plants still operating in the US -- the San Juan power plant. About 27% energy efficiency power-plant to wall, and emission pollutants that are off the wall. So while I really like the LEAF, I cannot buy one without increasing my carbon footprint and other pollutants dramatically.

I know the standard answer is: put up PV. It is not a bad answer in general, but it does not work for me.

dbcassidy likes this.
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is clear that PiP has the optimal battery size to lower emission no matter which states it got sold. Using US average electricity, it raised the bar with 210 g/mi. This is out of the box experience without the need for "special" electricity nor pay extra for the faster charger. You also get the same cargo space and don't lose a rear seat.

It is a relief that that most of the Volt sold are in CA. If most gets sold in WV or CO, the emission will be much higher. The appeal would be limited nation wide.

6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think the 210 is significantly lower than the 216 for the volt where the great bulk of phevs are sold. You know the weighted average? If you do, then surely it would be worthwhile to buy, you know that special renewable electricity. I certainly didn't mean this should be a prius versus volt thread, only a thread to discuss weighted average, versus national average for phevs. They certainly don't appear to be evenly distributed on the grid.

IMHO I don't think either is signifiacantly lower than the prius (222), unless you purchase that special electricity, or live in a low carbon state like NY as you do where YMMV but epa says its about 190 for either plug in. Of course my special texas wind is less expensive than your ordinary NY electricity. And somehow the city gives you a free charger. I can't really ask for extra coal electricity at home to get the intensity of the US average. YMMV and I do think you picked the right plug in for you.

7. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It is not an optimal battery size for lowering GHG in a place with clean energy.. the lower GHG of the PHV is because the Prius started with a more efficient and cleaner engine -- if the PHV had a larger battery it would have even lower GHG. It maybe optimal for profits, or balancing their idea of space constraints.. but not GHG for anyone using clean energy. And if they don't have clean energy, then better off not using EV mode.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to get a lot from this data, other than CA is obvious market leader for Plug-Ins.
    More interesting data would be Plug-Ins as % of car sales per state, and then we could try to understand why?
    Some states may be higher due to green attitudes, some higher due to business reasons (eg; Leaf factory in TN), some higher due to state incentives. But this is really quite early stage to draw conclusions as PiP for example has not yet rolled out nationally. Also Plug-Ins % of sales is small compared to hybrids.

Not sure why hybrids so popular in VA except to say quite a few long commutes here, so even with zero state/fed tax incentives, people see the cost reduction merit of hybrids. But I could not add that in since Hybrids were excluded from the post.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know the weighted average for PiP because I have not seen the sales breakdown. CA should be the biggest market for PiP and it is rated 190 g/mi there. The weighted average should be somewhere between 190 and 210 g/mi and that's from a midsize plugin. For a compact plugin, I would expect its emission to be lower than a midsize one.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not every state has clean electricity. For a plugin to sell in all the states, you'll have to consider the worse case scenario, not just the best case. In that sense, PiP has the optimal battery size because using average electricity, it lowers emission over a regular Prius.

Are you suggesting a manufacture to design a unique model for each state or region?

Here is the emission of PiP and Volt by states. Do we need a new Volt model (with less EV range and more efficient gas engine) for those states with red spikes?

[​IMG]

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see CA and WA are lower carbon fuels due to hydro availability, but the other states like FL pretty heavy on coal/nukes. Low carbon intensity doesn't impress much per se...for me we need a way to calculate electric generation eco. impact whereas something like nukes has an significant impact/cost. I would agree home solar is low impact, but little fuzzy to say green elec can be justly pro-rated to EV's use and that makes EV green. Yes this is the vision of many EV supporters, but not universally agreed to.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you are at least thinking about weighted averages now, and not trying to assume the pip will sell uniformly across the country. This is not a phv versus volt thread, it is a weighted average and how to get there thread. What is the impact of plug ins on ghg, coal, and the grid.

My best guess is the prius phv is around 200 g/mi. We can not really use the edmund's statistics here, as toyota has chosen not to sell the car in 6 of the 10 best selling states for EVs. I would expect that a lower percentage of prius phv owners buy renewable electricity because of their car, and that more of the drivers will be in California. I would really like to see renewable purchases to do a full analysis. Unfortunately we don't have an onstar tracking system to figure out percent of electric miles, but the high percentage of prisu phv in california with long commutes in the hov lane may reduce electric mileage percentage.

This sort of begs the question of why the prius phv has not rolled out yet to the highest selling plug-in states. There appears to be some carb politics going on. As we can see plug-in sales will be uneven in the states. Targeting West Virginia an unlikely plug-in state does not do much good. Its hilly which will drop ev range and has few initial adopter types. Colorado does have some of that decreased ev range, but also has a large number of initial adopters and a good wind program. Texas is number 4 in plug-ins but number 2 in cars sold. Long distances and moderate commutes favor phev over bev here, and most plug-ins are concentrated in the four big cities. When you just count those its a high percentage of plug-ins from a small amount of dealerships. Texas has easy renewable and many initial adopters that will favor plug-ins, but high heat that may hurt battery packs. Texas just needs more choices -phev trucks and SUVs, and they will move right behind California in plug-in sales.

We can see from c-max pricing that with government incentives the small pack doesn't buy you much lower cost. Most of the costs are in doing a plug-in in the first place. I would say that is not optimization for the US market. Toyota seemed to target Japanese incentives and commutes.

You can at least expect them to design them for places that reach their target market. Why skew your idea of optimal to those people with very long commutes that live in coal states and won' buy renewable. That seems like you are targeting a negative market. The gen IV rumors are around a 20 mile range, which seems like a better trade off for the american plug in market. If 11 was optimal, they would be sticking with 11. YMMV and individuals should choose the plug-in best for them. Its good to have choice. Nissan is pushing 29 miles for average daily drives in their new commercials, maybe 30 miles pack is optimal for the american phev market;), 20 has the best trade offs for a prius, and 100 for a bev.

Zythryn likes this.
  13. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every state has the option of clean electricity -- just like every driver has the option of buying a clean car or a SUV, you pay your money you get your choice.

If you want to argue optimal, lets see something formal. If the PiP can lower emmisions over a regular prius with its current battery, than a larger battery would lower it more. The weight from a slightly bigger battery is very small compared to the energy difference between CD and CS Modes.
    If you want to argue that the weight gain would be more than offset by losses lets see some estimations.

We dont' need unique models for each region.. if you buy a PHEV, just pay for green energy. If your state supplies it you are probably already just paying for it via higher rates (like Cali) so you don't need to pay extra. If you are in a state that does not pay have it by default, then step up and buy renewable.

In terms of PHEV/EV, for anyone that really cares abotu GHG (not all do), your chart is only useful for people to know if they need to buy renewable.

austingreen likes this.
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was wondering about this claim too. From USB's past posts I suspect he was relying on the idea that short trips avoided on a cold ICE by using battery are greener than long trips where the ICE has warmed up.

Put another way: EV beats a 35 mpg ICE, but not a 50 mpg ICE. I'm not really sure this pans out in practice, but it is an interesting thought.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Florida is an interesting state
    AEE: Florida Electricity Generation Capacity by Type

You will notice from the chart a few things. Coal is fairly fixed amount of electricity and decreased slightly through retirement this last decade. Its percentage is slowly decreasing. Natural gas generation has greatly increased in the last decade. Florida has a lot of oil generating capacity. There also is the question of repairing or keeping the damaged nuclear plant off.
    Decision on Crystal River nuclear plant repair likely delayed again - Tampa Bay Times

At least through 2009 Florida used a lot of oil to generate electricity for peak air conditioning usage. As we can see from the screwed up ballots, that state is majorly slow in fixing things, but I hope the new solar and natural gas will end the need for oil peaking generators soon.

Florida is an excellent state for both plug-ins and solar. In the summer that solar will offset a peaking generator - natural gas or oil - and the car can recharge at night with more efficient combined cycle power. If natural gas prices stay low and more solar is added, it will become uneconomic to operate the coal plants in the winter. The power will be replaced with the combined cycle gas plants that will be happy to efficiently charge the plug-ins at night.:) Green energy can only be applied to the ev if it was bought for the ev and not resold in florida to a company like progress energy. The net impact on green house gas for the country from ev salse is a big reduction in greenhouse gas though. Buying wind in colorado has more of an impact than solar in california, though because of what it and the RPS specify.

Oil electricity and a damaged nuclear plant are the bad news for florida. Adding more plug-ins and solar should help with the transition to cleaner air.

Seniors love complaining about the cost of gas going up, and bragging about how much they saved - alright, I know its a stereo type. Many don't drive very far. I can definitely see if toyota gets a prius phv and maybe a lexus ES phv sold in florida, there may be a whole new market for plug-ins:) These folks won't likely add solar to their homes, but they will be much more efficient than the cars they are driving now.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think Toyota's objective is to squeeze the government incentive dry. PiP was designed to be practical yet produce measurable results in gasoline saving and lowering emission. I think they balanced it out very well for being a global plugin.

US government incentive is not tied to the goal (of saving gas or lowering emission) but rather to the battery size. It should be updated to promote the goal.

C-Max Energi (7.6 kWh) cargo:
    [​IMG]

PiP (prototype with 5.2 kWh) cargo floor raised:
    [​IMG]

Production PiP (4.4 kWh) cargo:
    [​IMG]

Clearly, PiP battery size was chosen to not rob any cargo space or a rear seat.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to EIA, 13% of the electricity is from renewable. Cars are not the only thing that consume it. So a plugin that is only clean when running on renewable clean electricity would have a limited appeal.

As mass-produced plugin need to be cleaner than a regular hybrid using average electricity. That's what Toyota did with PiP and GM fell short with Volt.

Not necessarily. C-Max Energi (240 g/mi) increased emission slightly vs the hybrid model (236 g/mi). That's because the gas engine efficiency sufferer from the extra weight. The battery also robbed a good chunk of the cargo space.
    The cost-effectiveness of adding more battery goes down as the battery size increases in plugin hybrids.

dbcassidy likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...FYI see my comments on "EPA" Cargo space under the PiP sticky re: Plug-In comparisons.
    Pics are good! It can be hard to compare cargo space based on specs because in EPA apparently allows quoting with seats down etc, so when you read the spec numbers these days you have no idea what the basis is. I agree that PiP has about 15.6 cu ft ~= 15.7 cu ft (GenIII) based on Canada specs.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  19. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting point, but USBs data was based on EPA numbers which have no model for short trips and ICE avoidance.
    If they did, the Volt would car much better in the testing. Instead the models for emission testing, using J1711 standard do run multiple cycles (UCCS and HWY) with depleted and full charges and then average. Since 63% of the trips have no ICE starts, one would think that would be good for emissions, but the current test procedures don't actually work that way. For the CD testing, they run it until it does start (so it always has at least one cold start) and then let it finish that cycle. So in their testing there are always "emissions" for the CD legs. For the CS, they run cycles after the battery is at minimum SOC, and measure emissions. They then take a weighted combination of the two based on standard utility factors. Their models for emissions does not include any model of engine starts, just miles. It is also significant that the CD, which for the volt is the heavier weighted section, has an emissions penalty (with a cold start) so the utility factor ignores that for trips < AER, the car would have no emissions. So while the PiP reducing short-trip starts is a good thing, that is not visible in in the GHG or EPA emissions data.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WV has among the best tax incentives for Plug-Ins because they feel coal instead of gaso is a good thing.
    So don't rule out WV....check out the mayor's vanity plate below.

Mayor meets with fellow electric-car owners&nbsp; - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -