1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in supply DIY install, alittle help required please

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by glyndwr, Jul 4, 2013.

1. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all,

I have just acquired a PIS kit from here, delivered to the UK, so only had the electronics, cables, etc, no box (too big to ship).
    So, as the guts of the stsyem was removed from the steel battery box, i have a few questions with some items, so here goes with some pictures.

there is a diode in the middel of a bar that huoses the fuse, contactors etc... what does that do, and what connects to it,

which cables form the kit connect to the prius hv battery ( i am not sure these are with the kit i may have to make them, if i have xcan you recommend the corect cable guage please.)

Which cables connect to the add on battery (this kit was for lead acid, but i will fit lifepo4) havent got those yet mind.

Anyhow see the pics and theres a few comments on the pics where i need the help. Thanks.

I am not ready to install yet, maybe in a few months, i am still using my enginer kit that is working well for me, fair pay.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

mrbigh likes this.
  2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for a slow response, but I haven't checked here in a while.

This doesn't look like any PIS kit I've ever seen. Are you sure it's not a PlugInSolutions instead of a PlugInSupply kit?

3. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi MJFrog,

Yes it is a plug in supply, albeit a few years (maybe 4 yrs old) old but not used. I havent got the steel battery container where this electrinics set was located as it was to big and heavy to ship to the uk from the states.
    The kit was for the 6v lead acid batteries. I intend using it with lithium lifepo4.

Thanks for the reply.

Anthony

4. glyndwr

glyndwr Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OK, think i`ve worked out the wiring,

pic 1, these wires go to the -ve and +ve of the battery pack
    pic 2, one to the 240v power supply, the other to the charger
    pic 3, the white connector is the charger output to the battery pack, the black/red coupler to the prius hv battery
    pic 4, connects to another cable set of the loom
    pic 5, a diode if you want to connect the pack to stop regen charging (i`m assuming) as it only allows flow in one direction, so in my case not used.

I am pretty sure this is correct, but please advise if not so in order for me to rectify it.

I plan in installing the kit inthe next 2 weeks, got the batteries, 70 x 33ah cells in series, i`m building the battery box now, got the charger, at the moment i`m going to use 5 meanwells in series with psu1 having a current limit mod. going with celllogers for battery cell monitoring and limit setting, and a jld404 for upper and lower voltage cut offs as a back up to the cell loggers in case of a fault.

I`ll post some pics of the install as it happens. Looking forward to getting it in now and seeing the benefits over the enginer system.

Thanks, Anthony.