1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Supply DIY

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by PriusDIY, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Frog... really appreciate all your posts here, you've been the most consistent and detailed of the members who've installed the Plug-In Supply kits...

I'm interested in the 10kwh kit myself for my 2012 Five. Have you started a thread here detailing your install- have I overlooked it? EDIT: Found your thread here after some looking: PIS 4kwh PHEV kit assembly and installation odyssey | PriusChat .When I look at the install instructions on the Plug-In Supply site- they're scattered and sketchy with just a smattering of written instructions. For $8500 (10kwh kit) I expect the seller to supply a decent detailed manual with a parts page and step by step highly detailed instructions for the full install/operation/troubleshooting of the kit.

Thanks... Rob

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, very much lacking. Unfortunately, I have yet to finish the Install document I was working on...not that it was any kind of requirement I was under...I just figured Robb could use a bit of help. Almost all of what I was writing is in the thread you quoted.

The current tank I'm on (second one since I finished the install), I'm averaging 185 mpg over 992 miles (5.35 gal used per Scangauge). I was actually over 200 mpg at one point, but had to make several trips over the holiday weekend beyond the range of my 4kwh pack. BTW, I've been using OOG mode as much as possible to get the mpg that high. I bought a 15 amp remote relay switch to avoid digging under the hood to pull/replace the fuel pump fuse, but just haven't gotten around to installing it. I need to add a 15 amp in-line fuse to the relay as well.

If I'd had the $$$, I'd have gone for the 10kwh kit...but I'm reasonably pleased with the performance I've got from the 4kwh kit anyway. One tank of gas every month and a half or so is pretty good I think.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seriously considering the 10kwh kit because I think it may be ideal for my normal route. I drive 26mi to work (20mi on three lane 55mph rt495- my average speed is 62-65mph )- I also just found that according to the Charge Point site- there's a FREE charging station about 300 yds down the street from my job- so that would be ideal. Under ideal conditions I could charge up for free while at work- drive all the way home on battery- not have to charge at home- then drive almost all the way back to work on battery the next day- right to the Charge Point station- start the recharge- then 3min walk to work. It would be really sweet!

Aside from not having the funds saved up yet- I'm very leery of plopping down $8500 without knowing exactly what is and isn't included in the kit and a full comprehensive and detailed write-up of the installation procedure applicable to my particular vehicle with that exact kit. Is that too much to ask from the seller of a rather expensive system that is very labor intensive to assemble and install?

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻
    Eventually, PIS will have an installation guide for most of their products.
    With the cheaper version of their Kits, the DIY kind of ones, it will be labor extensive to put the batteries together in an assembled form, you may ask and read "frog's" adventure with his DIY 4 Kw system.
    I would with until few of these are sold and provide a real live experience in the road to judge quality and the ease of operate and maintain.
    I'm in the same boat, awaiting to upgrade my PiP for a longer electrical range.
    So, where is that Charge Point located at? Babylon or Stony Brook?

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Frog's thread was very informative- lots of soldering, connecting, so on- even more with the 10kwh kit!
    My local Charge Point is on Griffing Ave- across from the Riverhead Supreme Court. I work on Griffing Ave... :)

6. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    The 10kwh kit uses a different type of battery than the 4kwh kit. Where the 4kwh kit has wires going from the BMS to the battery terminals, the BMS for the 10 kwh kit just bolts on. You still have to solder connection wires between each of the BMS mini-boards, but that's a lot less work than 76x2x2 solder joints for the 4kwh kit.

BTW, it's "Frog", not "Fog". Michigan J. Frog--the WB mascot.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here are some things/questions I believe need to be considered by anyone considering a PHEV conversion:
    Has anyone with a PIS kit (10kw or otherwise) been able to achieve 62-65 mph in EV aor AEV mode? I haven't heard of one yet. The website says its there but what have actual users experienced? From what I've gathered, and reading posts, the "updated" hardware has not been provided to anyone yet.

MJ is using OOG mode which means 52mph is the fastest speed available. I have the following concerns about this mode:
    1) If you need to use speed/acceleration to avoid an accident, good luck. Acceleration in OOG mode is anemic at best.
    2) If you deplete the pack, or otherwise need to revert to normal hybrid mode, you must pull over, turn the car off and then back on to revert to normal hybrid mode (and in MJ's case, replace the fuse).

If you're not using OOG mode, what is the real world mpg with the kit? There seems to be no way to avoid the cat converter warm up cycle unless you install an "EV" mode switch which severely limits speed and incurs additional cost. You can limit the cycle by installing an ECT spoofer but that doesn't come with the kit and isn't readily available to the public.

And... (personal opinion to follow), the Prius (PIP is an exception) is not designed for "EV" only operation. It is designed as a gasoline car with electric assist. It is also biased for emmisions first and efficiency second (this is why you have the cat conv warm up cycle). The electric motors are not designed to solely power the car and electric only operation severely limits acceleration. If the Prius cannot seamlessly transition from EV to ICE w/ electric assist (as the PIP does), operation of the vehicle in EV only mode is unsafe (just my opinion).

lensovet and [email protected] like this.
  8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's some good news- I do soldering almost every day at work- but the less I have to do the better!

Oops... typo fixed :whistle:

9. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried, and I haven't received any updated boards as yet. All things considered, I'd have bought the 10 kwh system if I was determined to do hwy driving.
    I agree with your concerns regarding OOG mode. I choose to accept the limitations and risks in order to accomplish my goals (within my mean$ anyway). BTW, the fuse is only pulled out momentarily and then replaced after a short pause. If I ever get some time in my schedule, I've already bought the remote control relay and I just have to install it.
    Before I started using OOG mode, I was getting between 135--150 mpg on my commute. I've been able to get over 200 mpg using OOG mode. At start-up time, the kit automatically puts you into EV mode. So, if you can keep your speed below 32 mph you can run electric all day long. Good luck though, I found it almost impossible to stay that slow. Without OOG mode, I've been able to drive all the way to work (~17 miles@ ave. 35mph) using only .07 gallons of gas (per Scangauge reading). The major problem I've encountered NOT using OOG mode is trying to keep the engine and cat converter warm enough to stay on electric only.
    Mostly agree. You can't haul around a big chunk of iron under the hood in EV without being inefficient and slow. But it's better than using lots of gas. At low (<45 mph) speeds, if you use caution and traffic volumes are low it's a reasonably safe way to drive.

10. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This company seems very shady, i was thinking of buying a kit but the only way i would release any type of money to them is if i picked up a pre assembled kiy directly from them. Anyone know if its possible?

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you ever get your "ECM" board which will provide "an even more agressive EV mode"? We haven't heard anything from you for a while. Is all still going well?

12. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  13. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try sending Robb an email asking if this was possible. I am sure he would like to see you in person when you pick it up and see a gun owning Prius driver. You can ask Navy whether he is still trying to sell his PIS kit.

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know of anyone that has seen the ECM but, I would really like to know if Kruz was provided the ECM as promised and if so, how well does it work?

15. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    whats his email i wouldn't mind meeting him myself.

16. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just met with Robb this morning in California. Wish I would have seen post this and could have asked for you.
    Check his website for contact info.

I guess the question is are you willing to pay for the labor for someone to assemble a kit for you?
    Anything is possible if you are willing to pay for it. (Plus the shipping to get it to you.)

[email protected] likes this.
  17. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can definitely sympathize with people's concerns and frustration. It seems like they could be a lot more upfront about what the real status of the kits and availability of parts are when taking people's money. On the other hand I'm really glad that PIS is making an effort to keep these kits accessible to the DIY community rather than only selling through an installer network as many others have, despite the challenges that go along with trying to support individual users. The new piecemeal DIY structure seems like a positive step, getting PIS out of trying to play the middleman between the suppliers and customers and providing DIY users with more flexibility and some additional potential cost savings.

Navy I think you are right, I don't think anyone has actually gotten the extended EV mode ecu yet despite the fact that its been advertised for some time. Hopefully it showing up on the DIY price list now is a good sign that its actually rolling out. Its interesting that they note its not recommended for the 4kWh kit, I assume due to the increased load on the smaller battery. IMHO even without that function this seems like one of the best kits out there for the semi-custom DIY crowd. With that function, it seems like a clear leader. Hopefully existing users will start getting them soon so we can see some real world feedback.

Rob

SteveWlf likes this.
  18. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    [email protected]

19. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  20. Gun owning Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well i emailed him asking if i could drive up there And pick up a ready to install kit. Well see how long it is to get a response.