1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Supply DIY

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by PriusDIY, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Iget100mpg

Iget100mpg EV/PHEV Converter

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also would like to get my hands on an ECM board keitttty!

As for the rear board issues, Robb informed me that there are reported failures of the latest batch of their rear boards and that a new run would be coming soon to address these rear board failures. I have 2 vehicles with these boards recently installed and neither have failed yet.

I have resold and installed PIS systems since 2007-8, and while there have been some delays, Robb has delivered what he said. Sorry to hear about your issues though. That sucks.

SteveWlf likes this.
  2. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mr 3Prongpaul

I have no issue with you slammin aka bashin PIS. Or dirty laundry(legal issues)(no open source) Having stated that and
    also havin watched you on youtube.I will not slam you ...... However this brings me the followin issues. Enginer is nothin but installers in the USA (no more ebay ) or domestic direct diy sales. Maybe you and your associates/friends/business partners sell/list various PHEV kits/parts for us common folk. Lastly who would repair a RFE lifepo4 battery pack????????

usnavystgc likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NorTex,
    We Installers) are all looking for other options.
    There are a few things in the works that still need to shake out.

Finding exact replacement cells has not been fruitful so far. Some close options exist, but they aren't exact.
    While we could use other cells, the reality is, that they will not be the same form factor, so electrically they will work, but not fit in the same space.

Also, at this point no one is willing to stick their financial neck out far enough to try to buy a huge lot of extra parts. So instead we continue to scrounge a piece at a time.

As new things surface, I will keep in touch with my customers and share what I know.

4. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have read the postings here with interest, starting with the first one. I have had my Gen II with 10kw supply since the end of March 2011. I traded my 2005 in for a re-engineered and restored 2006 by autobeyours.com and also had them install the 10kw Plug in Supply system. I have now 2 years experience with it. First, my 2006 looked and drove like a new one when Steve and his crew had finished with restoring it. This car was an insurance write off and that indeed is Steve's business and he's good at it and I'm still happy with it. There have been some problems with the Plug in Supply system but I was told there might be, and indeed I expected some early problems with it. All issues were handled courteously by Steve in Indiana and by Robb in California (Owner of PIS) and by Dimitri in Florida (the BMS designer), by telephone and by personal visits. I have had to replace 2 bms boards, 1 charger and on my last visit to AutoBeYours, Steve (to me, unquestionably THE most knowledgeable Prius expert), replaced the entire battery pack with the charger so that my trip would not be delayed. I was having a noise issue with the rear CAN board that shut off the PHEV system when I went over 50mph. Robb corrected that when my wife and I made a cross country trip to California (we are retired). I have since had a couple of batteries go short in the pack and replaced them. During the two years, I have had several gas tanks in PHEV mode of over 1200 miles and I almost never use more than a sip of gas around town... Example in point, since my last fill I am still showing 99.9mpg and 253 miles with 9/10 still showing on the gas gauge. At the moment, I am using 75 good cells and 1 dead shorted one and am getting 20 miles consistently in PHEV mode. I find that it is necessary to warm the engine for about a mile before using PHEV, otherwise, you will get a "check engine" light. I have an OBDCON unit to cancel this kind of error. One of the problems that I have found is that here in the "Near Tropics" in Fort Myers, FL. in an un-garaged situation such as mine, heat is a serious problem and the 10kw pack doesn't like it. I am going to be upgrading my 76 battery "old" pack to the 4 unit pack similar to the current 10kw pack but using my existing batteries. My pack consists of 76 GBS-LFMP40Ah cells. I am, and have since November of last year, used the bypass jumpers on the rear CAN board because the ELCON charger has an automatic cut off when it battery pack approaches full charge. This is NOT recommended so don't do it if you expect a "Plug an Play" system.
    Bottom line. Am I satisfied? Pretty much yes... I feel like the early model T owners must have. Some fiddling around to keep mine running properly is a fact of life with any fledgeling technology. I know what is required to get proper mileage and driving around with one shorted cell isn't it. I'm having fun with my PHEV Prius and feel all the richer for having met Steve, Robb, and Dimitri. Thank you all and with co-operation from customers, this cutting edge technology (with co-operation from China also) will ultimately be a reliable automotive advance.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a PIS plant to me. He's had the kit for how long and now he suddenly shows up here (Saturday) to tell us all these good thing???????? And for some unknown reason... he posts in bold??????

I'm not buying it.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    dito

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems to me that he is simply telling his experience. Didn't come across to me as an overly positive or negative report.

The takeaway I got from his report, is that with the PIS PHEV system, as with many other PHEV systems, it will not be 100% up time. Components have been replaced multiple times. This may not be much of a concern during the warranty period, but after warranty is up, the buyer needs to be ready to make a commitment to purchasing replacement components at cost.

8. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks ericbecky. You are absolutely correct, things are what they are. There are naysayers all over the place and I usually ended up firing them. I can't stand negativism particularly when stated out of self proclaimed ignorance and I quote... "He's had the kit for how long and now he suddenly shows up here (Saturday) to tell us all these good thing????????......" I post in bold because that's what I always do. So, a little history... I purchased a re-engineered 2006 from AutoBeYours.com in March 2011. I bought the PIS unit from Steve at autobeyours.com fully installed (not a kit usnavystgc), and it cost me considerably less than purchasing any other vehicle with PHEV capability. I sent copies to Robb of PIS, to Steve of autobeyours.com and to Dimitry of CleanPowerAuto.com out of courtesy because I mentioned them in my previous post. If you wish to find out more, my email address is on qrz.com. Just put in my amateur radio callsign and find out for yourselves.
    My Florida license plate is PHEV-200.... PHEV because that's what it is and 200 because it was the 200th rebuild by Steve at AutoBeYours. I'm not anybody's plant!
    sincerely
    wa4eqw

SteveWlf and lopezjm2001 like this.
  9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Plant for sure.

10. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Nice. Great way to welcome a new PCer.

I, for one, tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I also thought wa4eqw's "review" was rather neutral at best. I know some people have had bad experiences with PIS, and I don't doubt them, but I also recognize that there are probably also some happy customers out there. Not everyone with a Prius (even a PHEV conversion) is on PC....

11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You state and make several generalize topics, issues, concerns, and comments. Thereof brings into questions (at least 4me) and quarry of concern. Lets unravel some of this if that is do able.
    Questions
    Which specific BMS boards where replaced?
    Where the shorted cell and BMS board related?
    What took down the charger?
    What is OBDCON?

Welcome to Pchat 5 poster.

usnavystgc likes this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think many times customers like this have so many things replaced it all kind of melds together.

The reality is, this kit (like all of them) is not perfect, and anyone buying it should be aware of that. I think what wa4eqw outlined.

USnavystgc, I'm not sure why someone needs to be labeled at all? Sounds to me like it's a person sharing his experience. Or are you trying to say it is actually a company employee posing as a customer? Perhaps I am naive, but I don't get it.

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Plant = company employee (or friend/family member etc) posing as a customer.

The reason this needs to at least be considered is the deception involved if it is/were true. There are many things that seem to be too convenient and coincidental. I don't know anyone that posts everything in bold???? Why would you do that????? I can think of a good reason (to draw attention to your post). And.... this person was very offended by me pointing these things out. Saying things like "I fire people like that" (is that supposed to impress me/us? Or is supposed to make me mad and provoke me to say something irrational to make me look stupid? I will not fall for that one.). BTW, What is "self proclaimed ignorance"? Is that where I openly state I'm ignorant (which I didn't but he/she claimed I "self proclaimed")?

Some seem offended that I pointed out these coincidences and.... that's fine. If I offended you well, then, I'm sorry for that. If I'm wrong, so be it, great!!!! However, noone seems offended by the statements he/she made about me. Calling one ignorant and saying things like "I fire people like that" are offensive. I'm certain those statements are designed to make me look stupid, discount what I said and quietly sweep me under the rug.

What seems to be automatically ruled out here is that I may be right. If I am right and I noticed these coincidences and didn't say anything, then, Shame On Me!!!!

I've seen numerous people point out trolls on here and they are applauded for it (and they should be). If my theory of a plant turns out to be true, I'm certain I will receive no recognition (or even any acknowledgement of being right) but, I will be able to sleep and sleep well knowing I did my best to protect my PC shipmates!!!.

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah. o.k. Now I get the "plant" thing. Thanks for clearing it up.

16. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the welcome...
    Which specific BMS boards where replaced?
    Where the shorted cell and BMS board related?
    What took down the charger?
    What is OBDCON?

1. Mini BMS boards.. one on cell #1 and one on cell#73.
    2. I don't think so... both in different places.
    3. I was told that several of the earlier chargers failed... It was replaced under warranty.
    4. Sorry my mistake it's OBDCOM.... It's a usb interface for OBD2 vehicles... I bought it on line after I had the 70mph modification done and the "check engine" alarm light came on (and still does) from time to time. The alarm is due to "Low fluid coolant temperature" due to the car being used in EV or semi EV mode (PHEV) before the engine is properly warmed up. OBDCOM just saves me from being charged by Toyota to plug in their alarm cancelling device and doing it for me.

SteveWlf and lopezjm2001 like this.
  17. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shooting first and asking questions later is hardly "protection" ! I was attacked by you totally without cause or reason. I have absolutely no financial relationship with PIV, AutoBeYours or CleanPowerAuto. As a retired electronics engineer, I do most of my own repair work on my 10KW supply but in close consultation with all three companies. I have also personally met all three of these gentlemen and have been impressed with their knowledge and abilities. I will be dismantling my 2011 PIS 10kw supply this year and re-assembling it into the more manageable 4 unit boxes.... and I pay for the components and services I receive.
    wa4eqw

18. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay the cell top mini bms. How many where replaced?
    The shorted cells what did the voltage measure out to? How did you realize these where the ones shorted?

19. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is just a general website link and not sure that is a email address . All Pchat members have pm that works and can also share an email.My email address is jerom902 at hotmail.com aka [email protected]

20. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of pchat members are aware of steve aka imwoody in the threads.Plus helps out alot of Prius owners including me.
    Which battery pack? 76 lifepo4 cells or 28 nimh oem pack?