1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Supply DIY

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by PriusDIY, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wa4eqw was saying if you go to that website and put his call sign in the search bar, a profile comes up that includes his email address.

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  2. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    76 lifepo4

3. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks.. [email protected]

4. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Test meter... zero volts. I have 1/8" holes drilled over each cell and check them fairly often. I also check the end to end resistance on the signal lead of each 19 cell bank to check the integrity of the mini BMS boards. The holes are drilled so that I don't get across the pack or drop anything on it while testing.

6. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes... I recognized posts from both Steve and Robb.

7. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! it has been a long read! #346 post in this thread, took me a couple days and think I might have responed in one or two different thread or referenced posts.
    Why? Because I'm going to do Plug in conversion on possibly three Gen2s for family and friend(s). I have talked about this with both Robb and Paul, as well as on here. There are some total detractors on plug in conversion on this forum and on this thread. I have an open mind but it is a discriminating mind. I consider all input and make my choices based on my feeling about the source of my information and possibly those who counter it (not attack it).
    This thread started out very constructive and in formative. Towards the end, there has been some conflict and disagreement but between those post there was sell some useful information which I not only filed away but printed out for my evening study sessions.
    Back to my conversations with Robb, I communicating my interest back in early Nov (I think). I soon learned that Robb has a low level of tolerance for "dumb-newbie" questions. I think he once said "I'm not here to spend my time teaching you! All that info is on the website." or word to that effect.
    So, I cooled my feeling for several month and talked to Paul in Boulder about a similar DIY arrangement. However, Boulder Hybrid dosen't seem to cater to the DIY and has no installation instructions. (thanks Paul).
    Another month has passed and I have done some reflections on my interest in the PIS conversion. This included this and a few other threads that pop up when I search PIS. I also consider my interaction with Robb and that seems to be his normal mode. I can live with that, not looking for a buddy, just a good system and support. As a retired USN Officer, and retired Mfg. Eng. I have had a life of dealing with people who are not "people persons" some hold the keys to a sucessful endevor and I will deal with the afor mentioned problems.

I talked to Robb last monday about my renewed interest in the 10kwh DIY kit and as usual he was busy going someplace and ask me to email him what I wanted. Now, it's been three days and I haven't had a reply back yet. However, from what I have read in this thread, "that is Robb!" and I shouldn't expect much more. After all he doesn't have any of my money yet!
    Hmmm! Maybe it is because I sent him a follow up question about charge plug-in recepticals that would be compatable with the Public Charging system? Might have been one Dumb Question TOO many. Oh well!

Steve

wa4eqw likes this.
  8. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are repetitive questions SteveWlf but the only dumb non repetitive question is the one that's not asked. Our past histories are somewhat parallel although I didn't quite make the "Wardroom". Thanks for your post. I also called Robb on Monday and found out that my components will be shipped this weekend when he gets back home. I intend to keep my PIS modification information current here before I take my 2006 Prius GenII on another cross country trip. I will be driving to BC Canada via Richmond VA and Scottsburg IN in July and August. Your concern about public charging stations is perfectly legitimate although I think they will be designed to accommodate us and not vice-versa. One thing that I have found over the last two years is that more and more motels are putting in 110vac outlets in convenient places (Super 8 as a case in point and one Holiday Inn in central Florida had one complete parking row with them installed). Many others are following suit. I would really like to get a list of addresses of competent EV and PHEV repair stations across the country. EV/PHEV is not going away. It is now well established but we need to create a national infrastructure to accommodate this form of transportation.
    wa4eqw

9. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I didn't start my 23 yrs in the Wardroom, came up from the ranks and even then I spent my time doing my job and seldom went the the Wardroom except for meals, or if I could rangle a invite to the general mess or the CPO mess I would go there. Coffee was always better in the engine room or one of the shops.

I kinda figured Robb was traveling since he complained he couldn't talk to much because of 'plane noise' that I could hear in the back ground.

I will follow up, in another post, about what I found out about the public charging stations. Not so sure it was really a 'dumb question'. Especially if we have a way to charge while stopped in public areas along the way. There are Level 1 and Level 2 and Level 3 station every 75 miles along the Green Highway, from Mex. to CA bourder. Some are in popular areas for rest or lunch.

Steve

10. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Steve,

You would need to make/buy some sort of adaptor box between your normal 110Vac two pin plug and the type of plug J1772 used at these charging stations. The following shortcuts goes into more detail.

EVTV.ME: J1772-2009 Charging for Your EV

J1772 Vehicle connector - DIY Electric Car Forums

SteveWlf likes this.
  11. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the links to some additional and useful information on the J1772 info.
    Originally considered just an adaptor box to go from the public charging station to the 120/240vac connetor in the standard PIS installation. However, after looking at the EVTV video and some earlier research, I want to build and install a J1772 EV charging station at my home and start with the compatable connector in my car. Since other family members are/will be visiting/or I visit them with Plug in cars, I want to conform to the standards. And as I mentioned in my previous post, my reason for posing that question to Robb at PIS.
    Now I think I have the information to go forward with this portion of my project without regard to what PIS DIY kit might include.

I'll start another Topic Post as I proceed. First priority, for now is to get a response for PIS and also my battery supplier. (What is it with these guys??)

Steve (sitting on the edge of my seat!)

wa4eqw and lensovet like this.
  12. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

13. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Florida PHEV-200 gassed up on 2/15/2013.. currently 359.5 miles at 99.9+ 2011 Plug In Supply 10kw pack. Right now, 1 dead cell and one that may be on it's way .. reading high charge early. Still getting 20 miles on PHEV though. Oh and btw Steve, I plug it into a standard 3 pin 110v 15a outlet on the outside of my house.
    Pat.

14. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pat. The 120 v 15a must take you all night even for a partially discharged battery pack. And that might not be an issue while at home or spending the night at a motel while travelling. Not saying this is wrong, just limiting.
    That charging time could be reduce by several hours with 20a 120v or cut by half or more by 30a 240v. Not sure of the size or type of charger you have or how the smallest listed/recommended on the PIS site is 1500 watt and should be using a 20a source of power to charge at full potential. The chargers that are dual voltage can achieve 2500 watt at 240v 30a. (not an EE her, but, someone jump in if I'm wrong here.)
    Now to my reasoning in the desire to utilize the public charging stations. I see the number of these increasing each time I travel outside my comfort zone (EV range). I hear from my son (Leaf driver) that there are over 60 stations within a couple miles of his work in San Jose CA. The Charge Point network has a charge station every 75 miles or closer along the I-5 corridor. So home charging might be the pimary source but I would want to be prepared to charge at the public or commercially owned stations, which are J1772 standard. Best way to achieve this ability is to have the J1772 receptical intalled or a dongle/adaptor.
    I have a slight problem with the dongle/adaptor that are being sold or could be built. If you are charging at a public station, it is just hanging there exposed to the weather and could be stolen or vandelized. These adaptors may limit the total amps that can be delivered. This dependent on the design and wire/component capacity. Not to mention the need to carry it around.
    I plan to standardize my car and home installation to the J1772 on both ends and just carry an extention 20a cord in case I need to charge at a domestic outlet at someones home or an RV park or camp ground. If I don't want to build an adaptor, I could just plug the charger directly into this cord or have a second receptical on the bumper.

My opinion FWIW

Steve

15. SynEco@eVehicle.co.nz

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YES !! :)

Spydar, usnavystgc and lopezjm2001 like this.
  16. Spydar

Spydar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best batteries and supply is by far CALIB power in pomona California, they are in stock and ship very fast
    Keagan Han is fast and helpful
    Watch more EVTV on batteries JACK knows what he is talking about, and will help you avoid damaging your batteries
    I just finished converting MY 2008 Lexus RX 400H using PIS system Rob always answered my questions althought he is slow patience is your friend with PIS.

17. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I talked to Keagan Han and in an email from Robb, he indicated that he had also talke to Keagan the sameday confirming that the CALB CE40ah (not the older SE40ah) are US available in the quanties I need for my 10kwh pack. Only got a price qoute from Keagan and that was $51.21 plus delivery cost. Robb did offer to order them from CALIB but didn't give me a price.
    One Electric Car Parts Co. electric car parts company .com Lithium Car EV Pouch Cell Battery Conversion Kit Company , advertises the CE40ah for $51 each for the need 76 cells. However, in my last email with Carl Clark, he needs 4 to 6 weeks out of China. However, he was just leaving for china to visit his suppliers and will be back next week with an update on price and availability. (this vendor is old well established and willing to communicate with customers. I'll likely order my Elcon battery charger from Carl if it is US stocked.)
    Just curious about the prices others have been ultimately paying for their CE or SE40ah CALB batteries and the shipping time /experience. PIS has been advertising $50 each but since their ad must be 6 mo/yr old I suspect that is for the SE since the specs on the CE and test results have only come in recently.
    A month wait, if I can count on it, I could live with if I can save a couple more bucks per cell. However, from what I hear, I should just order from the guy that has them in US stock and takes Visa. (theoretically, their not suppose to charge you card until they are ready to ship. Yah! Right!)
    I'm more concerned with the electric/elex stuff from PIS. I'll ask for a realistic delivery timeline, then watch the charges on my Visa. (this will only work if items are coming from his inventory) Off Shore order for drop ship, I'd expect he would charge them when he places the order, to "cover his nut".

We will see!

Steve

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  18. wa4eqw

wa4eqw Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update, Florida PHEV-200 currently is at 437 miles at 99.9 mpg. Thanks for your comments SteveWlf. I will not be changing my charger or system. Any 110v 15A 3pin standard USA socket works and electric down here in Florida at least is still cheaper than gasoline. Also, I normally do not switch into PHEV except around town. Just finished my usual Thursday MOW 18 mile round trip delivery just sipping gas. Odor of MEK indicates another cell is about to quit.
    Pat.

19. boone

boone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We ordered our 10kwh DIY kit in Feb, which was delivered in reasonably timely fashion, including batteries from CALB. As advertised, Robb is curt, but he answered our questions & delivered his product. Now, my nephew/installer has the batt bank built, but we're waiting to install because Elcon, from whom we ordered the charger, says they handed it off to UPS, but UPS has no scan record of it except the original 'ready to pick up' notice. While they argue, we're SOL, but nothing to do with Robb, who delivered his goods.

SteveWlf likes this.
  20. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that is encouraging regarding your dealings with PIS but sorry to hear about the charger.
    I've been sitting here waiting for Robb to email me a an invoice with the final pricing on the DIY kit, less the batteries and battery boxes portion. I've had the money to go foward with this since the first of the month but delaying the batteries until next month. Also as stated previously, I wanted to ensure a US stocking source for the Calb CE40ah batteries. Both Robb and I have confirmed that CALIB has them in US stock and the price is close to what I was expecting to pay. I hope to hear for Robb today or by monday.

Still siting on the Edge of my Seat!
    Steve