1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Wheels - Use regular valve stems instead of TPMS?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 13Plug, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm buying a set of stock PHV Prius wheels off a member here. He's keeping the tires and TPMS sensors and shipping me the wheels only.

I'm wondering does anyone know if it's possible to put regular valve stems in the wheels or are they somehow designed to only accept TPMS sensors? I'm using the wheels for winter time (dedicated snow tires)

On my old '08 Prius I just used Corolla steel wheels so they took regular valve stems. I don't need the TPMS so I'm hoping I can avoid buying another set of sensors.

I guess as a second part to this... if I do need to use the Toyota TPMS sensors, what years of sensors fit the wheels and what is the cheapest place to buy them (OEM)?

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The PiP wheels (or any wheels for that matter) will accept either regular valve stems or TPMS (there are very rare cases where this is not true, but not in your case). When people get new wheels, they generally swap over the TPMS and if they keep the stock wheels they put regular valve stems in them. If you look at a TPMS, it's not the stem that's different, it's what's behind the stem. In the case of the TPMS, it has a little black box attached to it.

If you do get TPMS, you can get generic ones that are programmed for your car. However, I think you still may need to visit the dealer to get the new TPMS programmed into the car (at least this is my experience with my wife's Sienna). You can get generic TPMS for like $25 each, but a trip to the dealer is about $50-60, YMMV. I've heard/wad of dealers doing it for free.

3. alshubcaps.com

alshubcaps.com New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes the wheels can use regular rubber valves but that eliminates the safety of tpms & also eliminates the preventive nature
    of knowing if your tire is losing air as you drive until it is too late.

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:TPMS (sensors) became mandatory on USA manufactured and imported vehicles in model year 2007. My first car with the TPMS sensors was my former 2011 Lexus IS. I normally go with aftermarket wheels, so adding a second set of sensor is a added expense and a hassle. One night coming home from work, I ran over something on the interstate. Initially, I thought everything was OK. After about a mile, the TPMS warning light came on. Only after the warning light did I slow down and look for a place to pull off the road. I have a set of 17" Prius Persona wheels on my Prius. When I got them mounted, I had the local tire dealer mount and install the sensors. When they went to code them to the car, they had an issue. Supposedly, they had a 2013 option, but coding to a 2012 Prius was a problem. Anyone have a similar experience? In retrospect, from now on, I'll probably pass on TPMS sensors for any aftermarket wheels. I normally wipe down my wheels and apply tire shine several times a weeks to my cars, so I'm aware of a low tire. That's me, but TPMS sensors are a great safety feature.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many people that live in the frozen north buy Corolla rims to mount snow tires on.
    It's simply more convenient than tire swaps or chains.

There is a write-up somewhere in this forum where somebody removed the TPMS sensors from their wheels and put them in this PVC gadget to hold them at pressure and keep the little amber light from illuminating during the winter months when the snows are on the car, but this is a poor solution since you have to remove the tires to remove the sensors, and the result would be having the sensors on neither set.
    Me?
    I would have used a small piece of electrical tape, but I have to roll on and off military bases often enough to want to avoid funny looking PVC devices in my car. :eek:

The TPMS is a decent feature, but tires and fuel are expensive enough these days to warrant a little personal responsibility where periodic maintenance checks are concerned.

SO....
    The answer is Yes, and Probably - although I'd be careful about buying the new sensors before you find out how to get your car to communicate with both sets.