1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug N Play Auto Headlights for the Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by WD0AFQ, Jun 6, 2013.

1. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is a simple set of instructions for those who want automatic headlights on the C. Mine is a model 2 so that is what this is written for. Took me a while but I have mine working. Anyone can do this in an hour or less.

DEI 545T Nite-Lite This can be bought for 30 bux. Less on Amazon.

Unit has to be prepped to be specific for the C. I started by removing one of the 2 relays. I kept the one with large green and purple wires.
    Second, I opened the module and cut the red wire. I did not want it to run my daytime running lights. I use the stalk for this feature.
    Next, I removed the wires I did not need on the largest plug. I kept only the Red, Black, and Yellow.If you want automatic wipers, keep the green.
    The light sensor needs to be stuck on the dash and run the wire down to behind the panel on left lower. This is where you will mount everything.
    You will need to remove that panel and the lower one from the steering colum, 3 screws and a few push in connections along the edge. One screw is under the panel, below the steering wheel. The other two are on left and right side, behind wheel. You will need to rotate the wheel to get to them.
    Wiring:
    This is how I wired mine: I connected red and yellow together and hooked them behind the cigarette lighter, after removing the glove box. You will have 12 volts here with ignition on. You may want to tap a wire under the steering wheel.
    I grounded the black wire, from module harness and the violet wire, from relay, to a bolt head behind the panel, in the dash.
    The green wire from the relay has to be hooked to the headlight wire on the big connector under the steering wheel, on the left side. This unit throws a ground to this connection and turns on the headlights. Connector is L-47 pin 11. This is a light blue wire on the bottom row on the left edge. I would call it number one wire, on bottom, from the left. There are no wires on the top row of this connector. Will post a picture of this connector.
    This will give you automatic headlights on the Prius C-2.

The sensor loses light, turns on the module, which throws the relay, and ground hits the wire on L-47 pin 11. I plan to cut one of the two sensor wires, install a switch, so I can turn this thing off. I may want to sit in the dark with the ignition on sometime and can do that with the sensor shut off.
    Let me know if you need any more assistance. This is easy. I just had to figure out how the headlights worked and which wire went to ground when light switch was turned on.
    Dan 100_1418 (Medium).JPG

tk1971 likes this.
  2. BigWIll

BigWIll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was following your ordeal in the other thread before you completed this project, and congrats on finally getting the job done. Two questions for you:

1) Where did you mount the sensor?
    2) Do the high beams work normally when the headlights are turned on by the DEI sensor?

Edit: Also, doesn't the DEI include a toggle switch to override its operation?

3. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The switch can be used to put in the sensor line but it is designed to plug in and override the driving lights, which I am not using.
    The sensor will be mounted on the dash. Mine is at end of the pillar where the dash comes to butt. I can get a picture if you need it.
    Yes, the high/low beams work normal.
    Dan

4. BigWIll

BigWIll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification. I think the install guide I found online must be for an older version of the 545T since it said the plug-in toggle switch disabled the photocell. Also good to know about the high beams since they apparently don't work on some other cars with the 545T unless the vehicle's headlight switch is manually moved.

5. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there apparently is a difference in the newer units. This one you have to open it up, 4 screws, and cut the big red wire unless you want it to control your running lights. I keep mine on but I did cut the wire. From reading an earlier thread I find that the colors of wires are different on the relays. The provided switch, made to plug into unit, I plan to use to splice into the photo cell so I can shut the unit off. This is a simple install once you know where to connect the wires. In the photo, above, I left the needle sticking in the hole where the ground from relay hooks to that wire. Used the needle as a probe for my volt meter.
    I am sorry this has dragged out so long. Only this week did I get my light sensor back. Should I order another unit it may be from Amazon, where I see them for 19.95 and up, plus shipping. This feature is just something I got used to on previous vehicles and did not like having to turn on my lights with the switch. Not a big deal to most folks, I am sure.
    Headed out to tidy things up now.
    Dan

6. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    100_1421 (Medium).JPG

BigWIll likes this.
  7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  8. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    66. Its my daily driver. Painted to match our GMC coach. We tow it a lot.
    Dan

ztanos likes this.
  9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 73 standard beetle that I'm in the process of restoring... currently, I'm failing miserably...

10. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Notice in the dash picture where I mounted the light sensor. I found out that if you gently push the base of the post cover in, you can slip the sensor wire down in the crack out of site. Looks like a factory set up now.
    Dan

11. BigWIll

BigWIll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification because I was wondering whether the wire was hidden in a seam or under the dash mat.

12. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, when I took the photo I did not have it hidden yet so I thought I needed to mention it. It will be hidden all the way. Goes behind the rubber gasket in the door down to the bottom of dash.
    The unit is quick to turn on the lights. Id say 3 seconds after key is turned on the relay throws the ground to the pin. Of course, it goes off immediatly when the key is turned off.
    Dan

13. BigWIll

BigWIll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing that baffles me is why Toyota doesn't put automatic headlights on all hybrids. Considering this aftermarket kit costs $20-25, Toyota should be able to add this feature for not much more than the cost of the wired sensor. IMHO it's a safety issue because the traditional indicator of whether your parking/headlights are on is the dash being lit up, and on a hybrid the dash is lit up all the time. I know there's a headlamp indicator on the dash, but it's not necessarily that noticeable unless you're looking for it. The first time I drove a friend's hybrid at night in a well-lit urban area, I drove for miles with the headlights off.

C4me likes this.
  14. C4me

C4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just ordered mine. Cant wait! Ill have the guys near me do the install. Will show them this thread. I know they must think im nuts being a girl and doing all these things to my little puiusC but ...meh.. :) so far ive had them install the shark fin antena, rear backup camera, leather clazzo seat covers, ceramic window tint, rear seat entertainment head rests, and now will be headlight auto control and front lights with fogs like Ryephile didl and i hope some sort of interior lighting upgrade if we can find a good assembly. I am missing my Bmw less and less! I might even spring for wheels even if i take a mpg hit.....or do some sort of paint or wrap to the plastic hub caps. Hey why doesnt some toy manufacturer make us a cute decal like they do for toys that looks like fancy wheels?? Hehehe

15. C4me

C4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Totally! Its a huge safety issue. Same with rain sensing wipers. Dan is there a controler for the wipers?? Toyota wants to save these things so we will keep buying the upgrated newer models in the future Im sure

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Safety issue?? :confused:

mertechperformance likes this.
  17. C4me

C4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is important to keep the windshield clearity and visibility up whiledriving at all times in the even of precipitation... :)

18. C4me

C4me Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Or mud debris splatter etc....

19. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    and that's why they have windshield wipers and headlights. ;)

mertechperformance likes this.
  20. BigWIll

BigWIll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The safety issue is driving around at night with the headlights off, which is very easy to do in a hybrid - or any car that has its dash lit at all times. Even if it's not a safety issue, it is an excuse for the police to pull you over.

Regarding the wipers, I used to think intermittent wipers were good enough and thought automatic and/or speed sensitive wipers were overkill until I tried them. On my current car without automatic wipers, I constantly fiddle with the intermittent adjustment because the wiper speed is never just right.