1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plugged in over several charging cycles

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by MNdriver, Nov 22, 2017.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just got back from a 5 day work related trip to Paris. I left my Prime plugged in and didn’t adjust the charging schedule, which Is set to charge every night.

I thought it would go through a normal charge the first night, then charge every subsequent night for a couple of minutes to make up what the battery lost just sitting in the garage. It didn’t, though - it only charged Saturday night.

I got back today. When I started it up it showed a predicted range of 29 miles. During the past couple weeks, my predicted range had been around 34 miles, so I’m assuming it lost about 5 miles sitting around since Saturday.

Question - will another cycle not start up if you haven’t unplugged the car since the previous charge? Or did the successive charging cycles not kick in because the battery was so close to fully charged?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd be surprised if the battery would accept more charge. lithium doesn't drop very fast. i wouldn't trust the guess-o-meter to tell me anything important.

how is paris in november?

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gray and rainy. But a lot warmer than Minnesota.

bisco likes this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It won't. There have been times where I drive to the grocery store 0.6 miles away and nothing happens when I plug in. The system doesn't try to squeeze every last electron in.

bwilson4web likes this.