1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

plugin kit on ebay?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Oct 12, 2007.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    15 lead acid batteries. Regulator NOT included.

Why include the batteries? Why not just sell the other stuff and allow local battery purchase? Would sure save on shipping and up front cost.

The batteries are from Corona, California. So for a California purchaser, you've paid for the batteries to be shipped to Florida, then you're paying from them to shipping back to California.

Almost looks like you can track down and buy the parts yourself and have a tray made to hold the batteries.

4. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yea the batteries are a killer, i have a charger, but its not "smart" just no extra battery

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Oct 12 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]524968[/snapback]</div>
    It is the most economic finished and working product for a PHEV conversion, not a bargain, not for everyone.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's about $2100 for the batteries ($140 each):
    http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/ody...-batteries.html

I'd sure rather have Li-ion if I were going to spend that much money.
    What's the regulator do? Why wouldn't they include it...is it not necessary?

But I agree that if you could get the critical electronics, which should be possible, you might be able to get the parts ala carte a bit more cheaply. Getting the 'kit' would save a lot of leg-work though.

7. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I get the impression this extra pack is only charged via an AC outlet. Meaning the extra pack would not be recharged via the Prius system??? I don't see anything that taps into the Prius communications bus to modify the charging routing. I don't see anything in the ad that states this.
    ------
    Why not use a sealed lead acid 35aH deep cycle "golf cart/wheel chair" (SLA or AGM) batteries which are 1/2 the cost? You don't need cranking amp since you aren't turning a starter, etc. like in a normal car... only need a deep cycle design battery. These batteries are also rated for vibration, etc.
    -------
    Perhaps if they sold this as a kit that interfaced/charged a Prius standard NiHM pack then they might have something. For example adding in a salvaged pack to supplement the existing.

Brian

8. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 12 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]524982[/snapback]</div>
    If I were to do this, I would drive to Kingston, WA and let Manzanita Micro do the install. Then there would be no shipping, you would haul the kit home yourself in working condition.

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 13 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]525120[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious: where would you buy a reliable Li-Ion pack large enough to move a Prius for $2100? Or for twice that?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jk450 @ Oct 21 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]528650[/snapback]</div>
    I meant that for the total cost of what the folks on Ebay are charging I'd want Li Ion.
    But for just over twice the $2100 the Hymotion Li Pack that'll take you ~10 miles runs around $5000.

11. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is there any benefits in paralelling two prius batteries? would my miles per gallon increase in normal driving.

i can get my hands on a used 04-07 prius battery cheaper than those lead acid and lithium ion, i have a charger, i just wonder the benefits so far.