1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plugless Power launches wireless EV charging trial

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by CHARGED EVs Mag, Dec 5, 2011.

1. CHARGED EVs Mag

CHARGED EVs Mag New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wireless wave continues to gain amplitude. Virginia-based Evatran announced today that it has agreed with six commercial EV users to equip their fleets of Volts and Leafs with pre-production Plugless Power wireless charging systems. The project, grandiosely named the Apollo Launch Program, will begin in February 2012. Evatran installed a prototype of the system at Google's Mountain View campus in early 2011.

Participants in the new trial, which include car rental agencies, corporate campuses and utility providers, will provide feedback on daily usage routines and user interfaces. Evatran will apply the lessons learned as it develops its aftermarket product line, which will launch in late 2012. The company already has a joint development agreement with Yazaki North America to market Plugless Power technology to automakers as a factory or dealership option.

“The Apollo Launch Program builds off Evatran’s early prototype trials and provides evidence of the strong demand for a convenient recharging option for electric vehicles,†said Tom Hough, co-founder and CEO of Plugless Power. “The commitment shown by these industry leaders truly establishes them as electric vehicle advocates who are dedicated to encouraging electric vehicle adoption across the country. We want to show the world that the repetitive plug-in, unplug process doesn’t have to be part of EV ownership; we want to tell the market that a better option is on the way.â€

ChargedEVs.com

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the efficiency and max power compared to plug?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Or - put another way - how horrible is the loss.

NOT. But wanting to end on a positivde note - at least it doesn't waste as much energy as hydrogen.
    :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there's been talks about a wireless charging system for a while... a good 4 to 6 years while.

from what i've seen it comes down to a dynamo (top like spinning thing with magnets) in the ground and a kit that has to be installed into the car that spins at the rate the in ground one does. my assumptions say this is what toyota is planning to use on their new space age banner car (the one that changes colors that was recently showed off)

i would think a 220 line would be a lot more efficient and cost effective. this way the car or charger regulates since it gets direct feedback from the car as to what's going on... or the car itself controls the charge. with a wireless system (to me) seems like it's waiting for an overcharge of loss of communication between the car and charger... catastrophic error?

sometimes spicing something up is just adding cost that probably really shouldn't be there. these cars are designed with plugs.. with basically no room for additions underneath. if you were to add on this system.. you pay how much? from factory, they already have a plug... why take up more space to install this? (space that cars like the volt can't afford)

5. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It's not that hard to imagine.

I use an Electric Toothbrush that's Plastic and sits on its plastic base stub that recharges it. No metal contacts.

Since I'll be charging my PIP at home and at the office with an extension cord Outside, wireless would be great for me.

6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the amount of energy involved, I wouldn't compare it to a toothbrush charger.
    If losses add up to a mere (and good!) 5%, everytime a Plug-in-Prius fully charges 160Wh were given away. 200 days per yr, 32kWh - that's about 4W all year around.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how's this working out?

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Give them time, it's only been eight years.