1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PlugShare Forum

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iRun26.2, Dec 7, 2011.

1. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a forum where people talk about the PlugShare app? It kooks like it might be useful for me when my PiP arrives.

I don't understand several things about the places that are listed (such as who can use the charging stations and how much they cost). I can't find anyplace in the app where users can ask questions or see comments of other users (or must I use Facebook or Twitter?)

2. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't anyone here use PlugShare?

Are all of the charging locations free?

3. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't use it, but I believe the general idea is the cost is you making your plug available for others to charge on (plug-share).

4. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That would mean that I couldn't use PlugShare because my 'plug' will be in my garage (and unavailable to be shared).

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I know this is selfish, but I don't think I'd join something like that. I'd always be delighted to let a friend charge at my house, including on-line friends. But a stranger, not so much. There'd be too many complications around scheduling and access to the plug.

6. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. What if someone charged at your place, leaving their car to grab a bite to eat while it charged? Would you be willing to wait until they returned to plug in your car? I don't understand how this type of system could work.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you only use your charger at night, you can make it available during the day. But I agree that it won't make sense for a lot of people. We don't have much excess parking available in my neighborhood.

8. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think its a nice idea, just too many potential problems. I thought about installing the 240 EVSE outside rather than just inside my garage. If it were outside I'd have no problem with someone pulling up in my driveway and charging for a couple of hours while I'm at work.

There's not much infrastructure out there in this area yet, most of it is going to be in the hands of private owners who installed at home for their own use, but are inactive all day long (for the most part).

However, the more I thought about it the idea of having a stranger at my house for a couple of hours when no one is there started to freak me out.

That said if any of you are in the Dover DE area and want a quick juice up of your EV send me a PM and I'd be glad to lend a plug.

9. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I imagine that my house is safer because of my neighbors who might spot unusual activity at my house and tip off the police of a possible robbery. I think if I had an outside plug and had numerous random people stopping by to charge their vehicles, my neighbors might grow accustomed to unusual activity. Would some potential robber scoping out my house still look as suspicious?

I'd have to install mine by the curb to feel comfortable having strangers plug in. [Yes, can call me a paranoid FUD creator if you want :) ]

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TY, I,ll keep that in mind when I get up to Spokane, probably you have a spare bedroom and I will let you know ahead of time so the fridge is full. A very generous offer. Who knows, we are probably related! Andy.

1 person likes this.
  11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't have an EVSE other than the Tesla mobile charger. I doubt that works with any other car. I have 120 v. 20 a.; 120 v. 30 a.; and 240 v. 50 a outlets in my garage. So any other kind of car would have to have the ability to plug into one of those circuits with their own cable/portable-EVSE, and I don't think any OEM charger cables will reach out to my driveway. I have two cars and a two-car garage, so for them to park in my garage I'd have to move one of my cars out. If I'm not home, they would not even have access.

Actually, I do have an outdoor 120 v outlet, so anybody who wanted to use that could do so. It takes a long time to get much range at 120 v 20 a, though.

Note that "internet friend" does not necessarily mean anyone registered as a member of a chat board that I happen to be a member of. It means someone I feel I know by dint of an extended history of conversations. :rolleyes:

13. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Man! That was incredibly funny!!!

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And let's not forget, we're talking about thrives in ultra-stealthy electric cars, who can sneak into your neighborhood undetected.

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course Daniel, that was a joke :D. I was thinking of the movie with Chevy Chase visiting a total stranger in Europe. Chevy didn't have a PIP tho! :cheer2:

16. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been listed on PlugShare for nearly a year, so far no one has called, or stopped by to use any power. I originally only had 120V 20A, I had some electrical work done and have a 50A 240VAC outlet now as well as a TT-30 (any of you campers know what that is), in fact I put a "camper" electrical box just outside my garage. I have a J-1772 L2 EVSE inside for my own vehicle. I don't think you have to worry about "hordes" of meandiring EV owners looking to use your outlet, it's mostly for emergency's, and mine has to be unlocked first (there is a 4 digit combo lock on the cover to the box). Don't worry about something that's not going to be a big deal.

PlugShare - Electric Vehicle Charging Network

Indoor J-1772:

[​IMG]

Outdoor Guest EV charging:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And a very nice looking installation it is!

18. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, nice job :cheer2:

19. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    But how much did it cost?

(I think I'd have a hard time justifying the cost. I can just barely afford the car! :). )

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Plugshare data base shows charge locations at both residential and commercial locations. It's great. If you DO want to share your home plug, but only at certain times (because you're not around all the time), you can add that to the notes. I've learned of great new charge locations thanks to plug share. If your smart phone is well equipped, you don't even need the app. You can just clik to their web site.