1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plumbing repair

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Sep 21, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    having lived in many locations with and without septic, the septic pumpers always warn against grinders (as they call them) but i've never seen or read any advice from municipal systems.
    maybe their equipment solves the problem?

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am sure the modern city sewage treatment can handle the pulverized solid materials as long as they are organic. My question is if no such organic bits get into the system from the kitchen disposers, would that make any difference to their operation? Less cost more efficiency, etc. Or does the organic matter from the kitchen sink represents such a small portion of the solid the system takes in, such that it makes no difference?

I know some municipalities recycle the sewage sludge into compost but I for one would not want to use it in my garden. No idea what went into the system. Our state banned the use of compost containing such sewage sludge due to the high contents of PFAS.
    Maine bans use of sewage sludge on farms to reduce risk of PFAS poisoning | Environment | The Guardian

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So far, just about everything I'm seeing about kitchen scraps through the disposers is about the accompanying FOG (fats, oils, grease) collecting and solidifying in the pipes and on the equipment, causing obstructions and overflows. Compared to that, it seems that the other kitchen waste in the wastewater treatment system is of minor concern.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some places do have higher sewage rates for homes with disposals, and most people without one would be throwing the scraps in the trash.