1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plus display vs Premium and Advanced

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Kimberly19, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How so on the tax credits? They’re still available until Toyota hits that 200,000 EV cars sold mark.
    The 2020’s release in July and my 2005 Prius hybrid battery is on life support so I’ll be buying this year. I want the 5th seat though, so I’m waiting on the 2020’s.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  2. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, that keyless sensor for the trunk is important to me. My 2005 Prius has it so I’ve gotten used to it over the last 14 years. That may push me to getting a premium, though I’m with you on cloth seats. Much prefer cloth.
    Too bad some of these aren’t a la carte options

jmarkd7 and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. johnchang7

johnchang7 Junior Member

I believe this is the last year for the federal. I think the later in the year the lower the credit amount.

5. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is that its not a time limit, but vehicle sold limit: U.S. Federal EV Tax Credit Update For January 2019

The relevant chart looks to be:
    [​IMG]
    Unless Toyota sells 100k Primes in the next 7 months, the tax credit should still apply in 2020.

Of course, "how long" it lasts is really up to Congress. They could repeal it tomorrow or extend it into perpetuity. If Democrats win both Congress and the Presidency in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed some sort of extension or expansion of the EV tax credit as part of a climate action plan.

Kimberly19 and bisco like this.
  6. johnchang7

johnchang7 Junior Member

That’s good to know that the full tax credit amount is still available.

7. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I feel like I want to but screen for the ad Doug would say "cool factor" by i could no see it as practical.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I looked at a Prime Premium today and that large screen was ❤️

drash likes this.
  9. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    SOLD !! ;)

Kimberly19 likes this.
  10. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Now to pull some money out of a fund I have, and look for the elusive 2019
    premium in blue magnetism with moonbeam interior, if there are deals OR drive a relative’s car a couple months and wait for the 2020’s.
    Dealer yesterday said after the 6/3 rebates expire , there will likely be others.
    Supposedly they’ll look for the color I want.
    $1500 was mentioned as trade in value for my ‘05 with faulty hybrid (ie close to not running at all).
    There’s other dealers but I’m not sure the car would make it much farther than the place 5 min away.
    Maybe I’ll pull the car fax report and all my service history and post it here for sale. Give me flexibility of heading farther up into NE for the car I want. ( I’m in RI.)
    All NE states except NH are CA emissions states with the extra warranty period on the hybrid system. Just have to buy and register in one, so no problem around here.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sending a pm.

12. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Kimberly, i dont know if you are experienced buying cars or not, but beware the salesmen at dealerships will slip every extra fee, warranty, upcharge, financing insurance, etc into the deal if you are not EXTREMELY careful. i am 45, very experienced and very good with numbers (aka maybe equal to the snakey salesmen, they or the sales manager are experts and screwing you out of money) and even i got annoyed and let some bs charges go unchallenged. i literally had to make them redo every paper they brought me, challenge every number on it, ask repeatedly for the actual financing numbers, and its all very difficult to follow, the paperwork is convoluted on purpose. somehow every number was in their favor !! they corrected begrudgingly, but never cancelled the deal, which tells me they were still happy and making money anyway...
    Be prepared, or take someone very experienced with you. bring a calculator and your phone with you to calculate everything from taxes to monthly financing amounts. they hide charges everywhere. dont be shy about challenging every number thats not part of the msrp.
    its all removable/negotiable. and i would skip all the extra warranties...

Kimberly19 likes this.
  13. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ive only ever bought one new car, and that’s my current Prius 14 years ago.
    The salesperson was 20 something and I knew more about the Prime and upcoming 2020 model than he did. He also didn’t listen when I said I’m not prepared to buy today. That’s me being upfront, not coy, but he still was pushing the car they had- very nice but not the color I want plus I had no money ready hence the ‘I’m not ready to buy today’.
    Brings me a sheet with a $2995 extended warranty on it. Seriously? On a Prius. Plus the extra paint coating for god knows what for another $995. I pointed those out and said I’m not interested in either one.
    Plus the MSRP they started with on the premium was about $1000 more than what Toyota has posted. Turns out it included the side trim pieces which I do want, and the full car mat package, which I may not necessarily get.
    Sales manager came over and was obviously more experienced. Realized I’m not a same day sale, but if he wants my business, he’d better leave me with a good impression.
    I’d deal with him, but I’m turned off the whole place now.
    My current Prius won’t even shift into drive anymore, the hybrid battery is so gone. That was a fast death. To even turn it in or sell it, it’d have to be towed in in current state.
    I’d do that, but it limits the distance I can go due to getting the car towed there.
    At least I wasn’t stranded somewhere far. I was a mile from home and got the car into the driveway.
    Thank you for the advice. Car salesmen suck.
    I’ll be looking at others In the area, see what they use as their MSRP starting point, and visit a couple.
    I’m not towing my car to a dealer then let them think they can low ball me because the car is there. I’ll tow it home before feeling taken advantage of. It’s not worth a lot but every $500 counts, and everything on the car is in very good shape. The timing of the hybrid battery going isn’t ideal, but it is what it is.

14. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might try calling the internet sales number of some dealers and try to deal that way. At the very least, you can get a feel of the honesty of the dealership without having to travel there first.

Also, I would highly recommend getting financing setup before even setting foot in a dealership. Try checking with your bank/credit union to see what terms they can offer you. It gives you an idea on the interest rate you can get so the dealership financing can't trick you into a higher rate.

Kimberly19 likes this.
  15. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This dealer said The manufacturers rebate of the $2500 cashnack for example, requires that you finance through them. Unless you’re all cash.
    I need to look this up.
    But they said do the dealer finance then do a refi through whomever I want to get both the rebate and better financing
    AAA has 3.04% right now that I qualify for. I went through them the first time.

16. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That doesn't sound like a Toyota requirement for the rebate, but a dealership one. Personally, I would check to see if another dealership would give you the $2500 with your own financing. If you do decide to go with them, check the financing fineprint for a prepayment penalty (i.e. an extra fee if you pay off your loan early).

Kimberly19 likes this.
  17. Kimberly19

Kimberly19 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly, I'm going to check other dealerships. The Premium Prime seems in short supply now after all those big $5k rebates in jan/feb. I may be waiting for the 2020's anyway and drive a relative's car in the meantime. I could never go back to a "regular" car. My Prius had me spoiled

bisco and drash like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^same^^^

19. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same here.

My first car was a typical gasser
    My second was a hybrid
    My third is a plug-in hybrid
    I'm already planning for my fourth to be an all-electric

Blauer Glimmer, Kimberly19 and bisco like this.
  20. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I would finance through them and then payoff the loan in the first payment. Maybe $50 in interest to do this.

jmarkd7 likes this.