1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plus Rear Sway Bar - impressions after install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mmcdonal, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So listen, I don't care what else you do with your Gen III, but get this sway bar. Actually, get any sway bar. The stocker doesn't come with one. I put Michelin Primacy MXV4's on recently, and the car got really squirrely, I guess with all the new grip - the stock tires don't have much of that.

I purchased the Plus rear sway bar from Russell Toyota in Catonsville(?) MD, for about $300 over the counter. I also purchased a Torin 2-ton floor jack and two 2-ton jack stands for about $60 at the local car parts store. I needed one of those anyway.

It took me about 1 hour and 20 minutes to install it myself. I only needed some zip ties to hold the bar up during installation, which I think has been recommended on here.

I took the car out for a drive on the twistiest roads we have around here, not to prove anything, but just to check for new squeaks etc (not that I have any to start with.) I have a whole new car. Plain and simple. The back end doesn't roll out on slow turns into traffic, the ride was flat and smooth, and by the time I finished the ride, I was pushing it around some hairy turns (check out Old Columbia Pike and New Cut Road in Ellicott City MD on Google Maps.) Not that I drive that way at all, it was just that I could.

If you heard any smacking sounds about 5pm, that was me smacking my forehead. I am at a total loss as to why Toyota doesn't ship this car with a rear sway bar. I guess they want to force us to drive slow.

Get this thing!

2. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the feedback. I knew there are aftermarket r/f sways for prius but not that it didn't have one for the r! Should be a huge diff even if they're not that stiff. Adding to my list of must haves.

Btw sounds like you're new to this. Be careful of the mod bug =). Caught me and now I have a 306whp/360wtq forester with supporting suspension etc. Started with wheels tires suspension and I just couldn't stop. Just a warning I'm trying to create and stick to a list for the prius. Point of the car is to save $ after all!

Samsung Epic ?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the thread. Someday I'll get one. My new tires are all I can afford for awhile. lol

4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I told ya so!

/hey mike I'd be working in your area starting next week, wanna try how strut tower bar feels like :)

5. kochusan

kochusan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with you about the sway bar addition. I installed the Scion XB bar before the Prius Plus one was available. They really look like the same bars just red v. white. The difference was amazing. Prior to the bar everything was: flop over, set on soft springs then understeer like crazy.

This was especially frustrating comparing to my Miata with sways, coilovers, custom bumps, braces and bushings.

Now, the Prius still flops over on the marshmallow soft springs but the rear is definitely more planted with reduced understeer - but it still understeers a LOT (due to 65 series rubber). Next to go on are Tanabe Sustec SO-C coilovers and strut tower brace - they're sitting in the garage now waiting for a sunny day. Maybe someday some Enkei RPF1s in 17" but I've heard a lot about the mileage hit.

For the money, the sway is a great deal - all improvements without an increase in N/V/H. 30 minutes tops to install in the garage with hand tools. Maybe Toyota left it out since they never thought anyone would push a Prius even mildly hard - but don't you think one would actually SAVE gas by turning faster and conserving momentum?

Searching for the limit of adhesion....

6. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it feels better at higher PSI (I run 42/38) , but then there isn't much grip. I can make 4 wheels slide going around corner and it may oversteer under some conditions.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time for you to upsize to 17" wheels. lol

8. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know the thickness and if it's solid or hollow? It would be nice to have a list of our options and their specs. Anyone get other aftermarket rear sways? Maybe we need a separate sticky on all the main options front and rear and their specs =).

9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TRD bars are hollow external 7/8" (22.4mm).. the thickness unknown, ~2mm(?). The only solid bar is Cusco, and it is 16-17mm. It is expensive though almost x2.

Search GenIII tech forum there were many threads on swaybars, part numbers, etc good luck

10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    New to the mod bug! Try swapping a 1966 Chevy 327 with PowerGlide 2 speed, to a 1967 Pontiac LeMans (326 with column shift) and adding headers, straight pipes to GTO tail pipes, and a B&M shift kit to put the shifter on the trans hump - by yourself... in your girl friend's driveway in the swank part of town. Now that is modding. I was doing that in the early 1980's. I have changed leaf springs on a 68 Dodge in the parking lot in my apartment complex... late 70's. No, I just wanted a sway bar this time since it didn't have one. It would have been good for rock crawling, though.

I haven't even changed my wheels, and the tires needed changing anyway. Okay, I did add the glowing Toyota hood emblem, but just for funsies. My wife wants one on her Ford now.

I don't want lower springs, or a front strut tower brace, or 17's. The car already has a front sway bar. I would have to be convinced that the FSTB was worth it. Those towers are so buried in the firewall that it doesn't seem they could move. It's not like an old Mustang where the towers are 3 feet down the front fenders.

11. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    and kill MPG? naah

I'd rather get springs and shocks

Threej likes this.
  12. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would really have to feel that to know it was worth it. Those towers are so buried in the firewall, I don't know how they could move if they wanted to.

Anyway, odd that Toyota took care of the front steering geometry, but couldn't even put a cheap sway bar on the rear. NIGHT AND DAY!!!

13. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Naw, just get grippier tires. I lost maybe 1 mpg, but less than 2 with the Primacy MXV4. But it fixes everything else - most especially the road noise. I am running 37/35, btw. Awesome ride.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aww come on man. There is no loss of MPG when going with 17s. :p

2 people like this.
  15. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have Tanabe STB and lower under-brace.

STB made steering lighter, more precise and added front grip. Similar effects from lower brace installed later, but barely noticeable, at least with OEM springs/shocks.

Not surprised at all. In Japan they had 5 different shock configurations, I'll bet all spring options are firmer then the ones for US. It probably lesser issue with firm springs. And adding swaybar would reduce profit margins, they are making 200-300$ per car at most

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you guys feel the MY12 Plus Performance package will handle bone stock?

I am thinking of building chassis braces for mine and go from there with other goodies :p

Mike

17. Jeff.F

Jeff.F New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a tower brace on my '94 GTI. Man, did it make a difference.

18. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And they make you go faster;)

19. lulzMPG

lulzMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have a turbocharged Forester??? I'm coming from a BMW M3 so the mod bug is still around... I can't stand the stock ride height on the Prius anymore hahaha. I think the rear sway bar might be a fun upgrade!

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still wonderin how a bone stock MY12 with the full Plus Performance package will handle. Will it be like a go-cart or just a tighter feeling street car? I know the street tires will be a big limit but the shorter higher rate springs and rear swaybar should do something good for the car :) In a couple months I could post the answer but I won't have my car until then :(

Mike