1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plz somebody, just a few general Prius electrical questions...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chris Wolfgram, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So, just having a little streak of paranoia here...

I'm fixing to upgrade my stereo with a modest sized 5 ch amp. Depending on which amp I decide on, it will probably be fused between 50 and 90 amps.

What I need to know is, with my 2019 Prius LE, if I were to be parked, and listening to my stereo.... and maybe with the heater or AC running too, where does the juice come from for the amp ? I mean obviously, if it could be taken from "the big battery" their wouldn't be any problem. In fact, maybe then Id consider 3 x 10,000 wt, 500 amp amplifiers :) lol JK.

Anyway, how does this work in a Prius ? Or for that matter, for any hybrid car ?
    Obviously I don't want to screw anything up. The car audio place I'm dealing with, is a large, reputable place, and when the owner walked and and saw my car, he didn't have any problem with my request. He just asked, "Is this a 2019" ? Then said, sure. That wont be a big deal...

PS, I'm sticking with the stock head unit for now.... and even with the stock mids and highs, until when, and if I blow them :) I actually think they sound good (depending on the music source) ....and when they are not struggling to make bass, which they will not be here shortly.
    I will mostly be playing MP'3's from a flash drive + I think I am going to go on and get Sirius XM....

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The car has a 12v system like most every other Toyota on the street. The fundamental differences are the battery itself and the charging system.

The battery is smaller, of a different type, and located in different parts of the car for different Prius models through the years.

The DC/DC converter is a solid state device that takes the high voltage DC from the traction battery and outputs 14ish volts to the 12V bus as needed, much the way an alternator would. It is only active when the car is in Ready mode.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the generations I'm familiar with, the DC/DC converter can comfortably output around 100 amps tops. Some of that has to go to making the car work.

4. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Okay, so of course you know that even if my amplifier ran a 90 amp fuse, theoretically, it should not be actually drawing anywhere close to that continuously, on a regular basis. Probably more like 30 amps, with 50 amp peaks. Seems like this should be okays then, huh ?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, so long as you only use it in Ready, so it can recharge the 12 volts via the big battery and if needed, recharge the big battery via the engine.

6. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well, I'm not sure if this is a good thing.... but I already sit in my car "A LOT" with my car in the ready mode, running the AC or heater, stock stereo playing, charging a couple phones, etc. I do ride share, so a lot of time sitting, and waiting.

Oh but here's a BIG question !?!? So, say I'm sitting and waiting, heater or AC on + my upgraded stereo playing, with the car in the ready mode > Will the car know when the 12 volt system is getting low, then fire up the gas motor automatically, to charge the 12 volt battery back up ? I mean, it does this now, for the stock stuff.... but will it do the same after upgrading the stereo system ?

7. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Awesome :) I think we were typing at the same time :) lol

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, the 12v replenishment is fully automatic and has a very long record without common failure; it’s as bedrock as there is in a Prius.

Again, just like an alternator.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just like a magic alternator with a rock-steady output voltage no matter what the engine is doing.

Chris Wolfgram likes this.
  10. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Awesome
    I don't remember all the details, or what hybrid or all electric vehicle was being talked about.... But some car audio gurus, over on another forum were talking about running a 30K watt system off of the main battery... I believe with some sort of converter or something, and they said even as rediculous as that system was, the cars battery would barely feel it, and that it could play for hours ? Hmmm...