1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Polar Ice For 2016

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 23, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For a fella who got clubbed and knifed there (one does not kidnap the King), Cook was quite revered in Hawaii. Still is.

He was right in there in terms of botany research and 'the longitude problem'. Quite a fella.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <GROAN>
    I've been a fan of satellite observations; less for earlier; and nothing before 1850. It has to do with accuracy and a record with continuity. One that can be traced back to standards.

As much as I can appreciate Captain Cook's efforts, I'll have to take a pass on this for myself. But I can appreciate the confidence of others. Let me see what I can do next week.

Bob Wilson

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    fuzzy1 and bwilson4web like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a graph explicitly showing the temperature:
    Ocean and Ice Services | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut

For those who missed it in another thread last week, here is a repost:

... for the first time, we have record low Arctic and Antarctic sea ice simultaneously. That high Antarctic ice that have been 'saving' us or 'counterbalancing' the Arctic loses the past several years, is gone:

CNN: Amid higher global temperatures, sea ice at record lows at poles

Google: Arctic Sea Ice Graphs

#144 fuzzy1, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am having a hard time understanding why the crack in Larsen C is significant. I've been monitoring the Antarctic sea ice coverage and substantially larger areas have already broken up and floated away. In particular the sea ice in front of the Ross Ice sheet has floated away.

Now the Southern Summer is going to come to a close in a couple of weeks and re-freezing will begin again. But in these weeks of open water, the sun light is absorbed much more than when covered with ice. In effect, warming Antarctica just as the loss of Arctic sea ice warms that region too.

But in the big scheme of things, the pending Larson C break doesn't appear to have as much effect since it is still there, reflecting sun light. I don't think anyone has reported it is a anchoring piece.

Bob Wilson

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can guarantee you the temp has nothing to do with CO2 absorbing radiation.
    There has been no sunlight to be absorbed.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Funny, I saw the sun today.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The only thing I see novel about Larson C fissure is that it has been monitored more closely over time than similar in past.

Or possibly the A B C sequence extends to (or closer to) grounded ice uphill. Along the lines of C being the last holdback.

Concerning Antarctic T, only data I have seen is that it is and has been flat. It is a difficult place to warm from overlying air, one would think.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've wondered if that might be the case. The Antarctica Peninsula has two research sites which might explain why Larson would be more easily observed (not that anything in Antarctica is easy.)
    The closest Northern hemisphere structure is Greenland and though it has the occasional 'melt spell', Greenland appears to have been significantly colder than some of the smaller islands in the Arctic circle.

Bob Wilson

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We have not yet here discussed evacuation of Antarctic research station because of substrate (newly) unstable.

In general, people are collecting more data down there, both from orbit and 'propeller flying'. High times for Earth System Science at one endpoint. I hope it stays that way.

Cause South Polar scientists love drivin' their Ferraris!

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm fascinated by what has happened in Antarctica:
    [​IMG]
    The blue areas are loss of sea ice and the sun is high in the sky and thus warming the sea.

Bob Wilson

#152 bwilson4web, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Traffic volume on the NSR increased in 2016 | Northern Sea Route Information Office

Traffic volume on the Northern Sea Route in 2016 has increased by 35% in comparison with 2015 and reached 7 mln 265,7 th tonnes (cargo delivered – 3 mln 119 th 560 tonnes, cargo shipped out – 4 mln 146 th 95 tonnes). That was reported by the NSR Administration.

In accordance with the data on the NSR Administration, volume of oil and oil products transportation increased by 4 times to 3 mln 473 th 822 tonnes, LNG transportation slightly rose and reached 114 th 482 tonnes. Volume of coal transportation reduced by 38,4% to 219 th 759 tonnes, ore concentrate shipment decreased by 31% and reached 55 th 176 tonnes. Other dry cargo also reduced by 14,6% to 3 mln 402 th 416 tonnes.

Good news for shippers. Not so good for critters dependent upon sea ice.

Bob Wilson