1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Polar Ice for 2017

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Source: Worrisome first quarter of 2017 climate trends - Yale Climate Connections

With the first quarter of 2017 now past, the year is shaping up to be one of climate extremes: high temperatures, low sea ice, and coral bleaching.

The year is shaping up to be one of #climate extremes: high temps, low sea ice, and coral bleaching.
    Global surface temperatures continue to increase in-line with climate model predictions, and the world has now experienced an increased global temperature of about 0.8 degrees C (1.5 degrees F) since 1970. Temperatures for the first three months of the year were actually warmer than the 2016 average, and there is a reasonable chance that 2017 for a fourth consecutive year will be the warmest on record.

Global sea ice extent is near historic lows in the Arctic and Antarctic, and Arctic sea ice volume has also been decreasing as it ages and thins, with less new ice to replace it. The Great Barrier Reef experienced an unprecedented second consecutive year of coral bleaching, the only major coral bleaching on record to have occurred other than in an El Niño year.
    . . .

Bob Wilson

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just attended Climate March near my town. I felt in our current political climate, marching is just not enough. Sigh :(

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Carbon black in the Arctic, an interesting problem: http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/HFO-Arctic_ICCT_Report_01052017_vF.pdf

Dwindling sea ice is opening new shipping routes through the Arctic, with shipping
    activity expected to increase with oil and gas development and as ships take
    advantage of shorter trans-Arctic routes from Asia to Europe and North America.
    However, with increased shipping comes an increased risk of accidents, oil spills, and
    air pollution. Potential spills of heavy fuel oil (HFO) and emissions of black carbon (BC)
    are of particular concern for the Arctic. Heavy fuel oil poses a substantial threat to the
    Arctic environment because it is extremely difficult to recover once spilled and the
    combustion of HFO emits BC, a potent air pollutant that accelerates climate change.
    For these reasons, the Arctic Council (AC) has called HFO “the most significant threat
    from ships to the Arctic environment” (Arctic Council, 2009). Thus, understanding how
    much HFO is consumed and carried by ships in the Arctic, and how much BC is emitted
    by these ships, is critical to assessing the current and future risks of Arctic shipping.

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Who knew?Arctic Sea Ice is near the highest levels in the past 7000 years(likely 10,000)

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Graph @25 is most welcome. Appears to show 6 decreases in West Greenland similar in scale to the most recent one, from 500 years ago to the last data used. To make that current one would want to know what that measurement is currently. Sha et al's core ends 130 years ago.

With that we could better approach the question of current sea-ice concentration.

++
    Providing links to all these studies is a good thing. If all one knows about them is what no tricks zone tells you, they are an underutilized resource to be sure.

++
    Another of the links is to Li et al., with Fig 4. shown. I mention this because it is a topic we have addressed before. That the GISP2 core 'top' proxies to -31.6 oC. Onsite air T from 2008 through 2016 averages -28.8 oC. Higher than any proxy T from the GISP2 core.

It was 2016 June when I collected those data, and soon should look for another year data from those brave (cold) weatherfolk.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually, I don't care since the satellite record clearly shows the Arctic is losing ice and there have been a surprising loss of sea ice around Antarctica: Sea Ice Index

Arctic:
    [​IMG]
    Antarctic:
    [​IMG]

The Northern hemisphere waves are and have been always been natural but their recent magnitude seems to be bringing more tropical heat to the Arctic region. The net effect is loss of multi-year ice so what is formed melts more easily.
    [​IMG]

So where did that extra heat come from? The CO{2} blanket over the planet. The natural waves are just the same natural transport mechanism that appears in recent decades, the satellite era, to work in the Arctic winter to reduce ice growth.

Imagine you have a pan of room temperature tap water and another pan of heated water. You can pour both into a basin which that act of pouring is a natural transfer mechanism. Just the hot water can scald you versus tepid water. The natural transport mechanism works just fine to move the higher heat to the Northern and possibly Southern polar areas.

I appreciate the hunt for paleo-records but since 1850, we've had thermometers and since the 1960s, weather satellites in polar orbit. Since the 1970s, we have fairly accurate, empirical data that traces to national standards. Modern instruments are tracking the relationship between man-made CO{2} concentration and global warming. Natural waves are just the transport mechanism of this heat to reduce Arctic ice and recent data suggests, Antarctica is also losing sea ice.

Bob Wilson

#28 bwilson4web, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Global heat redistribution is a time-varying thing, even when CO2 does not vary much. I have no doubt this is the main message of many of the 17 cited articles. This was important message in those 2 I looked at. No response to the other 15 (maybe later? maybe somebody else is interested?).

According to no tricks zone they also establish that heat redistribution prevails even when CO2 does increase. This is not correct for those 2 articles - it was not within their their scope. Whether the website also misleads concerning the other 15 I don't know.

BobW points out that global heat redistribution doesn't care whether heat arose from infrared trapping. Seems intuitive, but one would want to get a better handle on it. We return, unfortunately, to realizing that ocean-dynamics modeling is not yet very skillful. Matters to me much more than any amount of waving and spinning. From any 'flank' of wavers and spinners.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean, it was at the last plotted datapoint. That was more than a century ago. I want to see a 21st Century datapoint on there.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This should be doable. Would make sense to contact Sha, who published details of the transfer function in 2014. Ask "for what area, and for what times of year, should we look at ice-cover imagery?" Then do it. I am a fan of keeping original authors in the loop.

Actually Fig. 6 of Sha et al. 2014 shows most recent (April) sea ice at about 15%. This may be answer the question, but it seems most important to run that by Sha, and get 'a blessing' on the comparison.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Presuming that @31 is on the right track, it might be quite interesting to contact Sha Longbin of Ningbo University about this. (S)he may be unaware of this work being 'reinterpreted' by no tricks. Might even be 'bu kwaila'.

I tell ya, mojo is a sparkler among PriusChat's box of damp fireworks.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We'll see. His past practice was 'cut-and-paste' scraped from 'the usual suspects' without follow-up or evidence of his own content ... more ash or spent cinder.

Bob Wilson

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Admundsen did the NW passage in the timeframe of the endpoint of the 7000 year graph.In a wooden boat nonetheless.
    Meaning you will have a bitch of a time proving there is much less ice now.
    But go for it.
    Citations?

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amundsen:

"He planned a small expedition of six men in a 45-ton fishing vessel, Gjøa, in order to have flexibility. His ship had relatively shallow draft. His technique was to use a small ship and hug the coast ...
    Because the water along the route was sometimes as shallow as 3 ft (0.91 m), a larger ship could not have made the voyage"

Roald Amundsen - Wikipedia

"... some of the waterways were extremely shallow (3 ft (0.91 m) deep), making the route commercially impractical."

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Citations?"@34. Might make sense to start with the 17 you linked. First two I looked at lend support to the idea. Contrary to no-tricks 'tricks'. Fifteen more await examination.

Polar ice dynamics might resemble air-T dynamics in the sense that they are routinely variable, but that current rates of change have been unusually rapid. However, proxies often have limited time resolution. So we work with what we have.

Current efforts to core marine sediments off the (south polar) Pine Island Glacier. They aim to examine Antarctic ice dynamics for the past several million years. Wishing well for that effort; if Holocene includes times of dynamic ice loss they will surely detect that.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also Ahmundsen did not make the passage in one season. He overwintered on the southeast coast of King William Island in a protected bay.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    overwintered @38. For two years. Now he'd just pop right through I suppose. Those wacky explorers in times gone by provide part of the evidence that Arctic is currently unusual.

iplug likes this.