1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Polar Ice for 2017

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 22, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Greenland Summit T is still being measured:
    Greenland Summit air T 2016 to 2017.png
    Presented here (amusingly) in Fahrenheit, I thought that all eggheads had switched to metric. More interested in numbers than squiggle, it appears necessary to email somebody for a file. Report on that later.

But by searching done already I see that low T in 2016 July was unusual and led to some media predicting new ice age or whatever. Which led to facepalms by rationalists. Somehow we missed that here, but Greenland summit just keeps going along. Gawd what an awful place! But we are obliged to look because the GISP2 core proxy temperature ranged from -32 to -29 oC over 5000 years. Now that place is warmer, outside the GISP2 range.

Only two motivations for staying with this topic. First, respect for work being done there. Second, I feel certain that somebody else in future will tell the GISP2 story wrong again, and such may drift into our view here.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not merely two winters, but two winters in the very same place, in the harbor of what is now Gjoa Haven, Nunavut. No progress that summer.

They also spent a third winter out, at Herschel Island, Yukon, before proceeding on to Nome Alaska.

#42 fuzzy1, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It was a whacking awful time to get through northern ice, but 'big A' had his motivations. No slouch either in later South-Polar work. We'd do well to honor all that and not disrespect by claiming his battle with ice was trivial as it would be under current conditions.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No slouch, certainly, when he set out alone on a 500 mile trek to the nearest telegraph station, at Eagle, Alaska, to 'phone home'. Then returned to spend the rest of the winter with his crew.

That three year voyage must have been good training for the South Pole.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Those were the days, and the people, eh? Now we just sit in our nearly isothermal boxes and respond to internetting that strikes us well or ill. If someone proposed we are not up to Major Challenges Anymore, I'd have to search for counter examples.

Such do exist, but this is not quite right place for exposition.

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem, the Germans are watching the poles and it appears both Northwest and Northeast passages will open this year:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    {sigh} Deja vu all over again.

No, Greenland ice mass is nowhere near a record high. That graph above is basically the annual surface accumulation, net after surface melting. It does not include the calving loss, which is very substantial. Even though every curve on the graph above shows a net annual surface gain, the overall change including calving losses has been averaging a 200Gt/year loss.

Here is the most recent (last year) GRACE ice mass total. It would take many years of the above surface accumulation, without any calving losses at all, to catch back up to the recorded maximum:
    Grace_curve_La_EN_20160300.png
    http://polarportal.dk/fileadmin/polarportal/mass/Grace_curve_La_EN_20160300.png
    Total mass change: Polar Portal
    To refresh on past discussions, read these:
    Future temperatures | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Future temperatures | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Future temperatures | Page 3 | PriusChat
    [​IMG]

#50 fuzzy1, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    bwilson4web likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, so let's see:
    The Russians are very good about tracking the shipping on their side of the Arctic:
    [​IMG]
    The Russians don't track the Northwest traffic which includes a tourist cruise last year.

In effect, the Arctic sea ice continues to decrease and shipping and cruise companies are making a living off of it.

BTW, we just had another slug of cool air descend on Alabama this week. A blast that allows another dollop of warm tropical air to help melt the Arctic sea ice. It is a funny irony how cooler air in the lower 48 means less Arctic sea ice ... for a while.

Bob Wilson

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What does that have to do the amount of sea ice in the Arctic? The American Southwest is a desert, but every once in awhile a deluge happens, causing flash floods. It doesn't mean the place is no longer a desert.

Apparently, you didn't even bother looking at the article you linked. This was only about a quarter way into it.

"We had a bit of stuff that forms over the winter, the normal ice in the area," he said. "What we're experiencing now is the ice that has come south through the Arctic due to melting up there."
    I underlined the important bit.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The next line is also quite important:

"What's unusual this year, Hodgson said, is the way the winds have pushed the thick pack ice towards land rather than out to sea."

I thanked Mojo for linking to a news article that points to Arctic melting, in contradiction to one of his usual talking points. So apparently his mind is more open than it usually seems from his postings.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not really as the @mojo model is much simpler. We know that weather has a somewhat random, chaotic pattern and climate has a much longer scale, a trend. So the 'title' of this article is one that attracts interest of the climate deniers and this has turned out to be the @mojo pattern:
    • His sources are climate deniers - to my best memory, he has never posted an original analysis of data. Rather, he monitors the 'usual suspects' who search for any denial of man-made, global warming articles they can find ... even if the content contradicts the title.
    • He typically reposts just a link to the 'article' without reading or understanding - this is why it was so easy to find the flaws, the actual facts and data contradicting what he brings.
    This has been such a common pattern, it is actually boring. When called on his simple humbug, he reverts to personal attacks. Me, I don't mind, but he uses this same pattern in pretty much any thread where this simple pattern is revealed. Sad to say, it often reveals his problem with reality.

In another thread, @mojo posted a graph with obvious errors:
    • two 1880s in time scale, X-axis - uh Oh, someone used a graphic editor
    • does not match UK Hadley data - confirmation that someone took a graphic editor to falsify the work of others
    Because of ignorance, willful or otherwise, @mojo remains incapable of supporting the original graph or even reading the content of the links he posts as we've noticed. Yet I notice @mojo is retreating to paleo studies, uncalibrated, imprecise, partial observations. In contrast, modern science and observations have gutted the claims of his recent data sources and the rate is accelerating.

As far as I'm concerned, paleo studies often look like the book of Genesis. Slivers of the dead used to speculate about what today is as simple as looking up industrial age records. Better still, satellite records that are often global and calibrated to ground observations.

I appreciate Doug's suggestion that dealing with @mojo improves our understanding. I have no problem with current data. Just @mojo either by design or I like to think, willful ignorance, continues to toss out time wasting nonsense. Especially when dealing with current facts and data.

Bob Wilson

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus