1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Polestar 2 price lowered to help buyers claim incentives

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2021 Polestar 2 electric sedan pricing, options announced | Autoblog

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    It seems like a nearly "no duh" thing for Volvo to do.
    But I still wonder how easy it might be for buyers to limbo under or at that $60,000 threshold. Lowering it to starting price of $59,900 isn't leaving much wiggle room, if any options are added, or dealer mark-up. For it to be anything much more than an advertising lure, they have to get their respective dealerships to be willing to support actually selling the vehicles at the starting price.

Sometimes I think Manufacturers and Dealerships can be their own worst enemies. For example, in 2010 I felt Honda, WANTED to release the Insight at a significantly lower price than the Gen 3 Prius. To grasp the mantle of being the Hybrid for the masses. But when I went out to look at the time, Honda Dealers were so greedy they were marking Insights up $2000-$3000 dollars above starting price. Which meant a rather spartan Insight was competing price wise, almost directly with a much better equipped Gen 3.

So anyway, I think undeniably makes sense for Volvo, as long as their own dealerships cooperate.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although I appreciate reports of EV cars coming to market, it is not the market of January 2020:
    • unemployment is 10 times greater and climbing
    • GDP growth is down at least 25%
    • Federal and State subsidies are 'bread line' level
    I have no animus for the new entrants but IMHO, they should sell in Asia, China, S. Korea, and Australia, this quarter. The rest of the world has or is becoming 'corona closed'.

Bob Wilson

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but even if you are losing the fight, you still keep your hands up.
    So the strategy still makes sense for Volvo. Even given the challenges of the time.
    And I would speculate that anyone coming into the market looking at vehicles in the $60,000 range? Well they probably aren't unemployed or in the bread line.
    Those purchases aren't impulsive or casual. If you're even looking at a $60,000 automobile it's because you think you can afford it.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there's only a handful of options. It's a double win since there's a lower MSRP plus a greater state incentive. As opposed to $65k plus $500, it's $60k minus $2k in additional rebates. That's $7,500 less than they would've paid.

Or the dealers didn't want to sell it and marked it up hoping to catch whatever "bozo" wanted a hybrid. In Canada, it wasn't priced very well. The LX cost the same as a base Prius but was missing a number of items (most notable was VSA or Honda's stability control). You had to step up to the EX which cost $2k or $3k more and had to take in nav among other items to get VSA. At that price, it's the same as a mid-range Prius (no nav but with more features).

The Electric Me likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Poll Star . . . .
    isn't that name already trade marked?

[​IMG]

;)