1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Police admit low speed limits are often unsafe

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by windstrings, Aug 8, 2014.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do You Know How They Set Speed Limits?:

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    55 is unsafe

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't they clock the fastest car over the course of some period of time, and set the speed limit based on that? sure seems like it anyway.

for some reason, around here, when they increase the speed limit in an area right before a set of lights, or a sharp corner, instead of right after. so you're going along 30 or 35, and the speed goes unto 35 or 40 and you hammer the throttle, only to have a red light around the bend.

#3 bisco, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
    RCO likes this.
  4. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It's actually the Variance in speed that is unsafe. Example: Having a 40/70 posted min/max speed limit. If the state had 50/60 min/max limits, then cars would be closer in speed, and accidents would cause minimal damage (only 10 mph difference between vehicles when they hit).

Of course the state knows if they are too onerous with their speed laws, then there will be a backlash from the voters.

5. DrivingShrink

DrivingShrink New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am concerned at how you deal with frustration. I fear you practice what a collegue of mine next door practices (see video). Please don't run red lights or stop on the freeway. You will have more to worry about than wet rags if you continue. I don't understand this thread. Earlier you were entering a highway ramp at a very low speed, but now you don't condone it? Conflicted?

I am fear for your well being.

[media]

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i am also fear.:unsure:

if you're on a 40/70, the best think to do is 40 in the left lane.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great movie!

We have a 4/5 Lane freeway that circles Fort worth with a psl of 60...really?

8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just obey whatever the speed sign says. If it say 40/70 I do that, and if it says 50/60 for the min/max then I will obey that too. I am fear your cops. ;)

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the best way not to get deported for sure.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who gets deported these days? who's gonna clean the bathroom's?

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Troy sounded like he was...

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's an exception to every rule...

RCO likes this.
  13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an excellent article on this in yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald:

Should we have higher speed limits?

And yet, a controversial derestricted speed limit trial on Northern Territory highways hasn’t amounted to a single fatality or serious injury in the seven months since being opened, Fairfax Media can reveal. The Northern Territory government is now considering extending the trial, such is its provisional success.

“Since February 1 there have been no deaths or serious injuries on the 200km stretch whatsoever. There have been two infringement notices for people who have driven through a work zone at ridiculous speeds and there was a rollover of an unregistered car that was later attributed to drink driving and not speed.

“On all accounts, Territory motorists have been responsible and obeyed the road rules since the trial began.”

Open speed limits were abolished by the former Territory Labor Government in 2006 and replaced by a maximum limit of 130km/h. More people died on Territory roads (307) in the six years after the change than in the six years before (292) when speed limits were not restricted.​

But on the other hand....

Lyngcoln pointed to a Victorian case study where accident rates increased with raised speed limits.

“In 1987, VicRoads raised the speed limit from 100km/h to 110km/h on the rural and outer Melbourne freeway network, and the casualty crash rate increased by 24.6 percent,” he said.

“When the 100km/h speed limit was reintroduced 12 months later, the casualty crash rate decreased by 19.3 percent. These results are consistent with national and international experience.”

Conditions in Victoria - which is smaller than England and has 6 million people - and the Northern Territory - which is the size of Britain, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and Denmark, and has 200,000 people - are very different, and I think this may explain the difference in results. The roads in the NT are so long and straight and empty that staying down to 130km/h (80ish mph) will cause you to fall asleep, crash and die. No limit is a better idea there.

But urban Australian drivers are terrible at highway driving, even with a 110km/h limit, so I think Victoria and New South Wales do need a limit, at least within three or four hours' drive of Sydney and Melbourne. The limit should be higher than 110 - maybe 120 or 130 - but it shouldn't be derestricted anywhere where a lot of urban people drive.

RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fair enough, but what's more important, fiery automobile deaths and dismemberment, or climate change?

RCO likes this.
  15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's definitely an issue, and it is likely to lead to lower speed limits, until we have renewable energy driving our cars.

RCO likes this.
  16. SidS1045

SidS1045 dumber than a box of hair

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Depends.

If a real, live traffic engineer sets the speed limit, he/she measures the average speed of free-flowing traffic, and sets the speed limit to the 85th percentile speed, rounded to the nearest 5mph increment. Due consideration is given to hazards in the area that might make a lower limit safer.

If a politician sets the speed limit, all bets are off.

RCO, windstrings and Robert Holt like this.
  17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see the issue by far to be concerned about is distracted driving. This thread may have been a reaction to the thread - being pulled over for going the minimum speed limit...a bait designed for senseless argument. Besides, not many do it. I see far more drivers go over the limit in the Dallas area.

Back to distracted driving, I am suprized not to see an accident from someone pivoting into an exit - pivoting! Sometimes they will go across several lanes to exit. Then there is the driver that does not respond to the obvious because they are on the phone. Many traffic jams are the result of people driving zombie, then when an accident occurs not being alert enough to give time to go around it. That and senseless rubbernecking. :rolleyes:

Another factor is many just don't plan their trip. Result is they miss turns and attempt to compensate with aggressive driving. Of course, some drive aggressively anyway....sort of back to topic, if a pack of cars is going 65 and some yahoo plows thru at 85, they nice personume no unexpected moves as they race thru...that's how accidents happen. A variation is in D/FW people that enter/exit HOV lanes in non-designated areas.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You forgot to mention senseless Rednecking! Moseying in the left hand Lane in their big trucks and 18 wheelers like they're out on the farm roads somewhere!

19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ the list goes on.

People using the shoulder as a passing lane!

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Gaper delay causes me to lose all hope for humanity.