1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Policy question: reporting 'clickbait'

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by bwilson4web, Jul 5, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Recently we had a 'clickbait' scam pulled by someone posting about their web site with a blatantly wrong title:
    Once is not a trend but neither was the first SPAM. I also realize folks have not had a chance to really mull this over. But it was kinda of new to me (in my sheltered life.) So my question is:

Do you want a "report" when this shows up or a treat it like a slice of SPAM tossed into a piranha tank?

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Click baits are the next thing to filter on the Internet. Facebook already started filtering clickbaits. I've mentally trained myself to not click on titles with "you won't believe, jaw dropping, they don't what you to know, nasty surprise, etc." There's actually a list of clickbait phrases publishers use to increase traffic to their page. I don't click on anything from Motley Fool, BGR.com, and Forbes.com, and I will add 247wallst.

aaroncv3, bwilson4web and fotomoto like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob, i'm not following you. are you saying these priuschat members might have ulterior motive's? i thought the click bait was the original headlines outside of priuschat. tried it with, 'you won't believe these pictures of the titanic'. unfortunately, i did believe them and had seen them all previously. but there's so much advertising, it takes forever to see even one, and you wind up leaving.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    SPAM and 'clickbait' both work to similar economic models ... getting something for nothing. SPAM is trying to dilute content with solicitations for purchase and click-bait is trying to scam advertisers by getting folks to leave our forum to put 'eyes on' the click-bait site.

SPAM is handled by deleting. I'm wondering if click-bait should be treated the same way?

Of course there is the entertainment value from ripping their nonsense apart.

Bob Wilson

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Clickbait is especially challenging on this forum as there are many shades of grey.

There are some new and even well established priuschat members who may post such just for the sensationalist or antagonist reaction but have nothing in particular to want marketed on the linked site.

Heck, even advertising algorithms are doing it autonomously now such as with the auto link to an unrelated book/movie in my last post here.

Sometimes it is even in jest, and depending on ones personal politics may be received well or poorly by others.

6. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    7 Little Known Facts About Your Prius PriusChat
    Woman makes $1000 a week with her Prius and this 1 little trick PriusChat
    How to get free replacement battery modules with one simple phone call PriusChat
    Don't put another drop of gas in your Prius until you read this! PriusChat

lol I kid, I kid.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You almost got me to click it! Argghhh... I am still susceptible!

aaroncv3 and bisco like this.
  8. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a dirty trick. I'm sorry and I won't let it happen again. ;)

ftl likes this.