1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll and Question. Are extended warranties worth it on a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Beachnut, Jun 4, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm at 80,000 miles and am on my 3rd steering motor and 2nd inverter. I have also had an HV battery ecu fail on me too.

The early gen3's built in 2009 and early 2010 don't seem to be up there for reliability.

I guess it all depends on how much spare money you have lying around incase something expensive breaks. Like others have said. People think of an extended warranty as money down the drain if you don't need to use it, but it's also a God send if your transmission fails.

Your call :)

2. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do not buy the extended warranty all the time, just when it is priced "reasonable", and i need the "security blanket" to hold on to. I have found Square Trade extended warranties to be much less expensive in price to the manufacturers, or stores prices, so I have gone to them a few times. I agree it is a "crap shoot" on weather or not they will pay, but so often these days, things break, right after the factory warranty is over. Almost to the point i am beginning to think it is by design. Our 14 month old HP printer, 2 months out of warranty, is flipping out, so they offer me a $78 - 2 year extended warranty. Now I am just waiting for the month delay to be over to send it in.

On our Prius, the $1200.00 cost for my extended warranty might be a total loss, if it is as reliable as most others seem to be around here. But then, having just lemon law-ed out our Dodge Dart with 14 repair visits, in 15 months time, it has us gun shy. We had the extended warranty on the Dart, paid like $2200.00 for it, and got back $1700.00 after canceling it. We did get some "free" car rentals off that warranty while our Dart was down for days. Of coarse, those car rentals cost us like $500.00!

I still have time to cancel the Prius warranty, and I am still watching this threads outcome, but also still leaning towards keeping it.