1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: Are Prius brakes a problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Jan 1, 2010.

?

Experience with Prius braking

Poll closed Jan 15, 2010.
  1. 2010 Prius - have one and no brake issue (one answer)

33.3%
  2. 2010 Prius - about once per month (first answer)

13.5%
  3. 2010 Prius - about once per week

7.0%
  4. 2010 Prius - about once per day or trip

2.9%
  5. 2010 Prius - scary, safety issue (second answer)

10.5%
  6. 2010 Prius - can live with it

14.0%
  7. 2010 Prius - no big deal, not a risk

17.0%
  8. 2004-09 Prius - have one and no brake issue (one answer)

14.0%
  9. 2004-09 Prius - about once per month (first answer)

5.3%
  10. 2004-09 Prius - about once per week

1.2%
  11. 2004-09 Prius - about once per day or trip

1.8%
  12. 2004-09 Prius - scary, safety issue (second answer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 2004-09 Prius - can live with it

3.5%
  14. 2004-09 Prius - no big deal, not a risk

14.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well the snow has moved out, barely an inch, and the temperature is is 23F / -5C. It is dark and the streets have refrozen on the asphalt. That should keep the other drivers out of my way.

We've got several railroad crossings including a few on banked turns. Sounds like a perfect time for Prius brake testing.

UPDATE:
    I've tried multiple accelerations in snow including from a standing stop on an up grade. I then followed with multiple stops in snow and ice patches including down grades. Between traction control and ABS, it worked perfectly and I never saw any evidence of the brakes weakening or releasing. This also includes stops with one tire on pavement and the other snow and ice. So then I tested some speed bumps.

I found if I approached the speed bumps at a high speed, 35-40 mph, and braked so I was at 30-35 mph when going over the bump, there was a momentary release. But this is what I would expect if one or more wheels were in the air or too lightly loaded to have any traction. This is somewhat like driving over the potholes.
    Seriously, if we want to get a productive focus, we need:

• reproducible - we need a protocol that anyone can follow to reliably recreate it. So far, I only have one pot hole and the effect is too brief and difficult to separate from the pot hole.
    • metric - some way to measure and document it. A frame-by-frame video analysis from a video movie would be perfect.
    Bob Wilson

2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A quick bump and my thanks to:
    DetPrius - the only poster who provided a link showing where the brake problem occurs. It is too far away for me to test it easily and so far, I've had no luck replicating the symptom.
    There are at least 17 who report either weekly or daily incidents and 15 who consider it scary. Yet only one person has posted any location data or photos.

Please, bring photos or Google map coordinates or something that shows where these 'brake' problems are occurring. If they are completely random, that is something different and we need to know that too.

Bob Wilson

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bob,

With all due respect, it might be impossible for us as owners/drivers to safely document the items you're asking for. I, for one, don't want to have to pull my car over and take pictures/measurements of a pothole I may encounter that might cause the effect. I don't want to encourage people do put themselves in harm's way by finding such metrics.

Also, based on the observations of many, I don't see how using casual methods readily available to the general public one can find much meaningful correlation between the events and the sensation. It's SO fleeting that unless you're somehow hooking someone up to an EEG machine that's synchronized with high speed frame cameras, I don't see how you can determine exactly where the sensation begins in relationship to hitting the uneven pavement surface. I say just leave that up to the experts and let us, as ordinary (or even the few extraordinary- you know who you are) drivers note our personal, subjective observations and let the experts take it from there.

It's still important observational material that should be taken into consideration by those experts.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Google coordinates are enough. If the problem is reproducible, use Google Map or Google Earth to locate the problem spot and post the coordinates or a link here. I'm not expecting folks to walk in the middle of a 6 lane expressway and take a photo ... unless the opportunity occurs to do it safely. But a computer, at home, with a browser ... how hard can it be?

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  5. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bumped this because it gave me a reason to reflect.
    Here are my thoughts:
    1. I do find the prius a completely different drive from the last car I owned. Perhaps I have gotten used to the way the car accelerates and the way it breaks so I simply don't notice the sensation?
    2. If it is true that the car stops as quickly as any car on the road, then it must be the sensation that is unnerving. However uncomfortable and unnerving a sensation might be, it is only a perception of risk where risk does not exist.
    3. If the car is as good or better at braking and it is the sensation created is the problem, then is it really something that should be fixed?
    This in no way negates the fact that you feel a sensation of no brakes, but perhaps a few tests of stopping power would make you feel more comfortable with the brakes in the prius?

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please, we have lots of descriptions of the symptoms. We have only one hard, fast, well document location where the problem occurs. We need location, location, location ... so others can try and replicate the problem.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob, the lack of feedback on this thread falls under the "talk is cheap" category.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  8. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a reproducible spot. Going east brake to slow as you approach a round-a-bout. The car lurches strongly as it goes over an uneven patch with a dip in it.

Enter this into Google Maps: W.19th and Laurel, Vancouver, B.C.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perfect!!!

I see two patches about the same distance apart as the wheels in our Prius. This also matches the 'man hole' cover patches from the first Google Map image!

I see on the left lane, North side, curb, two drains. I think there was one in the first image.

We've only seen two spots but there appears to be a pattern. Now to see if I can find a similar patch somewhere in Huntsville.

THANKS!!
    Bob Wilson

10. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The patch that causes the problem here is only on the south west corner of the round-a-bout. It's slightly downhill, so you tend to brake going into it. That's when the car lurches strongly in response. I now use it as entertainment, like on an amusement park ride. :)

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what the two locations look like via Google map:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

12. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The spot is the left image at where the white line begins. Braking to slow at that spot reproduces the symptom noticeably. That is the only spot that does it. No where else on this corner causes the problem, so the second image doesn't apply.

13. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    bergen county NJ
    fall
    continuous line of leaves at the curb coming out about 2-3 feet
    in NJ the home owner pile the leaves in the street for pickup. they can sit in the street for several weeks and in this downhill section they formed one continuous line.

rainy day

25 mph with traffic around me

the right side of the car was one the leaves when i started to break. at first it was like nothing was happening then a little abs action as i pressed even harder. as i came to the intersection i was headed straight toward the side of a car. my car entered the "intersection box" i turned my front wheel to the right to make the turn and they finally grabbed, because they weren't on the leaves anymore, a then i proceeded around they corner.

at first i was in regen mode but, i still question as to if i was out of regen into abs brakes before the "grab and turn"

it's hard to tell but it is downhill.

map from microsoft bing

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!

Using Google street view, we can see and measure the slope:
    [​IMG]
    Every observation gives us a better understanding of the conditions.

Bob Wilson

15. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have this entered on another thread but had the regen brakes release over the two manhole covers for a fraction of a second and then the frictional brakes worked as I pushed. No perceptable increase in braking distance; no problem. See NHTSA thread for details.
    [​IMG]

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is the site of my most noticeable of two occurrences. It happened last fall and the road was dry at that time, it had rained a few hours before this picture was taken. The pot holes may not have been in exactly the same place at that time but they would have been close.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is the second, less severe incident. I was in the right turn lane and the problem occurred somewhere around the manhole cover. The street is the same today except it was dry when problem occurred. Both this and the previous incident happened last fall and I have had no other problems in several thousand miles. I have tried to recreate the problem but have not been able to do so.

Attached Files:

18. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's the bump that put you on an amusement park joy ride, at W.19th and Laurel, Vancouver, B.C.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/claude_photos/4285458117/sizes/l/"]Flickr Photo Download: bump[/ame]

19. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any condition that will trigger the very-sensitive skid "sensor" (even very briefly) appears to turn the regen braking off for about a second.

20. duraace

duraace New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That may be the cause. I wonder if there is a solution? If the regen braking goes off, shouldn't it make a smooth simultaneous transition to the regular brakes? The car really lurches forward when it hits this spot. It might cause someone not expecting it to overreact in some hazardous way.