1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: Are you getting a spare for your prius plug in?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by benalexe, Sep 27, 2012.

?
  1. I have a spare

25.0%
  2. I do not have a spare I a not planning on getting one

50.0%
  3. I do not have a spare but I am planning on getting one.

25.0%
  1. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I feel like most people here are not getting a spare tire for your PIP. Just curious if my suspicion is correct so thought I would put up a poll. If you are not Do you have a lot of confidence in the toyota fix a flat kit? Or are you not getting one because you don't want to give up the space?

2. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm strongly considering purchasing a full size spare (assuming I can keep it under <$100), and take it with me should I go on longer trips. My car is leased, so I really don't want to invest too much into accessories, etc.

3. Your sispision is korrect.

4. Anybody traveling W-O a spare is Mad, sad, bad.

5. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    naaa....I havent had a flat in so many years i cant recall..lol

Im sure now that I said that i will get one now!

with cell phones, AAA, toyota care....i dont see why i would want to take up space. But for a long roadtrip it would be a nice "peace of mind".

Dan

6. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're korrect Andy .... I'm bad. We're leaving Sat morning for a 3100 mile trip to Miami....then 2 weeks later we'll return. No spare.

Wanna make a bet ... I say no tire problems and you say flat or flats??? How much?

7. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had one flat in 24 years of driving. That was in a bad part of detriot on crappy roads. It was a puncture the fix a flat would have fixed. I have driven accross country twice and in every state without issue.

That said, the wife got two sidewall flats on her new IS within 40 days of buying it.

Its a calculated risk, but I would go to Vegas on the odds I have been seeing. (and actually have, twice with the PiP)

8. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My fear is that I get a flat in the evening when the shops are closed and I am half hour or more away from my home. So road side comes and tows the car to the local station or dealer. Then I need to get home from the dealer and then the next day get back to pick up the car. Yes a nail would be good but in the northeast a pot hole could cause a bubble or blow out, or side wall damage then totally stuck.

In addition I recall reading that to replace the goo in the kit is like $150 probably the cost of a new tire.

9. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a spare tire. Or buy a regular Prius that comes with a spare. You do have options as a consumer that will alleviate your concerns. PiP is not the right car for everyone.

mnml likes this.
  10. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Too late. :). But I love it

11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a spare because, a) I don't want to gum up my wheel or the TPMS sensor, b) I don't want to be dependant on getting timely roadside service to get to my destination, and c) I don't want the hassle of having my car tied up at a dealer.
    If I put the spare on, I have some control over getting the tire repaired or replaced. The spare takes up some space in the cargo area, but we've gotten used to working around it with groceries, etc. To me, the peace of mind is worth it.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dont plan on using the fix-a-flat. I do have a plug kit in the back though. But my first option would be to call AAA. Second would be to call Toyota Roadside. Third option, plug the tire.

Since the compressor connects to the fix-a-flat can, I'm still wondering if I can just empty the can and use that as the "connector" to pump up the tire. Seems plausible.

13. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    short of funds right now. will consider when I do. meanwhile, I don't get out much, cept work, so Toyota roadside assistance, and/or AAA I got.

14. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The compressor doesn't work without the can?? Am surprised to hear that. Guess I really need to finish reading my manual.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AAA's been mentioned in this thread, and other similar threads. What exactly are they going to do? If it's a minor puncture they do an on-the-spot plug from the outside? And if the tire is torn or somehow unrepairable they tow you, somewhere? And then you wait for a replacement tire to shipped to you?

D.O. for Toyota road service?

I don't see that as replacement for having a spare.

16. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like I said in several other posts,I'm only 2.7 miles away from work, AAA can tow my car to my local Toyota dealership which is also about 3 miles away. I can walk home

17. Chris_SoCal

Chris_SoCal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Back in July on my 5700 mile road trip I happened to get a slow leaker
    (TPM light came on at about 20PSI at 5:45 pm) and was able to top it off at a gas station.

I called the Toyota Care thing and they said all the Toyota Dealers in the area were closed so I would have to call back tommorow morning. ---Wow that was Fu**ing helpful...not----

Anyways I wasn't too far from an America's tire Co. which were also close to closing for the day, and they plugged it for free and oblviously I didn't even buy the Prius tires from them. No wonder I buy all my truck tires from them for my other vehicles, Good Atitude and customer service goes a long way with me. I had the AAA card as another back up as well.

However, what if the tire had a bad leak late at night when I was in the boonies outside of Aspen Colorado driving to some tiny town to stay the night before going into Rocky Mountain NP the next morning? "Screwed" is what I would have been. I will not do another long trip without a spare of some sort.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  18. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my case, I'd have it towed to my friend's shop where I'd get a tire mounted (or mount it myself using his machine) and then drive home. For those who do not have a friend who owns a shop, I'd imagine just taking it to a local tire store (or the dealer if you want to pay Toyota for a tire).

If I got a flat after regular business hours, then I'd just plug it and drive home and worry about it the following day. If its unrepairable, then I'd tow the car home, remove the wheel and take it to my friend's shop/tire shop the following morning.

I'm not sure why you'd need to wait to have a tire shipped to you. The regular Prius 15" tire isnt a hard tire to find locally. I also regularly see whole sets of 15" Prius wheels on Craigslist for a couple hundred dollars. Come to think of it, if I had one tire I needed to replace, I'd probably just break down and shell out for a set of 17" wheels and tires. In which case I'd end up with 3 spares in my garage.

mnml likes this.
  19. No bets, BUT, Have a good trip.

20. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Im taking a cruise out of Maryland in January. I may buy one just for that trip because Id kick an adorable puppy before I miss my ship.