1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: Are you Satisfied with the Prius Seats ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Jul 2, 2013.

?
  1. Fine, and I'm glad I was not forced to pay more for a power seat

57.7%
  2. Good enough for my Use, although I am sore after a trip longer than 3 hours

16.9%
  3. So so; I would have been happy to pay $500 more for power seats

12.7%
  4. So so; I would have been happy to pay $1000 more for power seats

1.4%
  5. The seat is a problem; I would have been happy to spend $500 more for power seats

11.7%
  6. The seat is a problem; I would have been happy to spend $1000 more for power seats

4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The seats in the V are nicer than the seats in the Prius. They feel more supportive and are more comfortable when driving long distances.

iPad using Tapatalk

2. Anomoly

Anomoly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The seats in the V are nicer than the seats in the Prius. They feel more supportive and are more comfortable when driving long distances.

iPad using Tapatalk

3. Pam C

Pam C New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The upholstery shop is my next try. I bought two seats to go over the seats from an online company Back Designs Inc. Turns out my back doesn't want a hard seat with 1" foam in the correct curves either. Too rigid, can't relax. Also puts me too high. Head 2" from the ceiling. One thing they suggested is to put washers or a nut under the 2 rear bolts that attach the seat to the floor. This would adjust the angle of the seat pan. Looked on-line, besides needing to undo the battery and wait 1/2 hour, looks like it would be simple to do. Just two 14mm bolts. I figure just get some that are longer. Toyota won't do it, nor a shop that accommodates cars. It hasn't been crash tested with this modification. So if I did the nut thing and had an upholstery shop take out the lumbar which gets in the way of the butt when the seat is more level, I might be okay. Thoughts, anyone?(Yes, I know I sound crazy, but with just a flip of my Subaru base seat I could go from uncomfortable to perfect. Same with my son, actually. He probably put it the opposite way!)

WE0H likes this.
  4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are on the right track ;-) Do whatever you can with the cushion to make it fit you.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

5. Pam C

Pam C New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think we're on to something. Just talked to an auto upholstery place. Said he just did a Prius 13 for a guy in lots of pain. Says the seat bottom is just way too cupped so your hips are lower than the knees. He said he can level that out and hasn't had someone come back needing more than that. $125. lol. The uncomfortable seats to go on top were more than that!

WE0H likes this.
  6. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Raising the Prius seat rear is slightly problematic. The tunnel side of the seat is bolted vertically to the tunnel. You would need to extend the support itself and drill a new hole for the bolts to fit through.

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I found them supportive for a what it is. This is still considered an "economy" car no? My BMW and Lexus are more supportive but not drastically. At the same time, price of the car is in a different league.

8. TK Lo

TK Lo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never liked Toyota seats, preferring Hondas fro 20 years. But, test drove both Prius and Prius V; both with lumbar option, and found I could be comfortable with lumbar full tilt and seat up. In shopping further changed color choice. Driving home I reached down to move lumbar forward...only to find no switch. The salesman missed the level. I find the seat incredibly uncomfortable without the power lumbar. It's awful to love the car but hate the most important interface point in it. Working with Toyota to see what they'll do. Yeah, should have driven the car, but understood it was the same as previous models driven, only red. Oh, Entune is a weird sort of useless bit of tech.

WE0H likes this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune is 100% worthless as far as I am concerned. I have to use a audio cable to get audio from my Galaxy Note to play thru my audio system.

Mike

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe a good time to go with some fancy leather seat covers? I don't recall if you already have the Softex seats covers or not.

Mike

11. graham hendren

graham hendren Geeman .. taximan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plain and simple the seats are shit . they might be ok for an average motorist u pops down to the shopps and back // my car is used as a taxi which means I am sat in it 8 to 10 hours a day and trust me a bed of nails would be more comfortable . in 15 years of taxi driver they are the worst I had a proton that was more comfy then these horrid seats .. Toyota should take a look at Citroen the old xantia was the best seat I ever had a real comfy seat and never bucked or moved they are the nuts like being in your comfy chair at home .. put these seats in more leg room better suspension and de clutter the cabin its to cramped in there

12. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If a person expects to sit in a parlor chair or lounge chair they obviously have bad posture, if one sit's properly with the back supported and the head resting on the headrest the seats are perfect, as they should be.
    No slack for slouchers;)

WE0H likes this.
  13. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just drove 600 miles from FL to NC last week and had no issues whatsoever with the seats. And my back is toast from years of abuse.

It's amazing how many different opinions we have on one of the most important parts of the car. I'm only 5'8" and 150lbs. I wonder if height and weight are the main culprit here?

WE0H likes this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Manually adjustable seats with limited adjustments (no tilt or lumbar adjust) stand a much higher chance of coming across as crappy than 10 way or more adjustable seats. And just about all 10-way adjustable seats happen to be powerful adjustable (run out of room for 5 different levers / knobs for a 10way manual seat).

I sat in some very nice, very expensive luxury cars at the auto show - BMW 535, Cadillac CTS, Acura RLX which I liked a heck of a lot. Sometimes even a luxury car's seat bothers me: The bolsters bottom bolsters might be too hard and narrow, made too much like a sport seat. Example of that was a loaded Buick Regal sport model.

But with Prius and its ultra hard plastics all over the interior, the unusual floating bridge console not found in any other car that I know of, too low door armrest, etc.... especially in trim Two at an auto show, it 'leaves a lot to be desired' as they say and lands itself in a position to be easily picked on....

I don't think the Prius has set any trends on interior design with its floating bridge console and brick hard Eco plastics everywhere. What are the chances another hot car is on the market with floating bridge console and hard plastics? Most everyone seems to want at least some soft touch dash surfaces.

I was sitting on the new Accord Hybrid and some lady says through the back window ... this car (Accord) smells nice inside ... the Prius smells bad. Prius has been picked on for years, it's still happening and will continue to get picked on. It's in serious need of an all-new update, yet, it will still sell ok in current form because of the big five oh MPG combined rating.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe some greaser with BO sat in the Prius before that chick sat in it? The chick could have stunk and just happened to smell herself ;)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

bisco likes this.
  16. Lisa Jean

Lisa Jean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am struggling with my seating in a brand new (3 day old) Prius. Since buying it, I have had horrible sciatica and left foot going numb. I've gotten multiple lumbar cushions, pillows, and other seating things but no success. I can't stand driving the car. I have a history of scoliosis and lumbar disc issues, but was fine until 3 days ago when I started driving this car. I tried to return it, but the dealer says "too bad, it's yours". I can trade it in or sell, but will lose thousands$$.

Then, today I noticed the steering wheel is not centered in front of the seat! It's to the left about an inch- and the seat is slightly crooked so if you sit back in it, your knees point to the outside corner of the car. No wonder I'm miserable. It's probably not noticeable to most people, I didn't notice the offset wheel or seat when I test drove.

I contacted a Recaro seat guy in Berkeley and maybe will spend a chunk of $$ to put in a Recaro- but with the steering wheel and seat tracks where they are, that could be a problem too. :cry:

17. grharman

grharman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota seats have been horrible for decades:mad: , especially the bucket type. I guess Toyota does not put as much engineering into the seats as they do the rest of the car:cautious:

18. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If your seated posture is incorrect, well, the Toyota seats might not work, 1% territory

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wait a second, is this cycledrum using an alias?:sneaky:

ftl likes this.
  20. Lisa Jean

Lisa Jean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard of Recaro seats being put into a Prius- anyone know about how those are? I'm a new Prius owner , seriously disappointed in the miserable driver's seat.