1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

POLL: Did the ECU Update Recall work for you?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by thbjr, Feb 11, 2010.

?
  1. I have experienced and was able to duplicate the brake issue before the ECU update, but no longer ca

15.0%
  2. I have experienced and was able to duplicate the brake issue before the ECU update, and still can.

5.6%
  3. I have experienced the brake issue before the ECU update (but couldn't intentionally duplicate), but

10.6%
  4. I have experienced the brake issue (but couldn't intentionally duplicate) both before and after the

3.8%
  5. I have had the ECU update done, but need more time to assess if it’s fixed the issue.

19.4%
  6. I did not experience the braking issue before or after the update.

26.9%
  7. I did not experience the braking issue and will not be updating anytime soon.

18.8%
  1. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Is the ECU update working

You know you can hit the brakes harder right?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I found it took these conditions:

1. speed under 19 mph - there is a change in control laws at this speed
    2. modest braking - harder and you stop nearly instantly
    3. bump - either a speed bump or an equivalent pot hole
    4. wet, slippery conditions - it didn't happen for me when dry
    After the SSC-A0B update, I can't replicate the problem:
    [​IMG]
    But this does nothing for your situation.

Let me suggest:

• document where it occurs - digital photo and exact address, if available. A Google URL would be great.
    • return to dealer and report problem - they can verify the version, which I understand from another posting is 106.
    • have them check the brake switch light - this plays a part in turning off the cruise control but it may play a role in the brake pause
    I have my accelerometers out on other projects. But assuming the service center applied the update, we can document the 'brake pause.' That does not mean we can fix it as much as we can provide engineering data showing a problem exists. Please be patient and keep alert on the brakes.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

They are doing construction on my street to change the gas lines, and created a good obstacle. A prius without the brake fix seems to have an incident 20% of the time (ok we tried it 10 times on saturday, and his prius had incidents 2), I've had the brake fix and driven over it at least 50 times and no problems. I can photograph it tomorrow if you would like. I have 17" after market wheels tires versus stock 15s, but it is at least some evidence that the fix works as advertised.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

It sounds like you're OK. I'm mostly interested in folks who went in for the update and continue to experience a braking symptom. The reasons:

1. Someone may have failed to apply the update - we've had one report where the second visit got it fixed.
    2. There may be another, undiagnosed problem - this is where metrics can help.
    Thanks for the offer,
    Bob Wilson

5. malachite

malachite New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    toyota seems to be handling the whole recall issue pretty efficiently, IMO.

6. ayawolf

ayawolf Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you - the information from this poll directly influenced me buying my first, new 2010 Prius IV. And thanks to all of those that responded!

7. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you're talking about the slip indicator light shown on pg 246 of the manual, mine comes on sometimes when I'm stopped as well. If you put it into park then back into D it goes away. I think it happens when I unintentionally press down a couple times quickly or maybe when I press hard. This light also came on before I had the reverse brake grab issue that one time, and I had been parked at a gas station to talk on the phone and finalize my plans so again, I know my foot was pushing on the brake at varying times with varying pressure so I'm sure that's why it turned on.

I've since become a bit more aware of what I'm doing with my foot while at a stop. It didn't make any difference in my '93 pickup. ;)

Hm... can't imagine that the hill assist would cause the reverse lurching. Would it?

Also, that light says it is the slip indicator. Aha. I see now in the manual under the Hill Assist on pg. 244 that "If the slip indicator comes on... It may be a malfunction in the system. Contact your Toyota dealer."

Guess I'll have them check it out when I get the recall done.

I never heard a buzz though, so I don't think I was in Hill Assist mode when it's happened to me.

8. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Actually, I will get an oil change and ECU update tomorrow. I feel no overwhelming need to get the update, but I suspect that should I ever be involved in an accident, the insurance company would use my failure to get the update as a reason to not pay for repairs.

I am also going to replace the air in the tires with, can't recall, hydrogen or nitrogen.

9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well I had mine done today. I had no issues before, so I cannot tell any difference.

EXCEPT - Now, on my HSI display, the display no longer has the "mpg" readout!
    What gives? That was one of my favorite bits of information.

I cycled through the various displays, and I detect no cjhange there.

Someone help! Is the "mpg" readout in the HSI display a feature that can be turned on and off?

Has the "mpg" display disappeared on anyone elses ECU update?

10. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There are two parts to the HSI display - the large graphics portion which cycles with the 'DISP' button on the steering wheel, and the odo/trip/MTE line along the bottom which cycles with the 'TRIP' button on the steering wheel. It sounds like they changed the bottom line display to one of the ones without MPG showing (ODO, MTE, or blank).

1 person likes this.
  11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I feel pretty foolish. Thank you for your tip. Actually, as I was driving, I noticed all trip info was gone as well. I had only toggled the "Display" button. When I toggled the "Trip" button, it all came back.

Thank you again.

Now, that having been cleared up .... it feels like car may "glide" ever so slightly easier. I do not know if it is not" regennin" as much, or if it is the ntrogenI had installed in the tires. My very early impression is my mpg numbers are significantly better. I am displaying well over 58 mpg now, and was not that high prior to the ECU upgrade and or the nitrogen in the tires. We shall see.

12. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I finally had some spare time today so I went to my local Toyota dealer (Bill Penny Toyota) and gave them my letter, and told them I needed the update done to the ABS ECU. I waited and waited... It took them about 3 and a half hours for my car to be completed. The holdup? Who knows... It was pretty busy so I can't blame them. It shouldn't have taken that long to hook up the computer though. Place was chaos. I'm glad I've got that taken care of, can't wait to go back for my 5K service.:rolleyes:

13. Red 2010

Red 2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We purchased our 2010 Prius in the first week of January. During the first week of March, we thought we take it in for the update. We haven't seen it since!

The car seemed to be working perfectly, but to make sure the warranty was kept up, we decided to take it in anyway. After about an hour connected to the computer the tech said he was getting a code for a bad steering angle sensor. A week later they replaced that then said they had code for a problem with the traction control system. They said they'd have to special order a special replacement for that; however, it was coming from Japan and a arrival date was unknown. So, the little red Prius as been at the dealership since the 4th of March.

My question is, have any of you folks had such difficulty?

Thank you for your time, suggestions, or input! I appreciate it!!

14. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    THanks ayawolf,
    I hope you enjoy your new Prius :welcome:
    Tom

PS. ...and enjoy it here on PriusChat

15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

16. Red 2010

Red 2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the dealer has been as nice as can be. Gave us a nice loaner right away. I really feel they've done their best, but they're being let down by Toyota, too! Still no idea when the replacement computer will arrive as of two days ago. We're hoping it will be at least as good as it was, if not better. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Really love the little car!

Dean

17. picturesmith

picturesmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have given Toyota the opportunity to take leadership in repairing my braking issues. The company has chosen to shirk its responsibility. I am not out for lawsuits or money. I want an equitable arrangement, meaning if I am paying monthly payments on my Toyota Prius, I want to drive a car without slipping brakes.

This my second Prius, by the way, and I am not sure if I will ever buy another Toyota car after this one.

Complaint Results: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)

picturesmith

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got my update done yesterday. Made sure the writer knew about using the external power source and they said they did. The dealer gave me a $30 coupon. Didn't notice much of a difference in the feel... still regens just fine.
    I am satisfied.

19. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Edited:

Okay, I see now that your link is not some random list of complaints but is your specific form.

I think it's the dealer that did not do the fix correctly in your case. You can see in this thread that most people have not felt anything since the fix. So Toyota has done its part regarding the fix. It's the dealer you have a problem with, so just go to Toyota of Hollywood for your next purchase. Haven't had mine serviced there yet but their internet sales guys were fantastic to deal with.

20. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has the recall fix worked for your Prius?

I plan to call my dealer tomorrow for the recall.
    I picked up my daughter from school Friday. While backing out of the parking space, the brakes started pulsating uncontrollably. My daughter told me "stop doing that dad!" I told her that I wasn't doing anything.
    I hope the recall fix takes care of braking while going in reverse.