1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: Do you have an engineering degree or training?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DieselConvert, Apr 29, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Electrical Engineering/Computer Science

Lots of time spent in reliability of rechargeable batteries and automotive.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah. I have a BS in Cell and Molecular Biology as well. Otherwise I wouldn't qualify for the PhD training... goes without saying.

We have plenty of well educated people here though, whew! Doctors, engineers, mechanics, research scientists, teachers, computer people, and many more. Guess we're a diverse group aren't we?

3. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I Are An Engineer

4. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Not really. Took nuclear physics with Phillip Morrison who has just died, worked as a clockmaker for 10 years, went to Brooklyn Tech which gave marvellous shop training, worked at Cold Spring Harbor and ended up as a Gynecologist. I admire both what Toyota has engineered into the Prius and what evolution has wired into humans.

5. gaulfinger

gaulfinger New Member

Ah-hem. That's "I IS an engineer" :)

Mech E by degree, though I design backup/recovery infrastructure as a career.

Gary

6. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    BS in Mechanical
    MS in Aerospace

My job is to determine and improve the fuel mileage of large commercial aircraft. It's kind of fun to see all the methods employed here to attempt to improve automotive fuel mileage. :wink:

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ammiels, what did you do at cshl? that place has a pretty impressive reputation.

8. ammiels

ammiels New Member

Was there 1949-50 working for Miloslav Demerec for Carnegie Inst of Wash Dep't of Genetics. Mainly with E.Coli inducing mutations w various measures incl Ultra Violet, open beam x-ray, chemical etc and testing w antibiotic resistance, fermentations. Was @CSH for their Anthropology Symposium. Was up to my armpits with Nobel Laureates. Ah those were the yeasty days!
    My brother dared me to take the just developed New York State Scholarship exam for study in Medicine. I won the $5 bet. When I told my colleagues that I was leaving for Med School they asked "how can you leave pure science and prostitute yourself in medicine?"

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow... i am seriously impressed! i consider getting in at duke to be an accomplishment but cshl is something else completely! back in those days research was a lot less automated and i imagine much harder as well. the technology has fortunately made some major leaps and bounds through the years.

i agree with your former colleagues. how could you leave research? i couldn't do anything else, ever. although medicine is quite the lucrative profession.

anyway, i just knocked the topic wayyyy off course. sorry everyone.

10. Russ Yost

Russ Yost New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a BS in Physics, then went for a PhD in Physics at CalTech, but it was stopped (after passing all the required courses) by WWII, when I went to work at an NDRC lab on airborne submarine magnetic detection. Lots of electronics design and environmental testing there and eventually I ended up at Airborne Instruments Lab in countermeasures (jammers, etc), then in '52 I joined Motorola in Phoenix in electrical engineering and became one of several "chief engineers" I in Radar Systems. So, I became a professional Elec Engineer. Along the way I took courses in circuit analysis and lots of Math at Cal Tech. I get a kick out of designs that achieve some goal while optimizing efficiency, so the Prius gives me a real thrill!

11. rwlade

rwlade Dr. Bob

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BS and MS in Electrical Engineering Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI)
    Ph.D. Electrical Engineering Carengie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA)

Solid State Electronics and Integrated Circuit design. Now a lowly webmaster <g>

12. Lora

Lora New Member

First new car: Prius
    First real Job: Art Teacher

(still waiting on the Pri)

13. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Am I the only dentist here? I got a DMD degree but have retired from the profession. As many of you know, I now run my own business and one of them is automotive related.

14. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, 1982

Been working in the Semiconductor Industry (building and operating wafer fabs) for 22 years. Now doing sustainable development for the company - http://www.rmi.org/sitepages/pid1136.php

Designed my own energy efficient house ( http://www.enerjazz.com/house ) and I'm happy to have a Prius to put in the garage!

15. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    BS in Electro-Mechanical Engineering at Wentworth in Boston (wit.edu). It's only one degree, but it has the work of two behind it.

Worked for a few years at iRobot (they make Roomba) on the Roomba and Swarm projects.

Now working as a Sustaining Elecrical Engineer at a company that make ultra-high pressure water pumps and waterjet cutting machines. (60000 psi).

16. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

:p :p I am an engineer. I just retired with 26 years working at Southern Pacific .Driving freight trains and driving my 2005 Seaside Pearl is very similar. :) 8)

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

BS in Computer Science (Univ. of Washington)
    BA in Mathematics (Reed College)

My title is Staff Software Engineer; but a better description is Senior E.C.M. (Evil Corporate Minion).

18. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:clap: Terrific! I find freight trains fascinating. Delighted to find a train engineer on PriusChat!

I admit there have been drivers on I-5 that have made me wish I was driving a freight train! :D

19. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does "Certificated Flight Instructor" count as engineering training? We can get pretty geeky.
    Bob

20. PeeDeePrius

PeeDeePrius Junior Member

EE/CS type here-retired. I do a morning radio show now.

Triva quiz time. Anybody know what Hedy Lamarr's contribution to communications was? :crazyeyes:

200 miles so far. 45 mpg indicated.

Sweet ride. More on the experience in a separate post.