1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

poll do you use your parking brake?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priussoris, May 15, 2007.

1. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

Every time without fail.

2. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

I use it always on all cars. It's just part of my "shutting her down and securing things" ritual.

My wife never uses it and it drives me crazy, but I've decided it is one of the things that isn't worth bugging her about. :p

3. warcat507

warcat507 Junior Member

I only use it on inclines -- meaning here in the Texas Panhandle, it doesn' see much action.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Everytime I park except in my garage. But I hate that pedal thing - wish it had at least a hand-release. I have a feeling my post-surgery knee isn't going to like getting in position to release that parking brake. :eek:

5. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(robincx @ May 16 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]442862[/snapback]</div>
    No, hense the term other parking brake.

I only use it on an incline. I'd like to think that the movement that is possible when the "P" button is pressed means there might be less damage if someone hits my car during parking.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 15 2007, 04:02 PM) [snapback]442809[/snapback]</div>
    I hardly every use the parking brake. What do you mean by emergency? Regular brakes activated and pushing hard on the parking brake at the same time?

Dave M.

7. Trendy2

Trendy2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Only on a steep incline. I've only used it once in a McDonald's parking lot where I just thought it looked too steep so I went ahead and engaged it. I just know I'm going to forget it's engaged if I do it more often even though 'BRAKE' is lit up on the dash.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ May 16 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]443250[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's why I don't use it (nothing wrong with my knees, it's just annoying). Back when I had hand brakes (which is to say, just about every car I've ever had), I'd use them 100% of the time.

9. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Only on a slope, not on the level.

10. stevelawrence

stevelawrence Junior Member

Never.

Not once. The wife on the other hand, likes to use it, so I have to remember to check it if she's been in it.

Her car... got driven ~6 miles one evening by her sister... With the parking break on. :(

S.

11. Solar Hydro

Solar Hydro New Member

I have used it only once in the 18 months that I have my Prius (can't see the point, given that presumably 'P' locks the transmission), and upon my return I forgot to disengage it, and drove around with it on for several minutes before realizing...

This is my first car with a foot brake, my previous cars had a handbrake and were manual transmission.

Can anyone articulate a reasoning as to why we should use the parking brake?

Solar Hydro

12. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 16 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]443322[/snapback]</div>
    Well when I started to drive 30 yrs ago we called the parking brake either or
    meaning emergency brake or parking brake was the name of the beast it was the same thing only called by park brake or emgcy brake

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Solar Hydro @ May 16 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]443607[/snapback]</div>
    As Galaxee stated it does adjust the rear drum brakes when used, so I use mine about once a week

13. tnymntna

tnymntna New Member

I ALWAYS use my parking brake when parking!

14. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnymntna @ May 16 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]443680[/snapback]</div>

When I learned to drive it was an emergency brake - for when the car either slips out of park, or gets hit while in park. Anyone remember practicing a hill start? If the car rolled back during the exam you flunked. If someone can drive 30 miles with the emergency brake engaged it is not working and needs to be adjusted. Yes I do use it ALL the time. DH says not to in the winter but I have not had it freeze yet. It should be applied before you put the car in park with your foot on the brake so as to take the pressure off of the transmission I was told years ago. God am I that old already?

15. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 15 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]442813[/snapback]</div>
    Always. I don't see why not use it. I don't see any danger in having it engaged.

16. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What's a parking brake?

Just kidding, but I have never had an occasion to use mine. Now if I was parking on a steep incline, I would do so, but everywhere I park is flat and I feel no need to use it.

I guess that makes me an idiot.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In previous MT cars, always. In the Prius, not too often, since the
    parking pawl is reliable and *quite* robust. Well, more often when
    I'm trying to break the back end loose and do donuts in snowy parking
    lots, but that's not really parking.
    Don't these rear brakes self-adjust on any actuation, not just from
    using the parking brake? The pistons and the parking brake cam act
    on the same end of the shoes, and I think the lever moves in either
    case. If not, I have to go correct my brake page, or just go out and
    take the damn thing apart for a looksee myself...
    _H*

18. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Incline=YES
    No incline=NO

SoCali here, so hills are common.

19. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, always - really miss the hand brake though :(
    Don't know if that center console is really worth it!

20. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 15 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]442908[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting comment on cold/freezing weather. I have not had an emergency brake freeze in about 15 years.
    If it has never happened to you it is a real pain. I remember crawling under the car with a hammer to beat the ice off, not fun in 15 degree weather. I wonder if the brake cables are more protected now than they were back then, as I don't think this is a serious problem anymore.

I allways use it on inclines and sometimes on level areas.

The brake is called a parking brake by some and an emergency brake by others I wonder if anyone actually has used it as an emergency brake. With the dual brake systems a total brake failure would be very rare.