1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

POLL: Does sound dampening and foam make a difference?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tildenm, Jul 8, 2010.

1. tildenm

tildenm New Member

Hi all,
    I love my 2005 Prius, it is the best car I have owned it second in noise only to my 1969 Volkswagen Bus. (The quietest I owned was a 2000 Toyota Camry.) I bought the quietest tires out there, and while they did make a difference it is still like listening to an empty radio station at full blast (ok, I exaggerate, but just a little). I have been giving a lot of thought to sound dampening and foam, I have read all the threads, and I am still confused as to whether or not it will make difference. What say you, dampening worth it?
    Tilden

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course it makes a difference as long as you find where the rattle is from.

3. tildenm

tildenm New Member

No rattle, it is just generic road noise.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have not used it, but i'll be interested to see the poll results. i wonder if many have tho. one i read said it added a lot of weight and dropped mpg but sound was much better with decible meter. not sure i'm willing to give up mpg for quietness unless i was taking a lot of long trips. thats what our hycam is for, quiet as a mouse!:)

5. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, sound deadening material does make a difference and lower the road noise level in a vehicle. I have installed 2 bulk packs of Dynamat which cover essentially every interior surface except for my roof. You don't want to mess with your headliner pretty much ever and not much noise comes in from the roof anyway, lol.

The first pack did my doors and the major areas of the floor and this lowered the noise level the most. The second pack finished off the floor, trunk and battery area and did lower the sound more but whether it was worth it or not is for a particular owner to decide. I would say yes but then again I drive A TON so noise level is very important to me.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/82173-200k-miles-one-prius-one-owner.html

I also sprayed my wheel wells with GMuff sound deadening spray and this helps at first but seems to get worn off easy from dust, dirt, sand, water, etc... Plus you need to let the stuff sit up and harden for 24 hours before driving or else it comes off instantly. I did this at a buddy's shop here. Kinda funny seeing a Prius on a lift next to an 800 HP Cup car, LOL.

I will say the biggest issue with road noise is the actual road itself. Some roads I have driven are incredibly loud compared to others and no matter what tires or sound deadening you have done will always be loud. I talk about this some in my 200K thread as well.

Anyway, it does make a difference and I will be putting Dynamat in my next Prius, or having Freeman's do it I should say, whenever I do finally get rid of Ema. Of course that could be another 8-10 years.

Happy driving,
    Chris

1 person likes this.