1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll for your reaction of the Gen 4 - so far.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by DeanFL, Sep 9, 2015.

?
  1. Extremely Pleased

6.1%
  2. Pleased

28.2%
  3. Neutral so far

27.8%
  4. Not pleased

22.9%
  5. Very Displeased

15.1%
  1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL

Interior looks even cheaper and scattered than gen 3. And they kept the pointless shift knob. I really hope this doesn't sell well because this car is offensive to look at - really don't want to look at these when I'm driving. Hopefully Hyundai's new hybrid will be better looking and more interesting. Toyota dun keeled the pree-us.

daisy555 likes this.
  2. WNav

WNav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not a big fan of the front bumper. Honestly it took awhile for me to get used to the Gen 3, but I like it now as I have two(Silver and White 2011). The bumper is too busy. Too much going on. The Lexus style, I love. Its simple yet stylish. They should have gone towards that look.
    The taillights are too much also. Way too big and unnecessary IMO.

NickInNJ likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the photos in this thread - 2016 PRIUS | PriusChat
    I am pleased with what I see on exterior but neutral on interior at this point.
    I look at the overall sillhouette of the 4th gen car and it looks more aggressive and more sleek than any prior generation of Prius or the other c, v models.

I say the 3rd gen liftback Prius is more 'stubby' looking while the 4th gen appears longer and lower. I think the biggest weakness in 4th gen look is the indentation (and 2nd crease line?) by the taillight, but perhaps it serves an aerodynamic purpose so no problem really.

I am so-so with the interior at this point. I won't know how the seats are until sitting in it, but my guess is I will find myself too tall to be comfortable enough for my taste in it.
    Wow did they reduce the glove box size. That's not good.
    It looks like they went easy on the steering wheel inner rim bumps which is good. Large bumps on camrys just get in way of my fingers.

Not pleased to see what appears a small left dead pedal. Is this a place for a tiny foot to rest or my size 12 shoes? Car brands that have a reputation for DELIVERING enhanced driving dynamics (BMW, VW, some Hondas, Mazda, Subaru, ....) offer generously sized left dead pedals.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the interior looks interesting. i like the dash layout, the wide center armrest, and the possibility of modding the upholder area.

5. -Ross-

-Ross- Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

Yeah. Okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deanstevenson and ftl like this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm neutral at this point because of the interior and lack of technical specs.
    I like the exterior overall. Reminds me of how Toyota make the new Corolla sharper and current looking. The Prius isn't coming from a plain, basic sedan shape, but the design needs more than 'It's a Prius' in order to catch the eye of potential new owners.
    I was not a fan of the flying bridge, so it gone is a plus, but I'm also not a fan of central instrument displays. I never had drive modes in the gen2, but can see how some would feel that having a separate power button would be better. I'd say have it as a small paddle on the steering wheel. It appears to have less cubby storage in the front than the front.
    Black interior with low lighting just isn't the best way of viewing it though to make a decent judgement.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are not kidding! very interesting interior indeed!
    The base of the steering wheel is also white, fine bone china! will be the only color available?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, thats an upgrade with the console.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Absolutely useless. It doesn't support what I suspect is going to be the wireless charging standard in the future (Rezence), it will only charge one phone, not two, it takes up a lot of space and very few devices support this. I'd probably put a trash bin on top of it if I bought one.

10. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    55 mpg has me underwhelmed. I was expecting 60.

NickInNJ likes this.
  11. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    until you look closely. Same cheap nice person plastic. And look at that gap.

[​IMG]

NickInNJ and djasonw like this.
  12. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Ho Hum so far. We already knew what the car looked like on the outside. Since all the reveal showed was the outside it was a non-event.

I like the looks but I wouldn't care if it looked like a Gen I. The outside looks aren't that important to me - as long as they aren't truly ugly. My wife doesn't like the Gen IV looks.

The console is horrid but I can live with it. I hope I can order the car without the white accents on the steering wheel and console. I can even live with that but I think over time the white won't wear well.

I really need to know if the car will have a spare tire. That is a deal breaker for me.

I am so disappointed in Toyota for putting this grand show together, then leaving out ALL of the important information.

Someone mentioned a step between the cargo space and the folded down rear seats. Does someone have a link to that photo?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. stpeterick

stpeterick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The step down transition from bumper to cargo area means that I could no longer slide in/out my heavy roll-around and additional audit bag. A bummer!

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone mentioned spare tyre included, but not for 17" wheels.

16. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. Now I see the step. If that increases the cargo space behind the seats I'm all for it - as long as it doesn't eliminate the donut spare tire. No spare = no sale for me.

17. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    From the two images it looks as though the lines of sight past the front pillars are greatly improved which is a huge plus.

On the other hand:
    • the 2016 instrument panel looks like Darth Vader and I really don't want to spend time looking at that
    • the huge white blob on the steering wheel looks like a problem, for glare, for grip, and for visual obstruction on curves of any GPS or Scangage placed behind the wheel.
    • The passenger side trim looks as though its meant to destroy the knees of tall passengers

18. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curios to see the final results of this poll.

The Prius has been styled for the 2 markets that buys most of Prius production: USA & Japan. Not for Europe for sure, where Prius never sold other than few cars and the France for-EU-designed AURIS HSD have instead a very good sales succes, even unforeseen by Toyota (together with the EU designed Yaris HSD, no Prius c or Aqua over there..)
    So, is not strange that EU reactions to the style, as for gen II & III, is drammatically negative.

Now, i'm trying to understand if the gen IV is bound to have the same gen III sales in USA, quite succesful i see.
    Or if the majority of US crowd will show some disappointement through low sales.... what you predict?

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OMG, I can't unsee that now!

Red15Persona, HTMLSpinnr and jdonalds like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if washout on the mfd is reduced by lowering it? looking at ross's post #27, looks like a better location. can we get a hoodie on it?