1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: How long do you go between synthetic oil changes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Oct 7, 2009.

?
  1. I Change my synthetic every 3000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I Change my synthetic every 5000 miles

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. I Change my synthetic every 7500 miles

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. I Change my synthetic every 10000 miles

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  5. I Change my synthetic every 15000 miles

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. I Change my synthetic every 20000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I Change my synthetic every 25000 miles

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i probably go for once a year. should be around 10-15,000 miles. just about to do first change here in next few weeks. i have the dealer do it.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The 0W20W is rated for 25K.... thats plenty for me.

I think I would rather stay with the recommended viscosity if possible.

Using the SSO 0w30w is rated at 35K.... humm... thats an awful lot of miles to drive with a viscosity rated 10 points higher than recommended.

I don't think I need the extra 10K mile rating as a tradeoff.

I know many feel 0w30W is fine, but personally I don't see the benefit unless there is absolutely "no" negative repercussions from using a viscosity rated so much higher.

Are all the oil guru's comfortable with going that high of a viscosity for that many miles?......

Is there enough knowledge out here to "override" the manufacturers recommendation?

I personally am nervous about trying to use "any" filter that long with a thicker oil than rated... it could cause filtering to diminish once the filter starts to get dirty and plugged.... in which case a thinner oil would fare better.

But I suppose if you were using it in a car rated for 30W, it would be the same issue.

3. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think the EAO filter for the 2001-2009 is only rated for 25k miles, i have to check

that being said, i don't drive 35k/year ... so the oil wouldn't stay in for 35k

also, toyo is not the only manufacturer that has specced oil down to 20 weight from 30 weight ... and again, that is to bring the fleet mileage down

i have a Ford SUV with a V8 also specced at 5W30, but the newer models are specced at 5W20

30 weight is not too heavy a viscosity for a 20 weight motor, particularly the Prius

4. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

found the filter at wal mart tonight, so in addition to toyo and purolator, there is a fram filter, and a walmart filter

also spoke to amsoil and checked the BITOG site, and there is a great deal of consensus about using the Amsoil SS0 0W30 in the 2010 Prius

it's a light 30 weight, and the SSO 0W30 is a superior oil :thumb:

5. brianric

brianric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know this is going to sound stupid but why are you concerned about using 0w30W when you are going 25,000 miles/oil change, which is also outside the recommended range.

6. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

interesting question ... tho i'd be asking what is the "tradeoff" you speak of?

i don't see any trade off

the 0W30 is just a better oil, you can change it any interval you'd like

if you want to stick to the recommended OCI, then there are cheaper oils to be had ... altho they're more likely in the 5W20 rather than 0W20 ranger

there are no negative repercussions ... and its not significantly thicker :thumb:

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Its just my comfort zone.... It makes sense oil can last that long when you drive in a clean climate and the oil is rated so.. based on that alone, I'm not violating any common sense.
    But thats a long time and allot of miles to "also" go with that much a higher viscosity.

If I really needed the 35K, I may consider it, but I have no motivation to play double jeopardy.

8. lplate

lplate New Member

I've used AMSOIL 0-20 and AMSOIL filter along with ZMAX since day one. Change once a year - 15,000mi - and even then it looks darn clean. If I was going farther I might change the filter ($8) instead of the oil.

9. datrays

datrays New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does AMSOIL make an oil filter for the 2010? I tried to go through their site but couldn't find anything.

10. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is a wix cartridge filter, but no AMSOIL EAO Efficiency filter ... yet

1 person likes this.
  11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I *try* for once a year. And after I put if off so often, it usually becomes 18 months or more. :) The fact is, I'm just not a fan of changing oil. Spoiled by the EV, of course. 75,000 miles with no oil changes and hey... no gas fill-ups either!

But I digress...

In my previous life, I put serious miles on my cars. My last two cars (before EVs and hybrids took over my garage) had 250,000 and 340,000 miles on them respectively. The 340,000 mile car, I sold for more than I paid for it at 50,000 miles, and the 250,000 mile car, I still got about half of what I paid for it new. Why? Because they both looked and ran perfectly. Was it because I changed the oil at the mfg's specified interals? Nope.

The owner of the 340,000 mile car now has 525,000 miles. Original engine. Never been rebuilt. And I only started running synthetic in that engine at 200,000 miles! I went from changing at 8,000 mile intervals to 15,000 mile intervals when I switched to synthetic.

Anyway... everybody's mileage will be different. Me, I don't sweat the oil changes. I have NEVER had an issue with an engine that could be traced to an oil problem.

I won't even tell you about a buddy who NEVER changed his oil in the 95,000 miles that he owned his VW Super Beatle. The thing leaked so much oil, he just kept topping it off, and figured it was self-changing. :sigh:

So... did I mention that EVs have no crankcase oil? Yeah... I probably did.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know about Amsoil filters, but I plan on using these for a box of 10.

If you order, don't forget these.

Most filters I've ever dealt with only tend to filter better as more particles accumulate on the surfaces although the flow diminishes... I"m still paranoid about starting with a filter that claims holes so tiny that once accumulation builds up, it may not filter much at all?.... maybe I'm wrong, but I see nothing wrong with many of the other ones.

If you can't get flow thorough a filter, either you won't get filtration, or it will burst from the excess pressure. Whether thats even an issue for these types of filters, I don't know.

These filters are advertised as "Genuine Toyota Cartridge Oil Filter".

1 person likes this.