1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: How many Gen 3 II Having Steering Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by co_prius_3, Aug 11, 2012.

?
  1. Never

75.0%
  2. Noticed it once or twice then never again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Once or twice a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Once or twice a week

6.3%
  5. Every time I drive

18.8%
  1. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm curious how many Gen 3 Prius II owners are having the same steering issue that I've been having. It's an occasional bumping/clunking or loose feeling when steering hard at low speeds. I've had the dealer look at it twice without their claiming to reproduce it. Part of the problem is finding the right words to describe it. It's more of a feeling in the steering wheel than a sound. Sometimes I feel it when turning into/out of a parking lot from/to the street. I'm not sure if it is just a normal characteristic of the electric power steering, or a defect in the power steering motor, coupling, or rack and pinion.

This poll is primarily for Gen 3 Prius II (2010+). I've read that the higher model numbers have an improved steering column which may be more immune to this problem. I would prefer if model III or higher respond to the thread, not the poll, if you've had similar problems.

2. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have this happen...I think there are some older threads about it. It normally happens on the first wheel rotation after the car has been sitting for any considerable amount of time. The "clunk" is the right word to describe it.