1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll on "Tire Repair Kit"

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dorunron, Jan 24, 2016.

?
  1. Not purchase that model but opt for a 2 or a 3 model

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Buy a spare on your own along with a jack and lug wrench

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Ignore it all together and buy the model I want regardless if it comes with a spare or not

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Purchase a alternative brand altogether leaving the Toyota brand behind you

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Purchase a plug kit and carry it along with a electric air pump rather than use the tire repair kit

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Buy the vehicle I want and take other actions as needed that are not reflected by this poll

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Choose other options that are available that this poll does not list

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Comparing Corvette/Tesla to Prius owners...now that's funny...I don't care who you are. Manufactures are deleting spares to save space/cost...and allowed/justified buy owners that don't want to get dirty. Everything else is just blah...blah...blah.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But that's all I got. :ROFLMAO:

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. Fly Boy 5

Fly Boy 5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't like it at all. I would have bought a Honda Accord but they were first to eliminate the spare. It provides more room but it's not even with the opening like my 2010.

5. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tile guy got a roofing nail in his trailer tire and broke two pluger tools trying to plug it. :(Spare is better.

Yep the jack and lug wrench are worthless as I had to use one.:( But the spare is not worthless.:ROFLMAO:

frodoz737 likes this.
  6. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm just gonna go Craigslist and get corolla 2015 donut wheel. Saw a brand new one for $75 I think it should fit ?

LG-H901 ?

dfine1966 and ETP like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it was the low end plug repair kit?

I'll be the first to admit I went overboard, got the Blackjack plug repair kit, but hey, set for life. For me it's not either or, ie: plug-repair or temp spare. I want (and have) both. Our last flat was one of the snow tires, in a Costco parking lot (they weren't Costco tires), about 10 km from home. It was a bit below freezing. I put on the spare, we drove home, and then plug repaired the tire indoors, nice and warm, then reinstalled in my garage using floor jack.

ETP likes this.
  8. midwesterner

midwesterner New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was perhaps one of the only down-sides with my 2016 Prius Two Eco model. I get the idea that cutting weight improves mileage, but then shouldn't they also have skipped the jack and lug wrench? They are worthless without a spare anyway.

I had to use the repair kit for the first time yesterday. Slow leak after parking for 6 days at the airport lot made the TPMS alert me. About 20 psi, so I tried filling at station, but it was not going to go any higher no matter how long I spent trying to fill it with air. So I bit the bullet and got out this kit.

It took some time, but I was able to get it filled to mid-30's psi (rear tire is supposedoing to be at 36).

Now the trouble is I am supposed to stick below 50 MPH on this until I can get to a dealer and fix it right. On a Fri. night, with plans on Sat. that included a lot of miles and a very tight schedule, that meant cancelling things and changing plans around to get to a dealer 60 miles out of the way on Sat. afternoon... and to completely violate the 50 MPH rule on this tire.

The dealer is currently working on it, but doesn't have a spare bottle for the patch kit, so I could have more easily gone to any tire repair shop. The speed limitation and lack of availability of replacement for spare kit really make me anxious.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, I decided to just carry two "truck spare tire in a can". It has always got me somewhere to do the deed.

RCO likes this.
  10. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, you'd think so. My wife JUST called and is stranded on I-95 outside of DC. She was on a local run and her tire is shreaded. SO:

- No SPARE
    - Fix Flat is useless
    - Tow truck is coming but she is 50 miles away from home
    - They will have to tow her to a PepBoys to get some sort of over priced crap tire
    - THEN we will have to buy a new set of good tires and have that crap tire in the garage.

All because Toyota (and most other manufacturers) are trying to make MPG numbers look good. It is insane that we are going through this to save such a small amount. I'm seriously thinking of buying a full size "normal" car next time. It is just not worth it to put yourself at risk for such a small gain. Any savings in gas will now be wiped out by the cost of an emergency repair plust the purchase of a crap tire just to get her home. This is seriously insane. Granted this problem does not happen often but it it did just now... in D.C, 50 miles from home, in a snow storm, on a Friday night with most things closed. The wait for the tow truck is over two hours. THEN there is the time to tow the car and mount a tire.

Like many of the rest of you, it never crossed my mind that I was not getting a spare. Either that or I could not get a spare PLUS the options I wanted. I mean, what has a spare tire to do with a good radio or nav system? Toyota has really lost it on this one. This is my second Prius and overall I was happy. HOWEVER, my 2006 had a simultaneous engine and traction battery failure and the repair bill was going to be over $10,000. AND, the engine would have come from a junk yard and have a short warranty and the traction battery would be for a the newer models and take a chasis modifaition to fit. I love the good milage but I'm starting to seriously think that I need to move away from Toyota.

I'm not sure what I'll do next. Most cars have serious drawbacks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those cans only work if there is a PUNCTURE. My wife has a three inch rip in the tire. There is nothing in a can that will fix that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. mike091020

mike091020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not just about getting dirty. My wife is sitting on the highway now waiting for the tow tuck. If she HAD a spare the emergency service could have mounted it for her. Now she has to be towed to someplace that is open late at night that sells tires. This is a seriously screwed up choice on the part of Toyota. Until there is something like a standard tire and wheel on ALL cars so that emergency trucks can carry them ... the cars NEED to come with spares. All of that blah...blah... is from Toyota that does not know how to put a spare tire and a good radio in the same car. No other word fot this than STUPID. A can of Fix Flat does to solve the problem of a blow out that destroyes the tire!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing will fix this, fast: don't buy cars without a temp spare. Nothing else will get through to the manufacturers.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...but there in lies the problem. Most folks can't or won't swap a spare.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But as mike said just above: having a spare gives the tow truck driver or Good Samaritan a simple option.

frodoz737 likes this.
  16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you. ;) I do not now and never will condone a spare being deleted from any car or lt truck my Wife or I drive...and 100% positive I taught my grown Son the same. We all know this is the manufactures way to save money and space, feeding off and/or programming a public that has become increasingly more incapable or unwilling to handle things themselves.

#96 frodoz737, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The trouble is - you find your dream car - and it hasn't got a spare. What do you do? Buy your nightmare car - or the dream car without a spare?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If not included...get a spare and put it in the vehicle yourself.

19. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm - a PORSCHE Cayman doesn't have room. They used to have a spare tyre in the Boxster, and a bag to put the dead tyre in on the front passenger's seat - because it wouldn't fit in the spare tyre space. And - 2 different size tyres on the car too.

OK - so that's not a serious dream car - but the MIATA is on my list. Just have to come to grips around it only having 2 seats - and will that be too big an inconvenience.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will correct myself on one of our vehicles...but I consider it more a custom toy. ;)

Cimbria_ss_$_1.jpg
    CIMBRIASS0080.jpg CIMBRIASS0081.jpg CIMBRIASS0084.jpg

tucatz, Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.