1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll on Toyo Nanoenergy Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dorunron, Sep 3, 2016.

?
  1. Treadwear 300 - Do you think these tires will last a long time?

11.1%
  2. Treadwear 300 - Do you think these tires will wear out quickly?

33.3%
  3. Are the tires quiet?

33.3%
  4. Are the tires noisy?

22.2%
  5. Are you going to change these tires for a different tire before they wear out?

11.1%
  6. Are you going to let these tires run the course, and then decide later on replace with new Toyos?

77.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking for input from Gen IV buyers who have these tires on their Prius. The Toyo Nanoenergy are found on Gen IV Model Three 2016 Prius being sold in the United States of America. They are being supplied in the 15" size and are considered to be "Original Equipment"

Toyo's NanoEnergy Tire Is OE on Prius - Suppliers - Modern Tire Dealer

Nano Balance Technology : Materials Design Platform Technology - R&D / TECHNOLOGY - Toyo Tire & Rubber Co., Ltd.

They have a treadwear mark of 300 on them.

I am looking for feedback from those of you who bought the new Gen IV Prius that have these tires.

If you have additional comments that the poll does not cover, please post them in this thread.

I am considering purchasing a new 2016 Model Three and would like to know what other's think of these tires.

Thanks for all info shared and responses to this poll. The poll will be open for 30 days to allow time for plenty of responses.

#1 dorunron, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I was shopping for a new 2016 Gen4 Prius in February, I saw 4 different brands of tires on the non-touring models with 15" tires. (Two, Two Eco, and Three.)

Toyo
    Dunlop
    Bridgestone
    Yokohama

The white Prius I bought just happen to have Toyo. I would say it's an "adequate", average handling tire, but certainly not superb in any way. I have not yet driven in wet weather, but the dry handling is fine in conservative driving. I find that the car steers a little better since I bumped up the tire pressure to 40; but it also rides a bit stiffer/rougher. I'm guessing the OEM Toyo's will last for about 25,000 miles.

Noise is "subjective", as they say. Is the Toyo tire unusually noisy? Or is the Prius just lacking sound insulation in certain areas? And is it "tire noise", or just overall "cabin noise" and road noise in general? I still can't figure it out! I suspect it's a combination of all three... and the noise varies greatly, depending on the pavement surface.

I'll just keep driving on the Toyo's for whatever lifespan they have (3 or 4 years?) and then start research on a new tire. One thing good about the 15" tires, is they are very reasonably priced.

3. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got the Toyos on my Two Eco. 20,000 miles (almost all highway) on them so far, I keep them slightly overinflated (41 psi up front, 39 in back), and I rotate them every 5000 miles. They're all still at 8-9 mm tread depth, so I'd anticipate them lasting somewhere around 40K miles, unless the rate of wear changes.

They could be quieter, but they're not the loudest tires I've driven on...noise depends more on the road surface than anything else.

They're staying on the car until they wear out, and then I'll figure out what to replace them with.

4. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have them. I have no idea on how long they'll last. From previous experience with new car tires, I expect to get twenty to thirty thousand miles out of them. I might be surprised. I typically get new tires when they show wear or show signs of age on the sidewall. I never wait until they are worn out. No spare tire on this car, right? Even more reason to not skimp on this.

Are they quiet? No. But I think that is more a function of the way the Prius is put together. The sound deadening is on the light side. If I can hear the car next to me I don't think there is anything I can do with my tires to improve the noise.

My front tires had 2.5 pounds pressure over recommended values (as shown on the door jam) when the car was delivered. I went with that and balanced my pressure at 38.5 in the front and 37.5 pounds in the rear. I'll drive it for a while and then lower the pressure to the recommended values to see what the differences are. I'm getting crazy good mileage right now and I'm willing to put up with the noise had stiffness on short trips.

5. HVAC

HVAC Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drove though some heavy rain and was happy with the tires. Never had the tires slip or felt loss of control. I will try hard braking and accelerating next time it rains and report back.

Coast Cruiser and RCO like this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. And you nice folks up in Seattle sure know about rain! :)

RCO and HVAC like this.
  7. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got 3k on mine and all I can say is they're not horrible. I'm getting in the low 60's with mixed driving. Let's see how they do in winter. I'm a fan of Bridgestone Ecopias. Quietest smoothest tires there are, at least on a gen 2.

krmcg likes this.
  8. HVAC

HVAC Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Costco sell those EP422 and I have read the features and seems like a good one. I wont need new tires for 3 years probably.

9. Bash4

Bash4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have these tires on my 2017 Prius 4. They are adequate tires. Very good mpgs and not to noisy. Wet and snow traction is not great but not terrible either. I have 40,000 miles on mine and I will get about ten thousand more out of them. Will probably purchase these again unless something else is a lot cheaper such as General AltiMax RT43. I had these on my 2010 prius and they performed very well.

krmcg likes this.
  10. OkaneOshima

OkaneOshima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've got Toyo NanoEnergy A29s on a 2019 Prime that are OEM. They're sitting at about 81000 km (about 50000 mi) of use with very little tread left on all 4. Only 2 tire rotations in tire lifecycle since the Prime's weight distribution is relatively symmetrical.