1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

POLL : what MPG are you getting in your gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Flying White Dutchman, Jul 8, 2009.

?
  1. 30-35

1.0%
  2. 35-40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 40-45

7.0%
  4. 45-50

29.6%
  5. 50-55

38.7%
  6. 55-60

19.1%
  7. 60-65

3.5%
  8. 65-70

0.5%
  9. 70-75

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 75-80

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 80- plus

0.5%
  12. not on this list

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MattsGen3

MattsGen3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Took delivery on 7/29/09, 2010 Prius II.

My average is in my sig. It is measured at the pump. Indicator in the car reads about 5pct higher, i.e. it shows 2 or 3 mpg more than actual

In any case I am very happy with the car and 52 mpg average:)

2. ecrider

ecrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also picked up my Prius III at the end of July. I drive 13 miles each way to work. A little over half of it is interstate highway (65-70 mph), the remainder is local 25-45 mph street driving.

I'm on my 3rd tank of gas and now averaging 50-51 mpg. That's up from the original mid-40s.

Hoping to climb a little higher, as I hone my hybrid driving skills. But hey...I bought it thinking if I got 45-50 mpg it would be so much better than waht I'd gotten with any other car I ever owned!

3. angelrob

angelrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just getting ready to pump my 3rd fill. My last pip started blinking a few miles from home tonight so I'll fill up on the way to work tomorrow (that way I can start a new "trip" when the car is warmed up. Since the way to work is slightly downhill, I hope to get better than 62 MPG displayed (my first trip on the ODO was to work on the Monday morning after I got it and I hit 61.6 at my parking spot!), until my return trip, but it will make me happy for a little while on a Monday morning :tea:
    I'm still using trip A as my tank meter, and leaving B as the "lifetime" monitor (mostly cause the lack of tenths on the ODO really irritates me). Once I get a few tanks, I'll start using the trip A to do individual trips and see how I do on different legs.

Robbin

4. s.Oliver

s.Oliver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the moment 55.1 MPG (US).
    I've voted 50 - 55 MPG.
    Originally my consumption is measured in liter per 100 kilometer.

[edit]
    Had to correct the distance between the receipt of the prius and the first tank stop.
    [/edit]

5. Spartane

Spartane Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Anne,

I've been on vacation and got back yesterday, so I just discovered your post.

I guess I poorly stated my first 5-minutes; I'm not actually looking at the 5-minute block display, but the actual instantaneous mileage that I'm getting (and I can see it moment by moment since I reset trip-A just before leaving). So the mileage typically starts off somewhere around 6.8 - 10L/100 km during the first 30 seconds or so of driving and then improves as I drive. I'd guess it's probably sitting at something like 4.5 - 5.5L/100 km by the end of the first five minutes. Normally, the battery is nearly full when I leave (typically 2 - 3 bars from the top), so there is plenty of charge available. I'm about 1 km away from the highway with two stop signs and then a light between my house and the highway. The motor is usually warm enough to turn off when I hit the (usually red) light, but sometimes I need to select EV mode to force it to turn off.
    Yeah, you're probably right about this; the battery failures I'm seeing on this board seem to be mostly from 5 - 9 year old cars that are typically driven in hot climates (e.g.) Florida, or perhaps in cars that are driven in mountainous areas -- and I don't fit into either of these profiles.

Incidentally, since I originally wrote this I've tried doing the commute in power mode, and I managed to get my best mileage from work to home (53 km) at 3.0L/100 km. I accelerated hard enough to regularly push the HSI bar past the end of the red PWR section on the far-right so that I could quickly glide with the motor off. Traffic was surging somewhere between 20 and 50 kph, so pulsing and gliding that day was fairly easy to do.

My measured average continues to be a fairly consistent 3.8L/100km or about 62 mpg US (e.g.) 38 litres of gas is needed to fill the tank with 1000 km driven.

6. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm at about 46.5 so far, according to the car. Still on my dealer-provided tank so can't run the numbers myself.
    My first hybrid so I'm hoping I do better as I get more used to it. I think part of the problem too may be that I have a fairly short commute, so I think a larger percentage of my driving is before the car has really warmed up.
    Maybe I need some tips....

7. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just a quick update, especially as I've found what a difference the A/C makes. The display is still about 5% optimistic as most others have reported, but mileage has climbed from 51 to 59 with the break-in and cooler weather.

Prius MPG SS.jpg

8. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cooler wx may be it. I came here to post that do to break in and my learning curve that mileage was steadily increasing, but some of it may be due to cooler wx too.

9. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody done a 700 mile tank in a GenIII yet? What thread was it posted in? Just doing some quick calculations and figuring I just might be able to make it on my second tank! Of course, I am guessing that my MFD is only 5% off. I'll probably chicken out at 650 though. I drove 605 miles on Dealer's fill.

10. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am a little confused by the trip meters on the Prius and today I managed to erase the one I had been hoping to use as the lifetime MPG (at least car-calculated MPG). Is there a way to display this info for the car's lifetime without keeping one of the trip meters for that?
    I was getting 48.4 when I accidentally erased that, but that included some 20 miles or so on the car before I got it, and 150 or so miles before I kind of figured out what I was doing. I got 53.9 on the commute to work today, so I'm hoping this is my more typical MPG now that I'm a bit more experienced at driving her.