1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

POLL: Which of these fuel-efficiency improvements do you expect to see in the Gen IV?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by breakfast, Jun 5, 2015.

?
  1. Automatic grill shutters

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. 40% or greater ICE thermal efficiency (as reported already)

26 vote(s)
    78.8%
  3. Direct Injection for the ICE

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. Anticipation of upcoming terrain through GPS integration

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Weight reduction of 15% or more

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Removal of spare tire to save weight or increase cargo space

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Increased battery capacity (whether NiMH, Lithium-ion, Lithium Polymer, or whatever)

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  8. Ability to plug-in to recharge (in other words, will a Gen IV plug-in be available at release?)

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  9. Decrease in warm-up cycle time of more than one minute (beating the Prius v warmup time)

17 vote(s)
    51.5%
  10. Other (please specify below)

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think we need to keep in mind that the specific wording of the question is "What Improvements Do You Expect To See?"

Not what improvements would you most like to see, or want the most.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, guilty.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you want to get picky the question was:
    What fuel efficiency improvements do you expect to see.

The Electric Me likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    • Automatic Grille Shutters
    Ford implements these in non-hybrids (mostly the SFE models). It's an easy thing to implement (thought they were gonna implement it for 3G). It improves highway mileage and decreases warm up time. Edit: The 2016 BMW 7 Series has active grille shutters
    • 40% thermal efficiency
    Already reported
    • Deletion of spare tyre
    We're seeing it in some vehicles. All the manufacturer does is offer it as a dealer-installed accessory (e.g. last generation Fit) for those that need it.
    • Upgraded battery
    It should be the next logic step. The question is what chemistry.
    • PHV
    I thought Toyota already said it will be launched 1 year after the 4G's launch?
    • Decrease in warm-up time by > 1 minute
    I was hesitant to check this at first. 1 minute is a long time and it already was decreased from 2G-->3G but I think it's doable, especially if the auto grille shutters are implemented.

As for those I didn't check

• Direct injection
    The Prius is designed to reduce emissions (hence the warm up cycle to warm up the engine and cat converters). Direct injection increases particulate emissions IIRC. (perhaps that's why Toyota uses direct/port injection). I'd rather see dual VVT-i (VVT in the exhaust part to help recycle exhaust gas with early closing)
    • weight reduction of > 15%
    Not gonna happen. The 39% reduction seen on the Range Rover is not your typical weight reduction value. Unless Toyota's best kept secret is all-aluminium body for the new Prius (and I know earlier reports have suggested they thought about it), the Prius will probably weigh the same for the base model or possibly lose just a few lbs (say 10-20lbs) due to lighter hybrid components (but if Toyota decides to add 10-20 lbs of sound insulation to make it quieter, I'm ok with that).
    • Terrain-mapped GPS for fuel efficient driving
    Toyota's maps don't even include footprint maps for most major cities (while Google maps already does) so having it make the leap to having terrain data embedded seems a stretch

5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be the first Toyota model with active grille shutters
    From looking at all the spy shots they probably saved weight with the smaller hatchback door, but the car didn't look any smaller. Even including getting rid of the spare I don't think they could get rid of 460 lbs. They'd have to make it a coupe (a real 2 door coupe with 2 seats not a fake one with just 2 doors) to get rid of that much weight. But I still voted for it because you can't underestimate the Toyota engineers.
    The one thing I didn't see, is increased structural rigidity with the TNGA might help with fuel efficiency.

6. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The new Prius should be an easy improvement over the last generation that came out in 2009. Engine, Direct Injection: weight reduction of 200 lbs, lithium battery (5 KWH) hybrid version (12 KWH) plug in version.

Range on electric 30-35 miles (Plug in) 5 miles on Hybrid version. Combined (EPA) MPG running on just gas 58 mpg (87 octane).

Toyota had a full 6 years to make all these improvements. I they don't make the 2016 Prius a game changer, they lost the game.

bisco likes this.
  8. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    quite a few aftermarket rims now have 9 holes so they fit 4 bolt and 5 bolt patterns, you just turn it part way to pick whichever one you need.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to who?

10. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    to the coming wave of 200 mile range EVs from at least 3 different companies.

I expect eventually we'll see

Tesla Model 3 (50 kWh or higher)
    Nissan Leaf 2 (40 kWh or higher)
    Chevy Bolt (40 kWh or higher)
    Kia Soul EV (will they step up to the 40 kWh level or just do smaller incremental improvements?)
    Ford's unnamed 200 mile EV (40 kWh or higher)

and other overpriced options even less competitive than the above.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    while they will pick away at prius, even a game changer, ev's aren't really the competition. (uh-oh:eek:)

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plus the other hybrids coming out.
    Many car shoppers in the US will pick a 47mpg combined sedan like the Accord and Malibu hybrids over a 50mpg hatchback.
    While I don't expect the Hyundai Prius fighter to match or beat that 50mpg, I do expect it to under cut the Prius price.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Lucky for us, Toyota knows better

14. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you think EVs aren't the competition why was my progression

Saturn - Prius - Leaf

I still have the 2005 Prius but there wasn't enough improvement between Gen II and Gen III to make me want a Prius over an EV.

I made the switch and now I'm not looking back. The gen IV Prius design would have to be insanely better MPG to compete, math to follow:

-------

I get about 60 mpg on the Prius for easy math and pay about $2.50 for 100% gas, something like 4.2 cents per mile after oil changes.

Assuming no surprises on repairs for the Leaf I expect the cost per mile to always favor the Leaf with the comparison currently at

~2 cents per mile Leaf (around $0.10 per kWh)
    ~4 cents per mile Prius (around $2.50 per gallon)

with my costs in TN and assuming gas to kWh pricing stays in the ballpark of the current ratio of 25 to 1.

and that isn't counting in things like free charging in my work parking lot or at some L2 stations in town that make it even cheaper to drive the Leaf.

TomSwift likes this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If your choice of car was based on TCO, I'm curious how you calculated traction battery longevity and replacement cost.

16. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    * I bought the car used for $8995.
    * It had a battery at 83% SOH.
    * I have a 16 mile each way commute that currently uses about 18% SOC per one way commute
    * I figure 45% SOH will be enough for me to continue commuting as is**
    * at 6% degradation per year*** I can keep this up for another 6 years

** I don't know my winter efficiency yet but
    1. I'll be switching to LRR tires before winter (currently on non LRR tires that the used car dealer provided)
    2. I am garaged at home with L2 charging so I'll be able to preheat from shore power
    3. the car has heated seats / steering wheel so I don't expect to use cabin heat on the way to work but I will on the drive home.

*** Car was originally titled in NC, it's now in TN. I don't know if the past rate of degradation will continue. No idea if the first owner did L1 or L2 all the time or what their driving style was or if the car was garaged. 6% rate may be pessimistic, not sure yet.

In short I figure I can drive it until 2020 without replacing the battery. By then I expect I can get a $2000 or less battery replacement**** or I can buy another used EV with better range and turn this into a short range errand vehicle. Not expecting either choice to hurt my cost per mile. If I buy a new battery I'm offsetting buying another $10,000 car.

I still haven't bought a replacement battery for my 2005 Prius and it's 10 years later. I don't think I'll put 10 years on the Leaf battery but it might come close to doing that.

**** I expect the replacement pack to be 30 kWh or higher by the time I make the decision so buying the replacement pack will increase range to more than when the car was new in 2012. For convenience there may come a day that I upgrade the battery pack even though the old pack is still usable. In that case I'll have the luxury of timing it based on desire not necessity.

I also consider the odds that the car could be totaled before I buy a replacement battery and if so the decision of replacing the battery is deferred to the next EV I buy.

If you want to know how I am monitoring the battery or what the degradation rates typically are we should probably take this to the mynissanleaf.com forums and I'll be glad to go into more detail.

#36 dhanson865, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    because you and i are not representative of 96% of the driving public?

18. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota Prius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best they've done is 500,000 Prius world wide in a year with only about 180,000 in the US in the best year.

Tesla is going to be selling 500,000 a year in a few years and that isn't counting the sales of the others

Nissan
    Kia
    Ford
    Chevy

Just keep watching Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

They aren't up there yet but when the 200 mile EVs hit mainstream in a couple of years you'll see EV sales taking off.

I'm going to say that Tesla alone will crossover all Prius sales in 2018 if the Gen IV prius is conservative. It'll take to somewhere between 2019 to 2021 for Tesla to pull past Prius if Gen IV does something significant.

#38 dhanson865, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Trollbait likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    forecasting the future is difficult, i'll agree to disagree. it's easy to say what everyone is going to do in 5 years, gen IV will be covered in dust by then.

20. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Will Gen IV Prius be 2016 or 2017?

Telsa Model 3 will be here in quantity in 2018.

Nissan Leaf 2 will be here in 2017 or 2018.

I'm talking 2 years after Gen IV Prius comes out not 5. At least I'm assuming Gen IV won't hold interest that long.