1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

POLL: Would you be willing to broaden your horizons?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Nov 8, 2006.

?
  1. No, I don't think this sort of training would be of any value U.S. citizens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I think it would be worthwhile for Americans to learn more about other cultures.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not in this form, but the idea is worthy of further consideration

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 8 2006, 11:46 PM) [snapback]346083[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, gosh the true 'value added'...that's easy: keeping one's mind engaged with active learning is excellent exercise...besides, you'd have a better understanding of the world. What could be wrong with that?

Well, yes, I'll admit that the whole process might be irritating/too touchy-feely for some, but, honestly, the thoughts that one carries within one are manifested in one's actions...it's like (pardon me for using this example) a racist saying, "yes, I hate Blacks, but as long as I keep those emotions to myself, then it's okay."

You're probably familiar with this argument; I would humbly suggest that it's impossible to compartmentalize the two completely.

Also, I don't think that it's a good idea for anyone to isolate themselves in the manner which you mention. Why would you want to do that?

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 9 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]346103[/snapback]</div>
    'Cause he's insane. Hasn't that already been determined hundreds of times on this board?

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 8 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]346083[/snapback]</div>
    If America had understood the culture of the Middle East, we could have saved a trillion dollars and thousands of American lives by not getting embroiled in the quagmire of the Iraq war.

Ignorance may be bliss, but you, Squid (along with the rest of us) will pay for that ignorance in higher taxes, and the economic fallout of a dollar weakened by added debt, for at least the next decade, and maybe longer.

Have a happy day!

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 9 2006, 02:27 AM) [snapback]346103[/snapback]</div>
    "impossibility" is a word only closed minded people use.

I disagree, I shouldn't be forced to like anything for any reason, whether is be personal choice, genetic, or various proportions thereof. The whole compartmentalization argument exists solely as a defense mechanism. I don't like greasy people with oily skin that smell, as long as I don't take any action based on my bias of them, it's all fair game...

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I don't like greasy people with oily skin that smell"

Really, squid, you have to stop talking about yourself!

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 9 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]346220[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't matter though Daniel!

Think about it in this light:

You only live once, so, if you could live totally happy in some sort of ignort personal bliss, and never know otherwise, why bother?

I'll use my teenage years as an example. Through those years, all I did, was drive around (parent's ONCE suggested getting a job or no more gas money, I just laughed and siphoned it from various cars in various parking lots, hell with work back then, I knew my teenage years would be the "golden" years of my life), hang out with friends, play video games, go out on dates, that sort of thing. I don't think a day went by where I was anything less than happy and carefree. Heck, if you had asked me who's President back in '88, I'd probably have to think really hard, or look it up. Point is, you've only got one shot at this thing called life, if upon death, you could choose to relive any part of your life over, would you pick anything that wasted your time, or was for the benefit of others? :ph34r:

7. jared2

jared2 New Member

"If America had understood the culture of the Middle East, we could have saved a trillion dollars and thousands of American lives by not getting embroiled in the quagmire of the Iraq war."

The assumption here seems to be that Iraq was invaded out of ignorance.
    It was invaded, quite deliberately, to make a few people fabulously wealthy. It succeeded in doing just that.

Don't take my word for it. Here is what a general said:

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.

A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."

Major General Smedley Darlington Butler

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 9 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]346234[/snapback]</div>
    That's the difference, in my opinion, between micro- and macro-impact. In true micro-impact style, you most likely did not affect anyone other than yourself directly. Unless, of course, you voted. If you and several thousand other non-educated, self-indulgent, auto centric individuals went to the polls in total ignorant bliss and swayed the results of an election, that is an example of macro-influence. To look at one person in the world, you would think that there is no harm in ignorance. Shout in the wind; no one cares. But when presented with an opportunity every two years to ban together and decide the direction of the country, the cumulative ignorant voice of those individuals is deafening.

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 9 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]346224[/snapback]</div>
    But the thought and the deed are always linked, even if you're not at that moment aware of it.

If you don't like "greasy people with oily skin that smell," you'll try not to sit next to them at a baseball game, or not talk to them at the grocery store, or not encourage their children to play with yours, or whatever, right...?

Certainly moreso than if you didn't feel this way.

And then they'll wonder why you're avoiding them...and they'll either infer that you don't like them, or there's something 'wrong' with them...

And then they'll vote against programs that benefit you, and you'll vote against programs that benefit them...

And that's how the country becomes divided.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Nov 9 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]346260[/snapback]</div>
    My point was that a properly-educated public would not have permitted it. Of course, the folks in charge will not permit the public to be properly educated. Thus we have television.

But of course you are right that Iraq was invaded deliberately, with criminal intent, by the criminals who run our country, with the explicit approval of the criminals who were out of power but hoping to get in power (and who, after January 1, will control one of the three branches of government, and be in a position to get some of that graft for themselves).

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 8 2006, 11:01 PM) [snapback]345963[/snapback]</div>
    Are you going to deny that this is what the majority of current "diversity" training turns into? I have been to some of those classes. Just like Domestic violence awareness turns into male bashing.

Do you live in the real world?

12. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 9 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]346739[/snapback]</div>
    I'll deny it. In none of my classes did they say "This is a better way." They just said: "Here's how the other cultures live." That's it. It's up to you to make the comparisons if that's your spin. I just like hearing and seeing what other do. Been to a museum recently? The Museum of Natural History in DC has some fascinating exhibits on other modern cultures. And not once do they say "Here's how the Peruvians are better then America."

And your domestice violence awareness training--did it bash all males, or just the violent ones? The problem with that is?

And, btw, diversity training at the workplace is more about accepting each other for who they are--it teaches how to accept others, but not necessarily about their cultures as a whole.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 9 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]346739[/snapback]</div>
    I've been to several cultural diversity seminars. And no, they do not bash anyone. As Lively says, they're all about accepting people for who they are.

Of course, for you, Schmika, the "real world" is a fantasy where a loving god sends 99.9 percent of the human race to an everlasting hell, while those who believe in Jesus go to heaven, no matter what sort of life they've lived. You're a curious one to talk about the "real world."

However, what I was talking about above are not cultural diversity seminars. I'm talking about educating people about how the rest of the world lives, what they believe, how they organize their families and their social and political and economic institutions, where their roots lie, how they get on with the neighboring cultures, etc.

The problem with some fundamentalists is that when you ask them to learn about how other people live, they immediately think you're trying to convert them, maybe because they're so preoccupied with trying to convert everyone else.

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that if someone wants to live in ignorance in the US and never be around others then let them be ignorant.

There were times when I was overseas that we would speak Italian to avoid talking to or getting involved with the pigheaded American tourists that give us "normal" folk a bad name! When going to another country you should be aware of their customs. These people would be irritated at the custom of riposa in the smaller towns.....I want to shop, why are you closing? Ordering food at some restaurants was torturous for some and if they had no Italian language skills then the tolerance level decreased. The waiter in Rome was so happy when I said the Italian menu was fine, our overall experience was better because we were prepared.

Learning about the rest of the world is something that can only enrich our lives, and increase the joy of living. There is good and bad in every society and country. The world is not as big as you think and we do have to share it.

I asked my driver in London why there seemed to be so much less stress with immigrants there. He said it was because Britain had gone in not just as rulers but that they lived amongst the culture and adapted to it. Both the English and the people they ruled over adapted to each other. It seemed to make odd sense.

15. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Nov 10 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]346757[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I loved riposa when I was there (small town in Sardinia). I thought it was just wonderful...sorry...you brought back great memories of Italia!

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 9 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]346739[/snapback]</div>
    But, statistically, males *are* responsible for most violent crimes, aren't they? So why should this not be addressed?

I'm not suggesting some sort of rote training process...I want to address folks like Mr. Squid, who may have a bias against certain people...all that I'm asking is that we explore more deeply what that bias is based upon...not that one is required to "think differently."

You might find that education just naturally amends the thought processes.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, it seems some people would rather not be 'cultured'. That's a shame, though society may be better off if certain individuals keep to their own small ponds. Still, I can't help but think that somehow our education system has failed them, and ultimately, us. Maybe I take this multiculturalism thing for granted, living in a city where I can order 50 different kinds of 'ethnic' food, and where a classroom of 30 kids is made up of 25 different nationalities. Racism still exists, and not just among the 'white' folks, but for the most part everybody gets along. I'm not saying it's one big happy family, but it does seem more difficult to continue prejudice against our immediate neighbours than people we know nothing about.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Nov 9 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]346757[/snapback]</div>
    My first time in Europe, I was not yet a vegetarian. If I could not read the menu, I'd ask the waiter what he recommended. I was never disappointed. I didn't always know what I was eating, but I always enjoyed it.

Being vegetarian, or having food allergies, in a country where you do not speak the language would be very difficult.

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 10 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]347212[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a bit surprised, too. I've always thought that the very act of learning is beneficial.

I mean, people lift weights and run on treadmills so their bodies can develop, and it's not only accepted but encouraged by our society...why doesn't this hold true with reading and the mind?

It's odd, too, how folks can decide that something they know little or nothing about is not worthy of their time...without having any real understanding of it in the first place! (a la George Bush and his response to the question, if he was planning on seeing 'An Inconvenient Truth.')

This is deeply troubling to me.

Learning is fun.

It's good for us.
    It probably helps prevent Alzheimer's.
    It helps with the decision-making process.
    It makes us seem more interesting at parties and social events (huh?).
    It helps us earn more money (ahhh, now you're listening!).
    Personally, I find a learned person tremendously fascinating (sometimes a little intimidating, too).
    It can help fight racism and the other 'isms' out there by humanizing "those people."
    It can help us be more united.
    It can help us be a stronger country.
    It can help us fight the creeping malaise which is threatening everything we stand for.

I *dare* those who doubt this to step away from the TV (or whatever it is you do for relaxation), Dedicate, say, three hours every week. Pick up a book on something which you know little about, but were always interested in. Let your imagination run free, almost like a child's, and refrain from judgement.

You might be surprised!

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 10 2006, 01:47 AM) [snapback]346744[/snapback]</div>
    Good for you, I guess here it didn't work that way. I guess I should have said all the diversity classes I have attended turn into "This is why this culture is better than America's.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 10 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]347115[/snapback]</div>

From experinece only. Doubt you will find any study proving this. It would be killed quickly. The VAST majority of domestic violence situations are...gasp...shudder, TWO very emotionally unstable people living together who should not be.......the "poster child" domestic violence situation is RARE.

Also, the female who is truly the "poster girl" for battered woman syndrome is RARE.

I have averaged, in my career, 4 DV calls a week, for 45-48 weeks a year, for 18 years I spent on the street.

So, what does that mean? Nothing really. But some really bad laws have been written based on the presumption that the Majority of DV's WOULD BE SOLVED BY THE LAWS....T'AINT SO.........