1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pondering: Loss of the oil pan

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, not the one on the vehicle....

The pan that was a fixture on <most> garage floors/driveways in the 1950s/60s.

Was walking down a dirt logging road early today and noticed a "splat" of motor oil in the center of the road every 20 feet or so...was thinking that cars for the past -- what -- 20 years, 30 years -- just don't leak as the cars of yesteryear leaked. Suppose it is better engineering.

Guess not a real point here, just the thoughts of a retired guy walking down the road on a rainy January day...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I was out to see my folks in northeastern Pennsylvania, they have an old Allis Chalmers backhoe:):

07BD810C-E815-426E-A296-88B0E0CB920E.jpeg

Lets just say to fill the 30 yard bin behind it, we worked the hydraulics hard :eek:.

What you describe of the logging road matches the rate of hydraulic fluid exiting the hose on the boom:cool:.

But we got the bin filled to the brim and it served its job(y).

Mark57 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A largish, low-walled rectangular pan, semi-permanently ensconced under a car's engine bay on garage floor? I vaguely remember those.

I picked up this oil drain pan in the early eighties. These days for oil draining I use a no-spill can with a large funnel, saves scraping/wiping the oil out of the old pan.

But I still use the old pan, for spill insurance, messy parts cleaning:

IMG_1815.JPG

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeps.

Some substituted a large square of cardboard, but that had it's problem if it was outisde in the wind. Actually think last time I used an oil drip pan was around 1980 at my apartment in Covina, CA while I was going to school at Cal Poly Pomona. Was living with a girlfriend, whom later became wife.

In those days finding an apartment owner that would rent to an unmarried couple was not easy -- at least in Southern California.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    especially if you showed up with an oil drip pan

Mendel Leisk and scona like this.
  6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shoo, showing up with an oil pan should be a plus...showed I was clean and responsible!!

What's that new thing you have next to your name...a hook and tackle for the White Whale???

Was just thinking though. Don't know about other folks, and maybe it was I only applied to "respectable" places, but, it was near impossible in the mid '70's for an unmarried couple to rent an apartment. Oh, sure, we could have lied, but, that was (and is not) the way I do things.

#6 Stevewoods, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fibbin's worked for us, for maybe 45 years now. (y)

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I played house with my girlfriend (now wife) for a couple of years before we tied the knot;).

It was originally a hard sell for my religious mother, but then she met her and understood:).

Now she has 2 grandkids and the daughter she never had:love:.

The long interview process is a good way to make sure everyone knows what they are getting into(y).