1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PooF! $550.00 Video card up in Smoke and Flames!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Apr 16, 2007.

1. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry about the blowout Wildkow. I had a EPOX motherboard do the same thing to me a few months back. Since the board was about 5 years old, I wasn't too bummed. A good time to upgrade. Since your card isn't very old hopefully they will send you a new one so you can get back to folding.

good luck,

-Peter B

2. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All I buy is EVGA Nvidia cards and I have never had a problem with on. I'm running two in SLI mode currently and couldn't be happier....

Wildkow are you a gamer?

3. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 16 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]424422[/snapback]</div>

I haven't looked at boards yet (I was truthfully trying to wait for barcelona to come out in June/July-- I DOUBT this will happen though). My current power supply is a cosair 620w model, its already seated in my case-antec p180b (version 1.1). I'm growing impatient and memory prices have been rock bottom these past few weeks ... I might just go get everything depending on the size of my next couple of pay checks....

4. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 17 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]424972[/snapback]</div>
    Huh, that's odd. It is definitely GX270's that are failing for me. Doing a quick google search on the two models, it looks like they both had the same issue. The capacitors were bulging on the first one I looked at. After that I just called dell for motherboard replacements once the dreaded "thermal event error" messages started appearing on boot.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J.Wilkie @ Apr 18 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]425533[/snapback]</div>
    I used to be but now adays I play UT and that's about it. My handle is. . . believe it or not "Wildkow" and I usually play the slower versions of the game like sniper/camping servers and MonsterHunts. Mainly because I'm <strike>getting</strike> old, the hand eye coordination isn't there and I don't see to well either. :angry: :lol: :( The young guns run circles around me and frag me with ease. Then taunt me much like the liberals on this board! :rolleyes:

Wildkow

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok yesterday I get an e-mail from the RMA department saying that the return is approved and outlining all the steps I have to take. This morning I go out and mail it off and come home. Just checked my e-mail a short while ago and the RMA Supervisor writes to tell me sorry the RMA is not approved. Grrrrrrrrr. . . I'm going to lay low and not say anything, not easy for me, hopefully it will just go through the process and someone in the RMA dept. will send me off another one. ;)

Wildkow

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 19 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]426462[/snapback]</div>
    I really hope you get your replacement. I don't think that the supervisor should be able to reverse everything after an email has already been sent out. The company should just eat the costs and train their staff better if an RMA should not have been issued.

8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen cards with similiar burn marks after being placed into a slot that had metal shavings in it... Sometimes a piece of solder can fall into a slot and cause problems.

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 16 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]424129[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

Long story short:

GWB's foreign policy ultimately encourages cheap and shoddy labor...

10. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Apr 16 2007, 11:47 AM) [snapback]424129[/snapback]</div>
    You mention that the card is a warranty replacement – what killed the original one?
    What was the problrm with the original power supply?
    Is it possible that a BIOS setting for the PCI Express x16 slot caused the original (and the current) failures.
    What kind of intermittent problems you had with XP? – could be an updated (from Microsoft) video driver to blame.
    More than once after doing MS hardware driver updates I ended up with scrambled video
    (That’s why I regularly do a Symantec GHOST image backup of my drives and ALWAYS before any driver or hardware update/upgrade).

I’ve made it a habit of keeping a couple of “vanilla†PCI and AGP video cards so that I can get the system up if my real video card kicks the bucket.

Many times XP instability can be cured with simple remedies since re-installing XP (especially after you have installed SP2) can be, at best, a hairy experience:

In safe mode delete any files in
    C:\TEMP,
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name> \Local Settings\Temp
    (Note <User Name> any assigned user on the computer, repeat for all assigned users)

For video problems:
    (Provided you have original video card CD)
    In safe mode reset the video mode to “standard vga†by uninstalling the video card,
    rebooting again in safe mode, verifying that you are in plain old VGA and re-installing the drivers in safe mode.

Hope you resolve the issue :)

That's why they DID NOT call it XPA (eXtended Pain in the nice person)

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 20 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]426671[/snapback]</div>
    <div align="center">:lol:</div>

I knew that! :p

Wildkow

p.s. Squid you kill me!